Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 09 Jul 2014, 16:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

20-30 Points Worth Retaking?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
20-30 Points Worth Retaking? [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2012, 20:36
Hello,

I just took my second GMAT today and received the exact same score as my first exam in both the quantitative and verbal sections. I studied inconsistently throughout 30 days, but am still pretty disappointed that my score did not go up! During the test ALL my questions were geometry or number properties. The quant section seemed considerably harder, while I breezed through the verbal with 15 minutes to spare (with time to double check all my answers).

I ended up getting another 680 (Q43 65% V40 89%). In my practice exams I have gone from 510 -> 750 on MGMAT and the Prep tests. Honestly I believe that I can get another 20-30 points, but I will have to dedicate time to learning the new GMAT as well.

At this point, I really have two options:
a) Apply to my dream schools (top 10) and slam the rest of the application out of the park or
b) Take 1-2 months to learn the new GMAT format in hopes of gaining 20-30 points

What is everyone's advice?

Thanks for any input!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 302 [0], given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: 20-30 Points Worth Retaking? [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2012, 02:16
hnguyen1987 wrote:
Hello,

I just took my second GMAT today and received the exact same score as my first exam in both the quantitative and verbal sections. I studied inconsistently throughout 30 days, but am still pretty disappointed that my score did not go up! During the test ALL my questions were geometry or number properties. The quant section seemed considerably harder, while I breezed through the verbal with 15 minutes to spare (with time to double check all my answers).

I ended up getting another 680 (Q43 65% V40 89%). In my practice exams I have gone from 510 -> 750 on MGMAT and the Prep tests. Honestly I believe that I can get another 20-30 points, but I will have to dedicate time to learning the new GMAT as well.

At this point, I really have two options:
a) Apply to my dream schools (top 10) and slam the rest of the application out of the park or
b) Take 1-2 months to learn the new GMAT format in hopes of gaining 20-30 points

What is everyone's advice?

Thanks for any input!

2-3 months for 20-30 points is a bit less IMO. If you can improve by 50+ points than retaking would be worth it.Its possible to improve by 50 points in 2-3 months.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: 20-30 Points Worth Retaking? [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2012, 20:29
I have two major concerns:

1. What if I totally flub the new integrated reasoning?
2. Is my time better spent doing applications?

Then again, I am in no rush to apply to business school...

Is my current score going to automatically get me eliminated from the top 10 schools?
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 302 [0], given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: 20-30 Points Worth Retaking? [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2012, 08:37
hnguyen1987 wrote:
I have two major concerns:

1. What if I totally flub the new integrated reasoning?
2. Is my time better spent doing applications?

Then again, I am in no rush to apply to business school...

Is my current score going to automatically get me eliminated from the top 10 schools?

No it won't. You need to have something more substantial in your profile to make up for it.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: 20-30 Points Worth Retaking? [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2012, 08:43
Thanks for the help. If that's the case, I think I will apply to some choice of schools first. If I don't get in, then I'll retake. Oh cruel world...
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: 20-30 Points Worth Retaking? [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2012, 12:44
I am in the same boat but will 30 points really get you to top schools. I saw a profile with 750, 3.7 GPA rejected from UT Austin - this is good school but no Harvard or Stanford. So 700 is not the key. The entire point is how you separate yourself from the herd.

Thanks
Sumeet
www.midasreturns.wordpress.com

Intern
Intern

Re: 20-30 Points Worth Retaking? [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2012, 20:02
I had the same thoughts about the GMAT; I have co-workers who got into Kellogg with 660, while others who have failed with 770. It's truly a mystifying acceptance process...

I still have 1 - 1.5 years until I plan to apply to business school. Since my family obligations have subsided, I will probably pursue some extra-curriculars of interest.

Is there anything else that can be recommended?
Intern
Intern

Re: 20-30 Points Worth Retaking? [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2012, 20:08
I've decided to take the GMAT a third time, with a few major changes. Can someone tell me if I'm sounding crazy? Are 3 attempts viewed unfavorably? At this point, I realize that I have the 680, but I want to get 700+, preferably 720, for myself.

Instead of 30 days, I am planning to relax for June and then go all out July and August, and then take the third attempt in September

* Plan to take the test on a Monday, rather than Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, since work screwed up my second attempt
* Spend 1 month to refresh all the MGMAT Math + Verbal, and then 1 month to focus only on hard math problems

My Verbal is consistently 90%+, so I just need to raise my Quant from 64% to 76%+.

Anyone have any feedback or advice?
Re: 20-30 Points Worth Retaking?   [#permalink] 18 Jun 2012, 20:08