Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 05:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2 SC Qs: Public-access cable and guiding principles

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 6

2 SC Qs: Public-access cable and guiding principles [#permalink] New post 07 May 2010, 20:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

20% (02:17) correct 80% (00:47) wrong based on 10 sessions
1. Public-access cable television was created in the 1970s as a means to derive public benefit from the laying of private television cables on public land.

A) from the laying of private television cables on public land
B) from laying private television cables on the public land
C) by the laying of private television cables on the public's land
D) from private television cables being laid on public land
E) by laying private television cables on land that was public

2. The guiding principles of the tax plan released by the Treasury Department could have even a greater significance for the economy than the particulars of the plan.

(A) even a greater significance for the economy than
(B) a significance that is even greater for the economy than
(C) even greater significance for the economy than have
(D) even greater significance for the economy than do
(E) a significance even greater for the economy than have
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 1

Re: 2 SC [#permalink] New post 07 May 2010, 21:23
Yup,agree with A and D..let me know if explanations are needed
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 733 [0], given: 40

Re: 2 SC [#permalink] New post 07 May 2010, 23:47
These are already discussed.

1. manhattan-gmat-test1-sc-set-93006.html
[seekmba, you have explained this already. :lol:]

2. sc-guiding-principles-73603.html

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 11

Re: 2 SC [#permalink] New post 10 May 2010, 17:13
Hey All,

I was asked privately to take on these questions, so even though there are already explanations elsewhere, I'll do it!

1. Public-access cable television was created in the 1970s as a means to derive public benefit from the laying of private television cables on public land.

A) from the laying of private television cables on public land
ANSWER: Nothing wrong so far as I can see.

B) from laying private television cables on the public land
PROBLEM: I'm not sure there's any problem with removing the article before "laying" ("the"). This is a gerund either way (For example: "THE running of the bulls is a crazy fun event." OR: "Running with the bulls is crazy fun.") However, putting "the" in front of public land makes it sound specific ("the" is a definite pronoun, which always makes things sound specific), as opposed to general public land, which is what we want to describe.

C) by the laying of private television cables on the public's land
PROBLEM: Idiom should be "benefit from" not "benefit by". Make "public" possessive is a bit logically weird, if not grammatically incorrect.

D) from private television cables being laid on public land
PROBLEM: We always hate "being". This is a terrible construction when we could just choose the gerund form in A/B.

E) by laying private television cables on land that was public
PROBLEM: Idiom. And what the heck is that "was public" about?

2. The guiding principles of the tax plan released by the Treasury Department could have even a greater significance for the economy than the particulars of the plan.

(A) even a greater significance for the economy than
PROBLEM: Idiomatically, we can only put the word "even" before a word without an article, not the other way around. I can say "an even better mousetrap", but I can't say "even a better mousetrap".

(B) a significance that is even greater for the economy than
PROBLEM: This is a comparison question, so we need to work out the two things we want to compare. In this case it's "the guiding principles" (having a greater significance) than "the particulars". The problem is that without the "do" we get in D, there are two possible readings of this sentence. Either the significance of the principles is greater than for the economy than the particulars are greater for the economy (the meaning we want), or the significance of the principles is greater for the economy than the particulars (of something...in general).

It's a long version of "I play with Dave better than John." In that sentence, it could be that I play better with Dave than I do with John, or that I play with Dave better than John plays with Dave. Whenever there are two possible readings, you need to add something to clarify.

(C) even greater significance for the economy than have
PROBLEM: A weird parallel thing happens here. The first "have" is part of a conditional ("With more money, I could have everything I want."). But this second have sounds like the past perfect tense ("Those principles have had a lot of significance"). This represents a change in tense that we don't want.

(D) even greater significance for the economy than do
ANSWER: Gets the comparison right (adding the word "do").

(E) a significance even greater for the economy than have
PROBLEM: Comparison is wrong here. Sounds like greater for the economy than for something else. Also, the "have" is still wrong.

Hope that helps!

-tommy

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 16

Re: 2 SC [#permalink] New post 10 May 2010, 19:34
I think number 1 is b, a is to wordy
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 11

Re: 2 SC [#permalink] New post 11 May 2010, 16:27
Hey DAYNE,

You'll find that concision/wordiness is a VERY RARE issue on the GMAT. It gets mentioned in all guidebooks (because it does occasionally happen), and this often fools students into thinking that it's common. IT IS NOT. In fact, if you focus on it, odds are you'll end up missing some more important grammatical rule. Go with concision when ALL ELSE FAILS, otherwise focus on other aspects of the sentence that are different.

There is NOTHING wordy about A here, because every word is used correctly. In B, the "the" before public land changes the meaning (this is what definite articles do: "A definite article indicates that its noun is a particular one (or ones) identifiable to the listener. It may be the same thing that the speaker has already mentioned, or it may be something uniquely specified. The definite article in English is the.), because this IS NOT a piece of land that has any special significance, nor one that has already been mentioned. WE CANNOT use "the" in this way.

Hope that helps!

-tommy

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 16

Re: 2 SC [#permalink] New post 11 May 2010, 18:01
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey DAYNE,

You'll find that concision/wordiness is a VERY RARE issue on the GMAT. It gets mentioned in all guidebooks (because it does occasionally happen), and this often fools students into thinking that it's common. IT IS NOT. In fact, if you focus on it, odds are you'll end up missing some more important grammatical rule. Go with concision when ALL ELSE FAILS, otherwise focus on other aspects of the sentence that are different.

There is NOTHING wordy about A here, because every word is used correctly. In B, the "the" before public land changes the meaning (this is what definite articles do: "A definite article indicates that its noun is a particular one (or ones) identifiable to the listener. It may be the same thing that the speaker has already mentioned, or it may be something uniquely specified. The definite article in English is the.), because this IS NOT a piece of land that has any special significance, nor one that has already been mentioned. WE CANNOT use "the" in this way.

Hope that helps!

-tommy

thanks for the reply and will take heed.
Re: 2 SC   [#permalink] 11 May 2010, 18:01