Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:05 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618845 [47]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16832 [18]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [10]
Given Kudos: 246
Send PM
General Discussion
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618845 [4]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Re: 200 people responded to a survey that asked them to rank three differe [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

200 people responded to a survey that asked them to rank three different brands of soap. The percentage of respondents that ranked each brand 1st, 2nd, and 3rd are listed above. If no respondents rated the soaps in the order Y, Z, X, how many respondents rated the soap in the following order: X, Y, Z?

A. 100
B. 60
C. 50
D. 30
E. 25

Kudos for a correct solution.

Attachment:
Brand_Rankings.png

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

In a way this problem is a permutations problem in disguise. When you're given the caveat that no one responded in the order Y, Z, X, you can tell a few things:

Anyone who put Y first did so in the order Y, X, Z (because there are only two ways to arrange X and Z if Y is in the first spot, and one of those was expressly prohibited by the prompt).

And, similarly, anytime that Z was second the order was X, Z, Y (because Y and Z couldn't have been arranged in the other order with Z fixed in the middle); and anytime X was last the order had to be Z, Y, X (because the other "X third" option is prohibited).

So if you follow that logic, your next step is to pick one of those certainties (for example, for all 60 cases of Y first - Y was first in 30% of the 200 cases - the order was Y, X, Z) and incorporate the statistics. That means that of the 110 cases of Z going last, 60 of them were in the order Y, X, Z. Which then means that, since the only other way to fix Z at the last spot is to go in the asked-about order X, Y, Z, the other 50 cases of Z third have to have come from the X, Y, Z order. Therefore, the answer is 50.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
Send PM
Re: 200 people responded to a survey that asked them to rank three differe [#permalink]
Kudos
I felt dumb, I couldn t get how you infer "people who ranked Y number 1 = 30% of 200 = 60." from the graphs? maybe cause it's late here
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 451 [4]
Given Kudos: 883
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 670 Q45 V37
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
Kudos
faltan wrote:
I felt dumb, I couldn t get how you infer "people who ranked Y number 1 = 30% of 200 = 60." from the graphs? maybe cause it's late here

Question states:
200 people responded to a survey that asked them to rank three different brands of soap. The percentage of respondents that ranked each brand 1st, 2nd, and 3rd are listed above.
If no respondents rated the soaps in the order Y, Z, X, how many respondents rated the soap in the following order: X, Y, Z?

Given:
The first graph tells up how many people rated each brand of soap number 1:
40% rated X number 1. 30% rated Y number 1 and 30% rated Z number 1.

The second graph tells up how many people rated each brand of soap number 2:
45% rated X number 2. 40% rated Y number 2 and 15% rated Z number 2.

The third graph tells up how many people rated each brand of soap number 1:
15% rated X number 3. 30% rated Y number 3 and 55% rated Z number 3.

YZX = 0. ---- eq (1)

Calculations
15% = 30 people rated Z number 2. Possible combinations with Z in middle is XZY or YZX. So, 30 people voted for XZY because no respondents rated the soaps in the order Y, Z, X.
Basically,
XZY + YZX = 30 ,
From eq(1) we get XZY + 0 = 30 ,
XZY = 30 --- eq (2)

40% = 80 people rated X number 1. These people voted for XYZ or XZY .
Basically,
XYZ + XZY = 80.
From eq (2), we get XZY = 30 .
XYZ + 30 = 80.
So, XYZ = 50.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Schools: ISB '20
Send PM
Mike03 wrote:
A very good question. Here is my approach:

Order of choices people can make -

X Y Z
X Z Y
Y X Z
Y Z X = 0 people made this choice
Z X Y
Z Y X

People who ranked X number 1 = 40% of 200 = 80. This implies that the sum of X Y Z & X Z Y is equal to 80.

People who ranked Y number 1 = 30% of 200 = 60. This implies that the sum of Y X Z & Y Z X is equal to 60. Since Y Z X is 0, this implies that the number of people who picked the order Y X Z is 60.

People who ranked Z number 3 = 55% of 200 = 110. This implies that the sum of Y X Z & X Y Z is equal to 110. Since Y X Z is 60, this implies that X Y Z =50. Therefore, the correct answer is C.

Hi Mike03, How is 'People who ranked Z number 3 = 55% of 200 = 110'?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64905 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM