Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 05:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2 Weeks To Study For GMAT?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

2 Weeks To Study For GMAT? [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2009, 11:06
Hi Everyone,

First time I took the GMAT was over 2 years ago and my score was 540 (43Q, 21V). I studied for about 2 months while working a full-time job. I was obviously dissapointed with my score, but it was a good learning experience. I thought that if I focused for another month on my weakness which is the Verbal, I could get a higher score. Well, things came up and I never scheduled a re-take. Anyways, I'm applying for a Part-Time MBA program and my 540 is on the low end. It was suggested to me that I need to retake the exam and try to get a better score. 1 week has gone by and I have gone through all the Verbal in the OG 11. I plan to dedicate this week to Quantitative and take the exam a week from today. My gut feeling right now is that I may not even score higher than 540 due to the lack of time, although the materials seems a little bit easier the 2nd time around. Any suggestions or advice?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2158

Kudos [?]: 7576 [0], given: 3623

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 2 Weeks To Study For GMAT? [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2009, 17:26
Expert's post
tinman1412 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

First time I took the GMAT was over 2 years ago and my score was 540 (43Q, 21V). I studied for about 2 months while working a full-time job. I was obviously dissapointed with my score, but it was a good learning experience. I thought that if I focused for another month on my weakness which is the Verbal, I could get a higher score. Well, things came up and I never scheduled a re-take. Anyways, I'm applying for a Part-Time MBA program and my 540 is on the low end. It was suggested to me that I need to retake the exam and try to get a better score. 1 week has gone by and I have gone through all the Verbal in the OG 11. I plan to dedicate this week to Quantitative and take the exam a week from today. My gut feeling right now is that I may not even score higher than 540 due to the lack of time, although the materials seems a little bit easier the 2nd time around. Any suggestions or advice?

Welcome back tinman!

You don't have much time, so one suggestion is to take full-length practice tests. See this thread for details: all-gmat-cat-practice-tests-links-prices-reviews-77460.html

Another would be to get a book that would cover one of your main weaknesses - such as Manhattan Number Properties or MGMAT CR or others.

Also - see this post: 4-days-til-test-what-to-do-79776.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2 Weeks To Study For GMAT? [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2009, 20:19
Since you plan on taking the test in a week, is it fair to assume you can change your plans? I would take more than a week if you actually want to see an improvement. Your 540 was from 2 years ago so it may not even be relevant anymore. Most R1 deadlines aren't until October, so if you have the time, I would say to study longer (at least a month). But if you are intent on taking it in a week, heed bb's advice and best of luck.
Re: 2 Weeks To Study For GMAT?   [#permalink] 06 Jul 2009, 20:19