Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Apr 2014, 22:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2 weeks left for GMAT - Please help me improve my score?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

2 weeks left for GMAT - Please help me improve my score? [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2013, 11:33
I have my GMAT scheduled for 21st September and have taken the next two weeks off to concentrate on the exam (Unfortunately, a lot is riding on me getting a good score :( ). Though I am usually very much in control of things, this exam is now starting to make me panic. Could someone please help me out with any advise/strategy to get me a 720+ score? Background - Indian IT Engineer (so non-native speaker with slight advantage on quant) with > 5 years of work exp.

My mock test scores (taken 2 days apart in the last week) are given below -

GMAT Prep 1 - 680 (Q48, V35, IR 4)
MGMAT 1 - 650 (Q45, V34)
MGMAT 2 - 610 (Q44, V31, IR 5)
GMAT Paper Test - 740 (Q49,V44) - I don't think this test really matters, I solved 75% quant without using a notepad

Potential positives -

1. At around 10-12 hours a day, I still have some time left before I take my exam.
2. In timed - practice problems (OG and MGMAT), I am able to get > 80% accuracy in PS, CR and RC sections.
3. Haven't started the last 30-35% questions of each section in OG13. I was planning to study iteratively and though I should reserve tougher questions for the last week when I have all the basics ironed out. Hopefully this would increase my scoring.

Definite negatives -

1. Haven't been able to finish even a single section on any of my exams on time (worst case had me guessing upto 8-10 questions in the end).
2. Though, my SC accuracy is getting better, I am still lurking around 60% (way below what I want).
I am currently reading through the entire MGMAT SC book and working on related questions.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 894

Kudos [?]: 3787 [1] , given: 148

Re: 2 weeks left for GMAT - Please help me improve my score? [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 20:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
DexterMorgan123 wrote:
I have my GMAT scheduled for 21st September and have taken the next two weeks off to concentrate on the exam (Unfortunately, a lot is riding on me getting a good score :( ). Though I am usually very much in control of things, this exam is now starting to make me panic. Could someone please help me out with any advise/strategy to get me a 720+ score? Background - Indian IT Engineer (so non-native speaker with slight advantage on quant) with > 5 years of work exp.

My mock test scores (taken 2 days apart in the last week) are given below -

GMAT Prep 1 - 680 (Q48, V35, IR 4)
MGMAT 1 - 650 (Q45, V34)
MGMAT 2 - 610 (Q44, V31, IR 5)
GMAT Paper Test - 740 (Q49,V44) - I don't think this test really matters, I solved 75% quant without using a notepad

Potential positives -

1. At around 10-12 hours a day, I still have some time left before I take my exam.
2. In timed - practice problems (OG and MGMAT), I am able to get > 80% accuracy in PS, CR and RC sections.
3. Haven't started the last 30-35% questions of each section in OG13. I was planning to study iteratively and though I should reserve tougher questions for the last week when I have all the basics ironed out. Hopefully this would increase my scoring.

Definite negatives -

1. Haven't been able to finish even a single section on any of my exams on time (worst case had me guessing upto 8-10 questions in the end).
2. Though, my SC accuracy is getting better, I am still lurking around 60% (way below what I want).
I am currently reading through the entire MGMAT SC book and working on related questions.

- With > 80% accuracy in PS, I don't see why you shouldn't get > 80% accuracy in DS too. Both are based on the same concepts. You just have to be a little more careful in DS. Ensure that you are not falling for any of the basic traps.

- Keeping the toughest questions for the end? It's procrastination, not a strategy. You need to do them right now. If you find that you are quite confused about some concepts after trying out some hard problems, you need to have enough time to run through the concepts thoroughly. In the last week, all you want to do is review your notes, revise the tricky things, take one mock test to stay in the zone and get sufficient shut eye. You don't want to do some tough questions at the end and get your morale down.

- Figure out why you run out of time. Are you putting in too much time in a few questions? If yes, then that's a time management issue. You need to know when to move on. It's an intellectual game and you will need to strategically quit sometimes. If you are taking an extra minute in almost every question, then your approach is time consuming. You might want to review faster, more logical approaches.

- SC is also logic based nowadays. Do not try to just learn up the rules. The current crop of GMAT SC questions will not reward you for doing that. Focus on the intent and meaning - the structure should be logical, not just grammatically correct. Check out this post: http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/08 ... bal-score/

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: 2 weeks left for GMAT - Please help me improve my score? [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 21:20
Thank you Karishma, for taking time out and replying to this post.

- With > 80% accuracy in PS, I don't see why you shouldn't get > 80% accuracy in DS too. Both are based on the same concepts. You just have to be a little more careful in DS. Ensure that you are not falling for any of the basic traps.
The DS accuracy has increased since I last posted. I now follow the AD- BCE technique, which has certainly helped with reducing silly mistakes.

- Keeping the toughest questions for the end? It's procrastination, not a strategy. You need to do them right now. If you find that you are quite confused about some concepts after trying out some hard problems, you need to have enough time to run through the concepts thoroughly. In the last week, all you want to do is review your notes, revise the tricky things, take one mock test to stay in the zone and get sufficient shut eye. You don't want to do some tough questions at the end and get your morale down.
You raised a valid point about not leaving the 700+ questions for the end and I plan to start with PS, DS, RC and CR questions tomorrow.

- Figure out why you run out of time. Are you putting in too much time in a few questions? If yes, then that's a time management issue. You need to know when to move on. It's an intellectual game and you will need to strategically quit sometimes. If you are taking an extra minute in almost every question, then your approach is time consuming. You might want to review faster, more logical approaches.
From what I have read about the scoring mechanism, I would need a streak of correct answers (belonging to a higher difficulty level) to fetch a good score. So when I don't get a streak of correct answers at the beginning of the test (I judge this if one of the questions suddenly seems very easy), I try to compensate by getting a similar streak somewhere in the middle of the test. This seems to be impacting my timing, I should probably have more faith in my ability :? Please correct me if I am wrong about the scoring mechanism.

- SC is also logic based nowadays. Do not try to just learn up the rules. The current crop of GMAT SC questions will not reward you for doing that. Focus on the intent and meaning - the structure should be logical, not just grammatically correct.
SC is still a concern and my fear is running into a series of 600-700 or 700-800 level SC questions on the GMAT test which could drastically impact my score. After reading through MGMAT SC guide, I plan to do atleast 2 rounds of OG13 SC section. I hope that makes me get a better hang of the material.

I have 10 more days to go and have a lot to work on, looking forward to the challenge :)
Re: 2 weeks left for GMAT - Please help me improve my score?   [#permalink] 09 Sep 2013, 21:20