Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
Wow you all started way earlier than I did! I didn't even decide to go to B-school until May. Anyway, here's my profile, and I look forward to working with all y'all in the next few months!

Profile:
- Chinese American
- Male
- Engineering Degree from Berkeley, Stanford (Masters)
- Formerly engineer, now business development
- 30 Years
- 6 years work Ex, same company. First 5 years engineering/software, past year business development.
- GPA: 3.9
- GMAT: Taking it early August. I must say, y'all are such overachievers ;). I was aiming for a 730 or 740 and would be happy with that, but after seeing all the 770's and 780's, maybe I need to aim higher?
- Leadership: A lot of stuff, including advisor for a student honor society, leading my company's intern program, captaining 2 tennis teams, and some random community service sprinkled here and there (teaching kids, etc...)
- Goal: Entrepreneurship or Global Management

Target Schools:
- Stanford
- Berkeley Haas
- Maybe Columbia or Stern or UCLA, one of the three.
(Yeah, my choices are very limited to where I would want to live and how much time I want to spend in applications)

That is a heck of a profile. geezus
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks. Hopefully I can put together a coherent and strong story to get into the schools I want to get into. From another post (What are my chances?) it seems like there are lots of people like me, so I gotta differentiate! :?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ok This is my first post, and I am prepping for the 08 application. Will give my GMAT soon, and I am seriously shaking in my legs - there are too many 700+ scores. I will be elated and probably pee in my pants if I get near that number. This is my profile

28 yr old, male Indian (raised in Japan).. my demography is an issue.
undergrad from BITS Pilani, India, in Civil Engineering.
GPA...not worth mentioning :oops:
Masters in Civil Engineering with minor in Statistics from Penn State.
GPA 3.7
Started with PhD in Operations Research at USC, hated it, quit the program and ended with a Masters in Engineering Management with emphasis in Operations Research and Supply Chain instead.
GPA 3.6

Working for more than year in a Big 4 accounting firm, specifically in outsourcing, internal audit and risk management. Nothing related to the years I spent in school.

Huger motorcycling buff. Active participant in a community program that emphasizes on motorcycle safety. I conduct weekend programs that teach how to ride a motorcycle, safety lessons, etc.

work part time in an animal farm to save wild animals that have been injured or uncared for by previous owners.
Work as a tutor and teach inner city children math and science. This was a definite help for me in prepping for my GMAT quant section.
On the verge of completing my culinary arts degree, so that I can qualify as a chef in a restaurant if I get bored with the corporate world. I do work on the weekends at a local restaurant in Los Angeles.

I am targetting for
UCLA,
GSB,
Columbia,
Cornell,
Berkeley,
Virginia - Darden

I will give a shot at Wharton, although I am sure it will be hard to break the ice.

I want to switch careers so I guess this is the time I jump in.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
welcome aviroop!

wow, I got competition here (also applying to Berkeley and UCLA)! =)

But from what I've read so far, I probably would focus on the motorcycle, animal farm, and/or cooking in essays about yourself. It seems like the adcom wants to 'read a story' about you, since the rest of the apps and recommendations will talk about your leadership and work experience at work.

Good luck and hope we both make it!
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey kryzak,
I too noticed that your college choices are quite similar to mine!! According to a GMAT "Analysis of an issue" - competition breeds success.

I hope you definitely get in the college of your choice. BTW, did you happen to go for any of the information sessions at any of the schools. I went to the one in UCLA - it was really nice and eye-opening.

As for the essay thing - I guess I will focus on the "non work" side of my life. The essay is a mega challenge for which I will be scouring information through this forum for ages.

Have fun with the application process
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
hey aviroop!

haha, yes, I believe that competition *with* cooperation (thus this forum) leads to ultimate success! =)

I attended a Stanford infosession (every Friday) and it was VERY well done. I'm going to Haas' July 28th infosession, and am waiting for UCLA to announce if they're going to come to the Bay Area for an infosession. If not, I'll just fly back for one of theirs sometime this summer and visit family at the same time. I'm very glad to hear that the UCLA infosession was good, I've heard good things about the school.

I'm starting to brainstorm ideas for my essays, you can see it here:

https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=48533

Not sure whether I'm offending people on this site by saying things wrong, or something else, but I haven't gotten much replies for many of the posts I've made.

I think I've spent the last month reading this site for hours a day and still have much more to read. It's been a wonderful treasure of information, and hopefully we can all share our experiences through the process and get into the schools we want to go to!

Let me know if you're going to the Haas infosession during the summer, maybe we can meet up!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
At the risk of sounding self-serving (which I'm not trying to be) if anyone is considering a Manhattan class, I can get you $200 off. (Yes, I get a amazon gift card for the referral.. no im not doing it for that, its not a big bonus). Just PM me for info.

On an aside... whose visiting the GSB this fall? :)
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak, I am planning to visit Haas and attend one of their sessions. It would be nice to meet up and attend the event and get some ideas.

On a side note, I will be visiting GSB Chicago in early August and I will meet the admissions personnel and try to get some info from them.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
hey Aviroop, sure thing, let's PM each other as the date comes near and meet up for the Haas infosesion.

For Chicago, did you just call the adcom and requested a one on one visit, or is this part of an event they planned?

rhyme, would like to apply to Chicago, but they seem much more focused on finance and I'm looking more international/entrep. stuff. Strategy consulting does sound interesting after reading what you did.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
hey Aviroop, sure thing, let's PM each other as the date comes near and meet up for the Haas infosesion.

For Chicago, did you just call the adcom and requested a one on one visit, or is this part of an event they planned?

rhyme, would like to apply to Chicago, but they seem much more focused on finance and I'm looking more international/entrep. stuff. Strategy consulting does sound interesting after reading what you did.

Do a bit more digging on the GSB ... I think you'll be surprised how incredibly strong Chicago's international offerings are. Look into the IBEP, huge study abroad network and the IMBA they offer - specifically geared towards an international focus.

Also check out the Polsky Center - they even "hire" entrepreuners there for the summer.. Have a good idea you want to pursue? The Polsky center pays you to work on it over the summer. Its a pretty awesome deal.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:

On an aside... whose visiting the GSB this fall? :)

I would love to, but for now I am stuck in Europe because of my Green Card processing... If everything is done on time, I will make sure to visit before applying...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:

I agree with rhyme on that one. After talking to a few alumni here in France, it seems like Chicago not only is strong on the international side, but also offers other after-school opportunities than finance (I met with a McKinsey lady, as well as a Marketing guy for Johnson and Johnson)

Plus, the crazy essay makes it all worth it to apply...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
It is very interesting that the crazy essay is winning so much more interest (for the GSB) among applicants.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Haha, yeah, I'm almost tempted to apply for GSB just because of those essays!

The only problem is if I apply, I will spread myself out too thin and not increase my chances any more (since Chicago is an ultra-elite).

I'm applying to these three in the 1st round:

Stanford, Berkeley - I'll need all the advantages I can get, thus 1st round.
UCLA - Doing apps first so I can do the Stanford/Cal ones better, and this is my "backup" school, so I still want to apply R1 so I maximize my chances of getting into a school I want to go to.

If I add Chicago in, with it's crazy (but fun) essays and ultra-elite status, I don't think I'll be able to give the above three justice, nor will I have enough time to focus on Chicago to give myself the best chance possible.

If I apply to Chicago R2, then it's quite unlikely that I get in, since they'll probably get a lot of applications this year due to the new essay formats.

Then there's still Stern to consider, if they are strong in Int'l Biz/Entrep. (I only know them for their finance and Media/entertainment.

Any suggestions?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
I did 4 apps in R1... Harvard, Chicago, Kellogg and Cornell. You can do it if you try... and anyway, if you don't make it for R1s deadline, you can always hit submit and be in R2.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme, when did you start your applications? I'm con-currently studying for the GMAT (which I'm in the "one month to study" club) and brainstorming/researching schools for the month of July. I guess for the application process, I'm starting somewhat "earlier", but from how difficult people have made it sound, I don't know if I can do 4 in R1. There's also the issue of getting the recommenders (whom I already warned) to do all 4.

I guess I'll start on Chicago (after doing some research on them and see how much I like the school) sometime during R1, and if I miss the deadline, I'll just aim for R2.

Just not sure about the freezing winter weather though :P
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
they'll probably get a lot of applications this year due to the new essay formats.

And because they were ranked #1 in BW ranking this time
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14  ...  16