Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 06:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

XX

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
XX [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2010, 04:30
This post was
BOOKMARKED
- Deleted -

My GMAT story: 730 Debrief

Last edited by Rosser on 25 Nov 2012, 08:18, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 388 [1] , given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 2 Odd weeks left - -- Help [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2010, 21:44
This post received
KUDOS
Hello mohit11,

What do you mean by "The MGMAT analysis throws out random results"? There are many different raw score combinations that can result in the same overall score (i.e. I have a 48/38 and a 710, and I have seen many people iwth a 49/39 and a 710).

Also remember, strike rate on its own is worthless. Your score depends on strike rate AND the difficulty of the problem. Getting an easy problem incorrect will impede your ability to score a 700 more than getting a harder problem incorrect.

Have you gone through and read debriefs to figure out what has worked for others? This should help you establish some sort of game plan to overcome these shortcomings.

Best of luck,

mohater

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2 Odd weeks left - -- Help [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2010, 22:24
Hi Mohater,

Many thanks for replying, I do go through the debriefs and have learned a few tricks from them. I've taken two Manhattan Tests so far, and my Verbal score is pretty consistent with and so are my mistakes.

For the Verbal part,

I. When i am practicing SC offline (timed) i tend to get approximately 80 percent of SC correct. However, on verbal tests, i tend to get easy SC questions right, however, my strike rate drops considerably in 700- 800 level questions. and when i go back to some of these questions i feel i could have got the question right, but then its too late.

I've gone through Manhattan SC bible, I've done Kaplan 800, I have made notes, i have noted down errors i tend to make in SC. I have practiced a lot. Perhaps all i can do is continue to practice and eventually get better.

2. For RC, i am pretty good at RC, for MGMAT tests, i ended up rushing through the last RC and thats why i got those RC's wrong. But i am still comfortable with RC questions.

3. For CR, I initially went through Manhattan CR book, had a hit rate of 85 percent on OG10 CR questions. However, MGMAT's CR stumped me, i realized that perhaps there is some gap in my logical reasoning, and i have started reviewing Power Score CR bible, having gone through the initial chapter i do realize that i was committing some logical errors and perhaps i can get better at them. After completing the PR CR bible i plan to do questions in OG12.

Another problem is that on most of the SC and CR questions, i am never sure if my answer is 100 percent right or not.

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 388 [1] , given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 2 Odd weeks left - -- Help [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2010, 22:58
This post received
KUDOS
Again, strike rate on its own is WORTHLESS.

When you're doing practice problems, they tend to be in ascending difficulty order (with the OG and math/verbal review). Therefore, having an excellent strike rate doesn't really mean much.

When you begin to do well on GMATPrep or MGMAT tests (among others), you will see a larger % of more difficult questions. Thus, when you say you have no issues on practice problems and then suddenly have issues on the test, this leads me to think you have a timing issue and an issue with dealing with 650+ problems.

Regarding CR/RC:
There is always a right and wrong answer on the GMAT. Yes, answers appear ambiguous at times, but there is always an answer that is correct vs an answer that uses some language that makes it more far fetched.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2 Odd weeks left - -- Help [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2010, 23:23
Quote:
this leads me to think you have a timing issue and an issue with dealing with 650+ problems.

Yup, these two seem to be the 2 major suspects. I'll work on these, Thank you appreciate the reply.

Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2 Odd weeks left - -- Help [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 13:54
With only two weeks left, its really important to use any error log you may have kept wisely, focusing most of your time on those areas that hurt you the most. If there you have to prioritize according to a general standard, I'd suggest focusing on sentence correction first, Data Sufficiency next, then Problem Solving, then Critical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension. This sequence is based on the likelihood of actual improvement within a short period of time.

For improving sentence correction, look at your most common errors and break them down into some of th most common types the GMAT uses: pronoun errors, misplaced modifiers, parallel construction errors, tense errors, subject-verb agreement errors, comparison errors, quantity errors, idiom errors, etc. Focus on those error types that are your weakest. Learn to quickly scan the sentence looking for these types of mistakes and also learn to scan the answer choices to see what error they are trying to make you think it is.

If you need any help with tutoring in the 2 weeks you have left, let us know. We'd be glad to help you. Let us know how you did!

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2010, 04:19
-deleted -

Last edited by Rosser on 25 Nov 2012, 08:17, edited 3 times in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2 Odd weeks left - -- Help [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2010, 06:47
This post received
KUDOS