Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Nov 2014, 21:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2 weeks - looking for 770

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT Date: 04-10-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 7

2 weeks - looking for 770 [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2012, 04:37
Hi All,

On my way to get 770 @ 10 April.
2 weeks away and now around 600- 650 mark. A month back was consistently at 550

Currently taking Manhattan GMAT exams, My quant score of 45 & 47 in last two exams have helped me break the 550 barrier and cross 600. Now at one end, i am improving in quant but at other end consistently getting an unpredictable score in verbal (ranging from 26 - 34)

I am two weeks away from 'THE DAY', any suggestions to drastically increase my verbal score? i believe i have to improve both in quant and verbal (keeping more focus) to get a score of 779.

Figured in AWA its more about getting the points then writing, stuck ard 350 words/essay. Is this enough or do i have to improve on length as well?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 37 [1] , given: 26

Re: 2 weeks _ looking for 779 [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2012, 11:51
This post received
KUDOS
1) You don't get a 779 on GMAT.
2) AWA : Size does matter, but you don't get a 6 for writing 700 incoherent words.
There is no prescribed length, but if you insist, 450-500 words is considered a good length essay.

The chase begins ...

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 550 Q47 V20
GPA: 3.74
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 68 [1] , given: 50

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: 2 weeks _ looking for 779 [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 19:52
This post received
KUDOS
sarat,
The test becomes very difficult at higher level. Focus on your week areas, carefully solve OG and learn from your mistakes and last but not least, read SC and CR books. Do not take any more test. Save your energy for the official one.

Be positive. Good luck.

Kudos is the best way to say Thank you.

GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 420 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 2 weeks _ looking for 779 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 10:11
The best AWA guide:
how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html

As for verbal, I'd say look into GMAT Fiction and buying materials to supplement your weaknesses:
best-gmat-books-77703.html

Two weeks isn't much time, but your math score is pretty close to the 80 percentile. Verbal is where you'll need a little more of a boost.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 492 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: 2 weeks _ looking for 779 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 10:39
Expert's post
saratchandra wrote:
I am two weeks away from 'THE DAY', any suggestions to drastically increase my verbal score? i believe i have to improve both in quant and verbal (keeping more focus) to get a score of 779.

This paragraph troubles me. A stated goal of 779 suggests a fundamental misunderstanding of the scoring system. And with such a high target score, this puts unnecessary pressure on you during the final two weeks and may cause you to try too much and burn out right before the exam. While it's certainly possible to see a good bit of improvement toward the end of one's studies, a "drastic" 100-plus point increase in two weeks is extraordinarily rare.

So my advice is to not go down that road. Instead, consider mohater's input and put more focus on verbal (without forgetting about math, of course). Go over the OG and reread as many explanations as possible, be active on the verbal forums (answer questions and defend your choices), and reread guidebooks. Also heed udvranto's warning and reserve the last two days of your prep for relaxation and rest.

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Re: 2 weeks _ looking for 779   [#permalink] 28 Mar 2012, 10:39