Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 01:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

20 more days for my GMAT exam!! Help Needed!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

20 more days for my GMAT exam!! Help Needed!! [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2012, 18:54
Hey Guys,

I've been preparing for the GMAT since the past 5 - 6 months and have started giving the mock tests. I am really disappointed with my scores on the mock tests ranging around 550. I have given Kaplan, MGMAT, GMAT prep. Most of the scores were revolving around that number. In fact I scored a meager 490 on GMAT prep. My target score is above 730. I have started identifying my weak areas. They are Verbal, especially CR and RC. In Quant I am struggling with DS. I haven't started my prepartion on IR and AWA. Can you guys provide me some advise to improve my scores and provide me some good tips on how to plan for the next 20 days to achieve my target score. Do you guys advise the GMAT Question Pack 1, which the GMAC has released. My idea is to start practicing GMAT like questions before 20 days. I would like to emphasize again that I am thoroughly disppointed with my scores on mock tests and need some serious advise. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.92
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: 20 more days for my GMAT exam!! Help Needed!! [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2012, 22:28
krackgmat wrote:
Hey Guys,

I've been preparing for the GMAT since the past 5 - 6 months and have started giving the mock tests. I am really disappointed with my scores on the mock tests ranging around 550. I have given Kaplan, MGMAT, GMAT prep. Most of the scores were revolving around that number. In fact I scored a meager 490 on GMAT prep. My target score is above 730. I have started identifying my weak areas. They are Verbal, especially CR and RC. In Quant I am struggling with DS. I haven't started my prepartion on IR and AWA. Can you guys provide me some advise to improve my scores and provide me some good tips on how to plan for the next 20 days to achieve my target score. Do you guys advise the GMAT Question Pack 1, which the GMAC has released. My idea is to start practicing GMAT like questions before 20 days. I would like to emphasize again that I am thoroughly disppointed with my scores on mock tests and need some serious advise. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi
There is no need to lose hope. You just need to identify the problem area and work upon it.
So when you say you get a low score, there are two reasons for it:
1. You get more questions wrong - in this is the case, its time to go back to the basics. Short-list the areas where you are weak and get thorough with the concepts.
2. You have time crunch which leaves some questions un-attempted - here, take more and more full time practice tests

For more, you can visit my blog

Regards
BUZZZ
www.gmatexecmba.blogspot.com

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: 20 more days for my GMAT exam!! Help Needed!! [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 10:06
Appreciate your advise..By your words I got some inspiration not to give up my preparation, given the time constraint I have.

I have a couple more question. It would be great if you can answer them.

1. Will the test center provide me with ear buds (for noise reduction) on the exam day?

2. Is it a good idea to practice from GMAT Question pack1 , given the time constraint.

Thanks

Last edited by krackgmat on 10 Dec 2012, 06:47, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.92
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: 20 more days for my GMAT exam!! Help Needed!! [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 19:49
krackgmat wrote:
Appreciate your advise..By your words I got some inspiration not to give up my preparation, given the time constraint I have.

I have a couple more question. It would be great if you can answer them.

1. Will the test center provide me with ear buds (for noise reduction) on the exam day?

2. I have plenty to tests (atleast 12- 15) with me and eventually need to review the answers along with the preparation on my areas of weaknesses.
Do you think GMAT Question pack1 will be useful at this point of time, given the time constraint.

Apparently, I am aiming for executive programs in IIMs and ISB. I have gone through your blog and seen that you admitted into IIMC. A Big congratulations!

Thanks

Thanks buddy...
1. Yes, I used them too
2. Yes, practice is the key when time is scarce. But go back to the concepts for questions where you find yourself weak, say inequalities in Quant or Subject-Verb agreement in Verbal

Regards
BUZZZ
www.gmatexecmba.blogspot.com

Re: 20 more days for my GMAT exam!! Help Needed!!   [#permalink] 09 Dec 2012, 19:49