Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 14:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2) Unlike elite runners, whose times are calculated from

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 104

Kudos [?]: 1084 [2] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
2) Unlike elite runners, whose times are calculated from [#permalink] New post 27 May 2013, 05:34
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

57% (01:48) correct 43% (01:19) wrong based on 53 sessions
2)Unlike elite runners, whose times are calculated from the starter's pistol to the finish line, marathon times are calculated using a computer chip attached to each competitor's shoe.

(A)Unlike elite runners, whose times are calculated from the starter's pistol to the finish line,
(B)Besides elite runners, whose times are calculated from the starter's pistol to the finish line,
(C)With the exception of elite runners, times for whom are calculated from the starter's pistol to the finish line,
(D)Unless the runner is elite, in which case the time is calculated from the starter's pistol to the finish line,
(E)With the exception being elite runners, whose times are calculated from the starter's pistol to the finish line,

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Re: Verbal Challenge 2.2: SC Questions [#permalink] New post 27 May 2013, 05:34
This post received
KUDOS
3)By the second week of the department store's "Going Out of Business" sale, there was only a little shirts and not much other clothing left on the racks.

(A)was only a little shirts and not much other clothing
(B)were only a few shirts and not many other clothing
(C)were only a few shirts and not much other clothing
(D)was only a little shirt and other clothing
(E)were only a few shirts and other clothings

Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Re: Verbal Challenge 2.2: SC Questions [#permalink] New post 27 May 2013, 05:35
This post received
KUDOS
4)While most graduate students find that their education has prepared them well for their future careers, some express concern over their education lacking real-world application, having, for example, been given homework that is unrepresentative of realistic scenarios or having been assigned to group projects that do not adequately consider the skills of the individual participants.

(A)having, for example, been given homework that is unrepresentative of realistic scenarios or having been
(B)having, for example, homework that is unrepresentative of realistic scenarios or being
(C)as, for example, having too unrealistic a scenario in their homework, or being
(D)when they have, for example, been given unrealistic scenarios in their homework, or were
(E)for example, when they have homework that is unrepresentative of realistic scenarios, or been

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Re: Verbal Challenge 2.2: SC Questions [#permalink] New post 27 May 2013, 05:35
This post received
KUDOS
5)Growing out of a need for affordable housing during the Great Depression, the first student housing cooperatives were structured as not-for-profit organizations, whose members made small payments toward their room and board, then taking turns performing household duties, such as meal preparation and property maintenance.

(A)board, then taking turns performing
(B)board, and then taking turns performing
(C)board and then took turns performing
(D)board and then took turns, they performed
(E)board and then took turns and performed

Source: Various. It will be specified on each question after the split.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.83
WE: Accounting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 40 [1] , given: 23

Re: Verbal Challenge 2.2: SC Questions [#permalink] New post 27 May 2013, 06:36
This post received
KUDOS
Unlike elite runners, whose times are calculated from the starter's pistol to the finish line, marathon times are calculated using a computer chip attached to each competitor's shoe.

(A)Unlike elite runners, whose times are calculated from the starter's pistol to the finish line, highlighted part is compared with time
(B)Besides elite runners, whose times are calculated from the starter's pistol to the finish line, Wrong comparision too
(C)With the exception of elite runners, times for whom are calculated from the starter's pistol to the finish line, BINGO :idea:
(D)Unless the runner is elite, in which case the time is calculated from the starter's pistol to the finish line, Highlighted part incorrectly modifies elite
(E)With the exception being elite runners, whose times are calculated from the starter's pistol to the finish line, being is not correct and sentence is weird too

Do not forget to hit the Kudos button on your left if you find my post helpful.

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [2] , given: 23

Re: Verbal Challenge 2.2: SC Questions [#permalink] New post 27 May 2013, 06:45
This post received
KUDOS
3)By the second week of the department store's "Going Out of Business" sale, there was only a little shirts and not much other clothing left on the racks.

(A)was only a little shirts and not much other clothing shirts are countable so little is wrong also singular was is wrong
(B)were only a few shirts and not many other clothing many other clothing sounds weird
(C)were only a few shirts and not much other clothing...I guess it is the right one
few shirts and few other clothings sounds weird
It is a guess.....correct me if anything is wrong :oops:

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Verbal Challenge 2.2: SC Questions [#permalink] New post 27 May 2013, 06:53
This post received
KUDOS
4)While most graduate students find that their education has prepared them well for their future careers, some express concern over their education lacking real-world application, having, for example, been given homework that is unrepresentative of realistic scenarios or having been assigned to group projects that do not adequately consider the skills of the individual participants.

(A)having, for example, been given homework that is unrepresentative of realistic scenarios or having been Only because of parallelism
(B)having, for example, homework that is unrepresentative of realistic scenarios or being passive
(C)as, for example, having too unrealistic a scenario in their homework, or being passive
(D)when they have, for example, been given unrealistic scenarios in their homework, or were past tense not required
(E)for example, when they have homework that is unrepresentative of realistic scenarios, or been Tempting but not correct

These five questions are real toughies but attempting for the sake of Kudos....i severely need kudos....15 more to go :)

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Verbal Challenge 2.2: SC Questions [#permalink] New post 27 May 2013, 07:52
This post received
KUDOS
5)Growing out of a need for affordable housing during the Great Depression, the first student housing cooperatives were structured as not-for-profit organizations, whose members made small payments toward their room and board, then taking turns performing household duties, such as meal preparation and property maintenance.

(A)board, then taking turns performing made and taking not parallel
(B)board, and then taking turns performing same as A
(C)board and then took turns performing BINGO they took turns to perform something
(D)board and then took turns, they performed Run-On sentence
(E)board and then took turns and performed Sounds as if took turn and worked at different times.

I hope i will receive kudos, though it may be wrong..... :oops:

Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.96
WE: Research (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 126

Re: Verbal Challenge 2.2: SC Questions [#permalink] New post 27 May 2013, 08:19
Zarrolou wrote:
2)Unlike elite runners, whose times are calculated from the starter's pistol to the finish line, marathon times are calculated using a computer chip attached to each competitor's shoe.

(A)Unlike elite runners, whose times are calculated from the starter's pistol to the finish line,
(B)Besides elite runners, whose times are calculated from the starter's pistol to the finish line,
(C)With the exception of elite runners, times for whom are calculated from the starter's pistol to the finish line,
(D)Unless the runner is elite, in which case the time is calculated from the starter's pistol to the finish line,
(E)With the exception being elite runners, whose times are calculated from the starter's pistol to the finish line,

Well for me A and B are contenders.... Now, the problem with A, i think, is the use of work UNLlKE....as it starts a comparison and the statement illogically compares runners to marathon times... so A is out...Now B is better with the use of word Besides...!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.96
WE: Research (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 126

Re: Verbal Challenge 2.2: SC Questions [#permalink] New post 27 May 2013, 08:22
This post received
KUDOS
Zarrolou wrote:

IMO B and C are contenders.... and these test the rule of countable n uncountable nouns...i m not very sure abt my answer but i ll go with "C"
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 182 [1] , given: 17

Re: Verbal Challenge 2.2: SC Questions [#permalink] New post 27 May 2013, 21:24
This post received
KUDOS
- Non-underlined portion starts with MARATHON TIMES, so in order to make a proper comparison the underlined portion MUST start with some sort of TIME rather than RUNNERS. INCORRECT

Same error as in A. Moreover use of BESIDES is incorrect because author wants to compare two different things rather than finding out the similarities. INCORRECT.

- Best among the rest. CORRECT

RUN ON. Moreover the sentence is unnecessarily lengthy. INCORRECT

-INCORRECT

Kudos will encourage many others, like me.
Good Questions also deserve few KUDOS.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Verbal Challenge 2.2: SC Questions [#permalink] New post 27 May 2013, 21:43
This post received
KUDOS
- WAS is incorrect because the compound subject "Shirt & clothing" is used. SHIRT is a countable noun thus the use of LITTLE is unwarranted. INCORRECT

-CLOTHING is a Non-countable noun thus the use of MANY is unwarranted. INCORRECT

(C)were only a few shirts and not much other clothing- CORRECT

- WAS is incorrect because the compound subject "Shirt & clothing" is used. SHIRT is a countable noun thus the use of LITTLE is unwarranted. INCORRECT

-CLOTHING is a Non-countable noun thus the use of PLURAL is unwarranted. INCORRECT

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Verbal Challenge 2.2: SC Questions [#permalink] New post 27 May 2013, 22:07
This post received
KUDOS
(A)board, then taking turns performing - RUN ON
(C)board and then took turns performing- CORRECT
(D)board and then took turns, they performed- RUN ON
(E)board and then took turns and performed- unnecessary long

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Verbal Challenge 2.2: SC Questions [#permalink] New post 27 May 2013, 23:05
This post received
KUDOS
(A)having, for example, been given homework that is unrepresentative of realistic scenarios or having been- this is best among the rest. - By far the best option. CORRECT

(B)having, for example, homework that is unrepresentative of realistic scenarios or being
- HAVING Homework or BEING assigned does not make any sense. INCORRECT

(C)as, for example, having too unrealistic a scenario in their homework, or being - in this option AS is used to present example but such is incorrect as per GMAC

(D)when they have, for example, been given unrealistic scenarios in their homework, or were
- it's not Scenarios that were given but the Homework. Moreover WHEN can not be used to indicate METAPHORICAL time. INCORRECT

(E)for example, when they have homework that is unrepresentative of realistic scenarios, or been
- WHEN can not be used to indicate METAPHORICAL time. INCORRECT

2 KUDOS received
Cornell-Johnson Thread Master
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.66
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 33 [2] , given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: Verbal Challenge 2.2: SC Questions [#permalink] New post 28 May 2013, 04:17
This post received
KUDOS

in the both the above sentences elite runners are in a way compared to marathon times. So they do not match

(E)Withthe exception being elite runners, whose times are calculated from the starter's pistol to the finish line, : this part is too wordy

When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place.

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 327 [1] , given: 297

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Verbal Challenge 2.2: SC Questions [#permalink] New post 29 May 2013, 01:39
This post received
KUDOS
1)The finance department took into account a broader set of expenses than those used by the marketing department when each group determined a return-on-investment ratio.

(A)department took into account a broader set of expenses than those used by the marketing department when each group determined a
those does not match with set as set is a singular entity
(B)department took into account a broader set of expenses than those used by the marketing department when each group determines a
those does not match with set as set is a singular entity
(C)department took into account a broader set of expenses than the marketing department when each group determined a different
Incorrect comparision of set of account with marketing group
(D)department took into account a broader set of expenses than that used by the marketing department when each group determined a
Correct
(E)department, taking into account a broader set of expenses than that used by the marketing department, so each group determined a
Awkward sentence, taking into account is not right
[/quote]

ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview | General interview tips | How to tackle "Do you have anything to ask" question | Important links by the ISB ADCOM for applications and interview preparation

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: Verbal Challenge 2.2: SC Questions [#permalink] New post 29 May 2013, 01:50
This post received
KUDOS

elite runners are compared to marathon times, hence wrong
"Besides" usage is wrong here
Incorrect comparision
Correct
the dreaded being implies that the exception is elite runners

ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview | General interview tips | How to tackle "Do you have anything to ask" question | Important links by the ISB ADCOM for applications and interview preparation

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: Verbal Challenge 2.2: SC Questions [#permalink] New post 29 May 2013, 01:59
This post received
KUDOS

little short is wrong as shirts are countable
many other clothing is wrong as clothing is uncountable
Correct
little short is wrong as shirts are countable
clothings is wrong as clothing is an uncountable thing

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 297

Re: Verbal Challenge 2.2: SC Questions [#permalink] New post 29 May 2013, 02:04

(A)having, for example, been given homework that is unrepresentative of realistic scenarios or having been
it seems that education has been give homework
Correct
(C)as, for example, having too unrealistic a scenario in their homework, or being
as is not required/color]
[color=#ff0000]tense mismatch

tense mismatch

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: Verbal Challenge 2.2: SC Questions [#permalink] New post 29 May 2013, 02:51
This post received
KUDOS

(A)board, then taking turns performing
the "comma" is not required as their are only two items in the list
the "comma" is not required as their are only two items in the list
(C)board and then took turns performing
Correct
(D)board and then took turns, they performed
the comma before they is not required
(E)board and then took turns and performed
took turns and performed being in the same tense give the same importance to two things

Re: Verbal Challenge 2.2: SC Questions   [#permalink] 29 May 2013, 02:51