Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 17:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2 Candidates: Same Nationality, same undergraduate school...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

2 Candidates: Same Nationality, same undergraduate school... [#permalink] New post 01 May 2004, 02:12
Hi,

After I read a previous message of Alain about his girlfriend's and his application to MBA, I have a similar question in mind too. My friend and I are applying to top-five MBA schools in US this year. We have the same undergraduate background: same major, same college (in Asia), not much different GPAs (both of us got Honors). Then, we went to pursue our study at two different universities in US, both of which are ranked among the top three Engineering Schools in the States. This time, we did different majors, different disciplines of Engineering. Since our graduation, we both have worked in Finance&Banking area, in different countries. One apparent difference among us though, is that he's a guy while I am a girl. However, I am quite worried that if both of us apply to the same school this year, one of us will get rejected since our profiles are too similar, with same undergraduate major, same age, similar working years of experience, similar GPAs, similar type of work experience. What do you think?
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

Re: 2 Candidates: Same Nationality, same undergraduate schoo [#permalink] New post 02 May 2004, 14:49
Expert's post
rachada wrote:
Hi,
However, I am quite worried that if both of us apply to the same school this year, one of us will get rejected since our profiles are too similar, with same undergraduate major, same age, similar working years of experience, similar GPAs, similar type of work experience. What do you think?

My advice to you is the same that I gave to Alain. You and your friend have different enoughy profiles that no application reader will simply treat the two of you as being the same person. I can almost guarantee you that, given the number of applications that each school receives, there will be other applicants who sound MORE like your friend than you do! Realistically, there's little chance that your application will have an effect on your friend's chances, and vice versa.

If you're really worried about it, the two if you could agree to apply in different application rounds (Round 1 and Round 2 are considered pretty much the same), but I really don't think that this is necessary.

Good luck!
Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Difference between Applications on Round 1 and 2? [#permalink] New post 07 May 2004, 01:36
Thanks for your reply, Scott. Anyhow, if my friend and I really apply on two different rounds and the one who applies on the first round get accepted, will the one who applies on the later round has a lower chance of getting acceptance?

Or you think the admissions will compare the applicants within the same round only?

Please clarify me. Thanks... :)

-Rach-
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

Re: Difference between Applications on Round 1 and 2? [#permalink] New post 07 May 2004, 06:47
Expert's post
rachada wrote:
Thanks for your reply, Scott. Anyhow, if my friend and I really apply on two different rounds and the one who applies on the first round get accepted, will the one who applies on the later round has a lower chance of getting acceptance?

Well, they're probably less likely to compare applicants from two separate rounds. But again, please remember how many people are applying... THOUSANDS! To worry about one other applicant doesn't make a lot of sense. Think about a big bank or consulting firm that sends dozens of students to top b-schools every year. Those applicants are obviously fairly similar to one another, and they get in. So, don't worry about it too much!

Focus on making your application as strong as it can be, not on differentiating yourself from one other person.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 08 May 2004, 00:05
Thanks for your enlightening reply, Scott :)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: 2 Candidates: Same Nationality, same undergraduate schoo [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2004, 17:07
rachada wrote:
we did different majors, different disciplines of Engineering. Since our graduation, we both have worked in Finance&Banking area

Rachada, i'm just curious - you said you switched to Finance with diploma in Engineering.
i'm asking because I used to think that in US people tend to work in the area of their university degree.
once I heard that the person with engineering degree from Georgia Tech went to work for Morgan Stanley.
was it difficult to switch? why did you graduate in Engineering instead of Finance?