Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 01:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2008 Applicant Information - Put your Profile Here!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 1556 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2007, 13:14
CerealsMBA wrote:
Ok, although this is not the right topic at all, let me correct a few misperceptions here, as my personal values / credibility are challenged by what you believe to be true :

Woah, I never meant you to take it that way. I hold you in high regard! (In other words, im impressed by your Grande Ecole education).. I think you might have taken my comments about some of the debate around the schools as my personal views on the subject... they weren't. Personally, I'd cut off my right arm to go to a Grande Ecole, and I think the idea is superb.

Quote:
1- There are over 200 Grandes Ecoles in France. I did not go to X, but to one of the Centrales. The same way as people get into Polythechnique, ENA, HEC, etc which are ALL Grandes Ecoles, I just studied hard, took a competitive exam with neither my name nor my picture on the papers, and got in based on my ranking... It is not connected, believe it or not, and the only connection you get out of X or ENA is the alumni network (which, logically, you can only belong to once you got in, etc, etc...)

You studied very hard, no doubt. A Grande Ecole makes Harvard's odds look like the University of Pheonix Online.

Quote:
2- Funding of Grandes Ecoles: that is a subject of debate. Indeed, they are better funded than the universities, and it is quite unfair. I agree with you that universities are not valued enough in France. But they need, in addition to money, deep reforms to make them more in phase with what the professional world is expecting (France accounts for more psychology students that all of Europe - source : The Economist).

Good point.

Quote:
3- Grands Corps and Grandes Ecoles are two different things. Grande Ecole is a label (same as EQUIS, AACSB), while Grand Corps are civil servants, who are often succesful Polytechnique Students who got into the prestigious Ecole des Mines, etc... or ENA alumni, etc...

Well thats what I meant... That certain Grandes Ecoles provide access to the "Grande Corps" - a powerful powerful network of individuals, not that they are one and the same.

Quote:
4- Maybe the French system is very elitist. True. But so are all systems : aren's b-schools elitist ? What about Law school, med school in the US ?

Again I think you took the term elitist to somehow have a negative connotation... I don't actually think elitist is bad.

Quote:
5- As for the Cereal box. Do you really think I would try to convince the school to take me because I love strawberry Special K's :lol: ??? Anyway, I suppose you just say that to be nice and help, so thanks a lot.

No of course not, but you might very well crack a joke or mention someone about cereal in passing at some reception just as an ice breaker. I didnt mean to suggest you'd walk up to some adcom and just say something like "Hi! I like Frosted Flakes!" .... I had more of an off the cuff kind of remark in mind... I didn't mean to suggest you'd say something so silly to the adcom directly.

Quote:
[b]Edit : From wikipedia (so it can be challenged...) In 1979, in honor of a $10 million gift made to the school on behalf of John L. Kellogg, the former president of the Kellogg Company, the school was renamed as the J.L. Kellogg Graduate School of Management.

Here are Kelloggs words:

http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/new ... 0521sz.htm

" Founded already back in 1908 Kellogg did not receive its own name until 1979, when the John L. and Helen Kellogg-Fund donated ten million US dollars to the school. Since then, the identity of names with the US food company Kellogg has led repeatedly to confusion. "We have had to work the last 15 years to set ourselves off against the cereal producer""

That said, I was probably too strong in my words.... Wikipedia is right that there is a connection, but its removed.

The Helen and John foundation that made the donation was a philanthropic private fund. It wasn't directly related in any way to the firm itself, but it is true that John's father (his name i forget) founded the firm. I cnat remember for sure but i think that the gift itself was even done after helen and john died by whoever was managing the foundation.

What I was trying to say is that the name is not related in any way to the company itself - other than the fortune they had amassed came in part from the Kellogg company. The donation was entirely private, completed (I think) after John and Helens deaths and completed by the trustees of the foundation.

Whats funny about that is that its the John and Helen foundation.... yet they named hte school the J.L. Kellogg ..... Poor Helen got shafted...

In any case, if I offended, I didnt mean to. I'm impressed by your background and expect to see you listing some nice admits here six months from now.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2007, 14:10
Geez, I'd better be careful with that cereal thing... It reminds me of the story (probably urban legend, but still) of the candidate responding to a L'Oreal recruiter asking him why does he want to work for L'Oreal : "Because I'm worth it"...

Seriously, thanks for the Kellogg story, wikipedia's article is kind of misleading...

I may have been a little bit too sensitive about the Grande Ecole thing, but that'sprobably because everyone (especially here in France) seems to hold some grudge against it... So sorry about that... I think you are a great contributor to this forum and add a lot of value to the debate, and I appreciate your judgement.

Thanks for the wishes... I am looking forward to be part of this great community !
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2007, 14:34
CerealsMBA wrote:
Geez, I'd better be careful with that cereal thing... It reminds me of the story (probably urban legend, but still) of the candidate responding to a L'Oreal recruiter asking him why does he want to work for L'Oreal : "Because I'm worth it"...

Seriously, thanks for the Kellogg story, wikipedia's article is kind of misleading...

I may have been a little bit too sensitive about the Grande Ecole thing, but that'sprobably because everyone (especially here in France) seems to hold some grudge against it... So sorry about that... I think you are a great contributor to this forum and add a lot of value to the debate, and I appreciate your judgement.

Thanks for the wishes... I am looking forward to be part of this great community !

Nice debate :)....

I'm from one of them too perhaps less prestigious, I confess ;)... Yet, I still believe it to be too Franco French system once again finally not opened to the rest of the world in both ways (coming from France and willing to work out of it or coming from another country and willing to work in France).... the rest of the world that is finally... the world ;) :)

That could end soon I hope with an harmonized education system through europe.... I will be very happy to see such an achievement :)... But I fear that too many obstacles will be set... wait & see :)
CEO
CEO
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 438 [0], given: 210

[#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2007, 15:16
Oh Finally someone from here !!!

Although your words dont make me feel any better. I was at the Martin Place office. What are you currently up to ? I would be interested in your experience in dealing with the American schools (if indeed you are there) from an Australian POV.

cheers.

Ozmba2006 wrote:
bsd_lover wrote:
Well Now that I have taken the GMAT I might as well join in here.
Profile :
27 (Turning 28 soon) Male IT Australian/Kiwi/Indian --> I guess that demographic might be a bit of an issue. Although I see almost NO representation here from the whole of Australia / New Zealand region.

Dont worry, At Last year Wharton Info session out of 50 who turned up 80% are of Indian , who happen to have either Aus/Kiwi Passport!

So you got plenty of competition my friend!!!!!

Watch out HBS/Wharton --they start their info sessions first in Sydney ..followed by the ROW!!!

Macquarie bank --The one close to Martin Square or Bond Street???

Cheers
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2007, 16:07
rhyme wrote:
A Grande Ecole makes Harvard's odds look like the University of Pheonix Online.

Hey! Not funny!
:lol:
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2007, 19:31
mNeo wrote:
I hear you :(

When I posted my profile, someone responded with, "Welcome to the app-season from HELL". I wasn't sure what he meant at that time .. but I am getting an idea now.

I also have a plan similar to yours - applying to 5 schools from the M7 - 3 R1s, 2 R2s. Everybody says that I may not have that great a chance in H/S (Not that that's stopping me from trying anyway) .. so that means that I am actually applying to only 3 realistic schools.

Ah...that would be me. What I meant was "This year's app season is going to be competitive as Hell". I think ncprasad raised a very good point. You guys will defintely start seeing more accomplished applications from us Indian - IT guys. This year'll be pretty *^*#(&* competitive. Next year, the sky is the limit!
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2007, 19:35
Quote:
Oh Finally someone from here !!!

Although your words dont make me feel any better. I was at the Martin Place office. What are you currently up to ? I would be interested in your experience in dealing with the American schools (if indeed you are there) from an Australian POV.

cheers.

Sent you a PM!!...

Enjoy the Sunny Sydney....North East Weather Sucks!
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2007, 20:01
TOEFL scores just in: 118/120. God! ETS is really inefficient when compared to Pearson VUE. I had my official GMAT scores with me a week after the test, but I had to wait an entire month to just know my TOEFL scores were....
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 695 [0], given: 5

[#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2007, 02:46
kripalkavi wrote:
mNeo wrote:

When I posted my profile, someone responded with, "Welcome to the app-season from HELL". I wasn't sure what he meant at that time .. but I am getting an idea now.

I also have a plan similar to yours - applying to 5 schools from the M7 - 3 R1s, 2 R2s. Everybody says that I may not have that great a chance in H/S (Not that that's stopping me from trying anyway) .. so that means that I am actually applying to only 3 realistic schools.

Ah...that would be me. What I meant was "This year's app season is going to be competitive as Hell". I think ncprasad raised a very good point. You guys will defintely start seeing more accomplished applications from us Indian - IT guys. This year'll be pretty *^*#(&* competitive. Next year, the sky is the limit!

I guess being a plain old white american male finally isn't the toughest group to be applying to something from. It seems as if some of the Indian candidates have been grooming themselves for MBAs since they were born. Thank god schools like broad cross sections or they would all be at least 50% Indian. I also found it odd that schools always list it as "under represented minorities" but that was before I realized some groups ie Indians and Asians definitely were not under represented.

Good luck guys, I am sure that you will get in at some great schools despite the tough competition. Your profiles are way too strong to get dings across the board. Just put a lot into your essays, that might be the one thing that can truly set you apart from a bunch of other people with stellar numbers.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2007, 03:27
lepium wrote:
rhyme wrote:
A Grande Ecole makes Harvard's odds look like the University of Pheonix Online.

Hey! Not funny!
:lol:

If Harvard is to the University of Pheonix Online,
then the GSB is to Mrs. Johnson's 3rd grade Physical Education Class.

So don't feel bad :)
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2007, 09:42
riverripper wrote:
kripalkavi wrote:
mNeo wrote:

I guess being a plain old white american male finally isn't the toughest group to be applying to something from. It seems as if some of the Indian candidates have been grooming themselves for MBAs since they were born. Thank god schools like broad cross sections or they would all be at least 50% Indian. I also found it odd that schools always list it as "under represented minorities" but that was before I realized some groups ie Indians and Asians definitely were not under represented.

Good luck guys, I am sure that you will get in at some great schools despite the tough competition. Your profiles are way too strong to get dings across the board. Just put a lot into your essays, that might be the one thing that can truly set you apart from a bunch of other people with stellar numbers.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! :) Pardon my ignorance, but are you a 2008-er too?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 695 [0], given: 5

[#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2007, 16:46
kripalkavi wrote:
Thanks for the vote of confidence! :) Pardon my ignorance, but are you a 2008-er too?

Yup, applying this fall...and dreading the process. I guess if it was easy everyone would do it though.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

at Rhymes's time [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2007, 08:29
Rhyme you talked about making a pdf for the whole application process how is it coming.I am planning for '08 admission and I also want to know about financial aid for international students in canada.

One Love.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member
Re: at Rhymes's time [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2007, 15:29
snow wolf wrote:
Rhyme you talked about making a pdf for the whole application process how is it coming.I am planning for '08 admission and I also want to know about financial aid for international students in canada.

One Love.

One love?

Is it getting better?
Or do you feel the same?
Will it make it easier on you now?
You got someone to blame
You say

Anyway... I've put in some time into it, but honestly I've been so busy lately with other things I just havent had the time to really dig into it. That said, no matter what I write - I can guarantee you that I wont have any information on financial aid in it. Mostly cause I don't know anything about it but also because it seems like there is a whole world of options out there for it.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2007, 01:25
Well I guess this is as good a time as any to announce my candidacy

Indian
Male
Engineer from DCE
NOT an IT professional.......(I'm unique ;)
25 Years
4 Years Work Ex (at time of joining) .......with 2.5 of solid management
GMAT 770 (51-Q, 44-V)........after browsing this site, it dosent seem high any more
ECA - Nice......very nice
Community activity - actually stole candy from a blind baby once.......ok ok.......didnt do that, but havent really done anything that can be categorized as comm service.

Target Schools

HBS
Stan
U-Chic
Wharton
Ross
MIT
Tuck
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2007, 01:31
So anyone started work on essays?
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2007, 19:24
saurabh357 wrote:
So anyone started work on essays?

Nope, just finished the school selection process.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2007, 01:37
how do you go about short listing the schools?? As in they are all elite/trans-elite........on what basis does one apply to say Darden and not to Tuck........please help moi out
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2007, 19:34
sangoman wrote:
how do you go about short listing the schools?? As in they are all elite/trans-elite........on what basis does one apply to say Darden and not to Tuck........please help moi out

Well, for this question there is no single magic formula that works. I guess its a combination of researching the school website, talking to students/alumni and other applicants and just basically reading everything you can find on the schools you are looking at. Since I am an international applicant visiting the schools (very good if you can do it) themselves will not be possible.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 336 [0], given: 14

[#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2007, 22:50
Wow you all started way earlier than I did! I didn't even decide to go to B-school until May. Anyway, here's my profile, and I look forward to working with all y'all in the next few months!

EDIT: Updated 10/3/07

Profile:
- Chinese American
- Male
- Engineering Degrees from top schools
- Formerly engineer, now business development
- 30 Years
- 6 years work Ex, same company. First 5 years engineering/software, past year business development.
- GPA: 3.88 undergrad, 3.57 grad (top US engineering schools)
- GMAT: Taking it early August. I must say, y'all are such overachievers ;). I was aiming for a 730 or 740 and would be happy with that, but after seeing all the 770's and 780's, maybe I need to aim higher?

EDIT: GMAT 760 (Q51, V41), AWA 6

- Leadership: A lot of stuff, including advisor/mentor for a student honor society, leading my company's intern program, captaining 2 company tennis teams, and multiple mentoring/teaching community service sprinkled here and there
- Goal: Entrepreneurship (in Hi-Tech), Global Management, maybe VC

Target Schools:
- Stanford GSB (R1)
- Berkeley Haas (R1)
- UCLA Anderson (R1)
- Kellogg (R2)
- Chicago GSB (maybe)

Last edited by kryzak on 03 Oct 2007, 23:42, edited 2 times in total.
  [#permalink] 04 Jul 2007, 22:50