Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 17:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2 weeks left, how do I retain what I learned?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

2 weeks left, how do I retain what I learned? [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 13:53
Hello all,

I have 2 weeks left before the GMAT exam and I'd like to know how I should study. I started studying 6 weeks ago and now I have 2 weeks left till the exam, so I will have studied a total of 8 weeks when I take the exam.

Progress:

After 3 weeks of studying the MGMAT math books (skipping the advanced sections along with combinatorics and probability) I took the MGMAT CAT 1:
MGMAT CAT1: 570 (43Q, 25V)

After a 1 week break I took the GMAT Prep
GMAT PREP1: 480 (36Q, 20V)

After 2 weeks of studying CR and SC I took the MGMAT CAT2:
MGMAT CAT2: 550 (35Q, 31V)

Each time I took the exam I had like 10minute left for both Quant and Verbal. Do you guys think I'm rushing it too much?

I feel like the GMAT Prep was much harder than the MGMAT CAT in quant and especially in verbal.

Now I have 2 weeks left before the exam and I need a minimum of 55% in Quant (41-42) and 45% in Verbal (28). How should I go about studying for the exam? I want to focus solely on quant for the next 2 weeks, but I seem to have an issue with retaining what I learned.

What would be the best way retain my verbal score without putting too much time into it.

I've finished all the questions in the OG13 book and have been solving the SC1000 questions. However, I feel like the SC1000 questions are much easier compared to the MGMAT CAT and GMAT PREP questions so it hasn't really been helping much.

Here is a breakdown of my verbal from the latest MGMAT CAT score:

CR:
300-500 - 1 right, 0 wrong
500-600 - 7 right, 0 wrong
600-700 - 1 right, 4 wrong

SC:
300-500 - 2 right, 0 wrong
500-600 - 3 right, 3 wrong
600-700 - 2 right, 5 wrong

RC
300-500 - 0 right, 1 wrong
500-600 - 3 right, 3 wrong
600-700 - 2 right, 1 wrong
700-800 - 1 right, 1 wrong

Any help would be much appreciated. I'll be putting in 25 hours a week for the next 2 weeks.

Thanks
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2 weeks left, how do I retain what I learned? [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 14:28
I would say, trust the GMAT prep test scores. MGMAT questions are equally tough but the algorithm is little lenient (that’s what I feel).

1 See if you can postpone the exam.
2 If postponing is not an option,

Quants: Do not concentrate on the hard quants questions, such as Probability and Permutation/Combination. but concentrate on the types which can be easily improved. Such as geometry, number properties, word problems. Do not run after difficult questions. Strengthen your basics. Even during the exam. If you think that particular question is out of your league, just guess the answer choice and move on. Otherwise you might miss 4-5 simpler ones running after the hard one. GMAT hates those who cannot manage timing. If you leave 1 question unanswered, your score drops by 3 percentile. And that’s a huge loss. So work on your timing and stick to questions which you mostly get right.

Verbal: Since you have only two weeks left, do not try any new strategy on CR or RC. Go through MGMAT’s “Thursdays with Ron” videos on SC (they are free). Also go through MGMAT SC book again carefully. Always check for S-V agreement, pronoun error, modifier error and as-like in SC. You will be able to eliminate many answer choices by following few simple rules.

Long story short, ask yourself if the score you are getting in mock tests is good for the schools you wish to get into. If not, please postpone. If you have to give exam in two weeks, stick to what you have learnt and do your best. Do not change the game plan last minute.

All the best!
Re: 2 weeks left, how do I retain what I learned?   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2012, 14:28