Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2010 Businessweek Rankings

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2010
Posts: 2
Location: Dallas - SMU's COX area (on campus)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: 2010 Businessweek Rankings [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2010, 02:11
walker wrote:
Hey, guys, we all can disagree on criteria but maybe something is going on in Cox.
It seems Bloomberg BW is not the only one.



Walker, Something IS going on with SMU's Cox. Mark my words -- Soon SMU's Cox is going to be huge probably bigger than Michigan's Ross and Chicago's Booth!!

_________________

SMU's Cox Rocks!!

Expert Post
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 3604
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 349

Kudos [?]: 1683 [0], given: 354

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: 2010 Businessweek Rankings [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2010, 06:00
Expert's post
Maybe bigger but Booth will be always better :))))

_________________

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 May 2010
Posts: 139
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2010 Businessweek Rankings [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2010, 07:24
Trying to analyse and portray meaningful conclusions from the percecptions and expectations of a bunch of students and recruiters is almost completely futile! So many factors are ambiguous. For instance how much has the economy and crappy job market skewed students perceptions of their own expectations!

Regionality isnt taken into account either. SMU went up quite a lot because students and recruiters are obviously happy with the school. UT however, even though its student satisfaction levels are the highest of the last 6 years... drops 4 places from 21 to 25! I would imaging SMU and UT would have similar recruiting patterns also. They (and Mays) have a lot of the south on lockdown. Curious, I asked the BW editors when they hosted an online chat last thursday. They couldn't quantify the drop of UT either.

Of the 3 main ratings i'm allocating about 10% weight to BW when aggregating my own personal rankings.

_________________

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion!

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 05 Mar 2008
Posts: 1477
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2010 Businessweek Rankings [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2010, 07:27
Rux10 wrote:
Trying to analyse and portray meaningful conclusions from the percecptions and expectations of a bunch of students and recruiters is almost completely futile! So many factors are ambiguous. For instance how much has the economy and crappy job market skewed students perceptions of their own expectations!

Regionality isnt taken into account either. SMU went up quite a lot because students and recruiters are obviously happy with the school. UT however, even though its student satisfaction levels are the highest of the last 6 years... drops 4 places from 21 to 25! I would imaging SMU and UT would have similar recruiting patterns also. They (and Mays) have a lot of the south on lockdown. Curious, I asked the BW editors when they hosted an online chat last thursday. They couldn't quantify the drop of UT either.

Of the 3 main ratings i'm allocating about 10% weight to BW when aggregating my own personal rankings.


My guess is that UT students expect a higher salary. Because most of the UT and SMU grads end up in the same place, geographically, why not hire MBA students at SMU and pay them less.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 652
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2010 Businessweek Rankings [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2010, 07:55
Each year's rankings just show the same thing...use the rankings as a starting point to get a general idea of schools to target and then do your own homework from there. If you're compiling a ranking of the rankings, in my opinion, you're going about your selection process the wrong way.

BW & US News both have their flaws. For example, do you really think that USNWR's quality ranking is any better than what BW does? Compare it to the corporate world - would you think a ranking where Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan evaluated each other would be free from bias? B-schools with an early graduation will argue that USNWR's placement success measure is unfair. Everyone will always have something to complain about because you can't accurately capture everything through one ranking.

_________________

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 May 2010
Posts: 139
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2010 Businessweek Rankings [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2010, 09:18
lagomez wrote:
Rux10 wrote:
Trying to analyse and portray meaningful conclusions from the percecptions and expectations of a bunch of students and recruiters is almost completely futile! So many factors are ambiguous. For instance how much has the economy and crappy job market skewed students perceptions of their own expectations!

Regionality isnt taken into account either. SMU went up quite a lot because students and recruiters are obviously happy with the school. UT however, even though its student satisfaction levels are the highest of the last 6 years... drops 4 places from 21 to 25! I would imaging SMU and UT would have similar recruiting patterns also. They (and Mays) have a lot of the south on lockdown. Curious, I asked the BW editors when they hosted an online chat last thursday. They couldn't quantify the drop of UT either.

Of the 3 main ratings i'm allocating about 10% weight to BW when aggregating my own personal rankings.


My guess is that UT students expect a higher salary. Because most of the UT and SMU grads end up in the same place, geographically, why not hire MBA students at SMU and pay them less.


True, that's surely one reason!

_________________

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion!

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 44
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: 2010 Businessweek Rankings [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2010, 13:38
The big surprises for me are Duke moving up, Haas dropping down and Stern and Yale stuck so low.

Last edited by Thr33 on 16 Mar 2011, 23:47, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Jun 2009
Posts: 333
Location: USA
WE 1: Engineering
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2010 Businessweek Rankings [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2010, 10:28
There is no doubt that business schools care about ranking. It is all about ranking. Business school is a business itself. Don't you want you business to be listed in the Fortune 500 ?

For example - one of the thing that to some extend impacts rankings is the average GPA/GMAT. Most of the scholarships are merit based. So how does the school decide on that ? GPA ? GMAT ? Both numbers pop up when the average is calculated at the end of the admission year. People with higher GPA/GMAT tend to get bigger scholarships and end up in better schools. Does a higher GMAT/GPA confirm that you are going to be a professionally successful post MBA human being ? No. But schools still give out money based on these numbers. They are buying your stats.

_________________

All things are possible to those who believe.


Last edited by adishail on 14 Nov 2010, 10:38, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 07 May 2010
Posts: 731
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: 2010 Businessweek Rankings [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2010, 10:36
adishail wrote:
They are buying your stats.


True

_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 08 Aug 2010
Posts: 47
Schools: CBS Class of 2013
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: 2010 Businessweek Rankings [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 10:27
When I was trying to decide on schools, one of the things I did was look through GMAT Club member profiles and see where they had applied, been accepted, and which they chose. I think it's important to realize that students "vote with their feet". For example, even though Booth is #1 in BW above HBS, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone accepting Booth over HBS.

It would be nice if that could be reflected somehow in the rankings.
Current Student
avatar
Status: Current Student
Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Posts: 441
Schools: USC Marshall School of Business
WE 1: Software Consulting
WE 2: Government / Healthcare
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2010 Businessweek Rankings [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 11:05
vincev84 wrote:
When I was trying to decide on schools, one of the things I did was look through GMAT Club member profiles and see where they had applied, been accepted, and which they chose. I think it's important to realize that students "vote with their feet". For example, even though Booth is #1 in BW above HBS, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone accepting Booth over HBS.

It would be nice if that could be reflected somehow in the rankings.



It may not be reflected in the rankings, but one could look at the yield statistic to determine this for one's self.

_________________

Something about Kudos or other... if you like then upvote away.

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 08 Aug 2010
Posts: 47
Schools: CBS Class of 2013
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: 2010 Businessweek Rankings [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 11:33
Yield can be useful, although it is only helpful among a peer group of schools that are after the same candidates. Doesn't indicate who its peers actually are.
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Badgerine!
Joined: 04 Oct 2008
Posts: 894
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 86

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: 2010 Businessweek Rankings [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 13:08
vincev84 wrote:
When I was trying to decide on schools, one of the things I did was look through GMAT Club member profiles and see where they had applied, been accepted, and which they chose. I think it's important to realize that students "vote with their feet". For example, even though Booth is #1 in BW above HBS, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone accepting Booth over HBS.

It would be nice if that could be reflected somehow in the rankings.

I agree. The best measurement of a school's "ranking" is the order in which people would choose the school over its peers. Such a ranking would produce results similar to the traditional M7 and beyond.

I'd expect the groupings for the top 15 to look like this (on average)
Group 1. Harvard/Stanford
Group 2. Wharton
Group 3. Booth/Kellogg/Sloan
Group 4. Columbia
Group 5. Haas/Tuck
Group 6. Anderson/Darden/Fuqua/Ross/Stern/Yale

Now, we have plenty of GMAT Club members who have proven that this grouping isn't true in all cases, but I think it's close enough for a generalization. Each school has it's own specialization, so in some cases it actually makes sense to attend a school from a lower grouping (i.e. Haas over Kellogg). There's also the factor of location, teaching methods, and school culture. For sake of this grouping, you should assume that cost of attendance is the same at each of the schools, but we know that's another factor that often influences peoples decisions in the real world.

What do you guys think? Would you arrange these schools differently?

_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Dec 2009
Posts: 420
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2010 Businessweek Rankings [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 13:23
Avernusaur wrote:
I'd expect the groupings for the top 15 to look like this (on average)
Group 1. Harvard/Stanford
Group 2. Wharton
Group 3. Booth/Kellogg/Sloan
Group 4. Columbia
Group 5. Haas/Tuck
Group 6. Anderson/Darden/Fuqua/Ross/Stern/Yale

Now, we have plenty of GMAT Club members who have proven that this grouping isn't true in all cases, but I think it's close enough for a generalization. Each school has it's own specialization, so in some cases it actually makes sense to attend a school from a lower grouping (i.e. Haas over Kellogg). There's also the factor of location, teaching methods, and school culture. For sake of this grouping, you should assume that cost of attendance is the same at each of the schools, but we know that's another factor that often influences peoples decisions in the real world.

What do you guys think? Would you arrange these schools differently?



I would generally agree with the above as well, but would make couple of minor changes:

Group 1. Harvard/Stanford
Group 2. Wharton
Group 3. Booth/Kellogg/Sloan
Group 4. Columbia/Haas
Group 5. Anderson/Darden/Fuqua/Ross/Stern/Tuck/Yale

Or
Group 1. Harvard/Stanford
Group 2. Wharton
Group 3. Booth/Columbia/Kellogg/Sloan
Group 4. Haas/Tuck
Group 5. Anderson/Darden/Fuqua/Ross/Stern/Yale

Obviously there are a bunch of wiggle room when it comes to the groups 3 to 6 (or to 5 in my case). I'm sure others will have slightly different groups as well.

_________________

kudos if you like me (or my post) :P

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Dec 2009
Posts: 420
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2010 Businessweek Rankings [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 13:26
Or even:

Group 1. Harvard/Stanford
Group 2. Wharton
Group 3. Booth/Kellogg/Sloan
Group 4. Columbia/Haas/Tuck
Group 5. Anderson/Darden/Fuqua/Ross/Stern/Yale

_________________

kudos if you like me (or my post) :P

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Posts: 212
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2010 Businessweek Rankings [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 15:09
adalfu wrote:
Or even:

Group 1. Harvard/Stanford
Group 2. Wharton
Group 3. Booth/Kellogg/Sloan
Group 4. Columbia/Haas/Tuck
Group 5. Anderson/Darden/Fuqua/Ross/Stern/Yale


What about Big Red(Cornell)? Andy Bernard anybody?

_________________

GMAT Debrief

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 08 Aug 2010
Posts: 47
Schools: CBS Class of 2013
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: 2010 Businessweek Rankings [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 15:57
I agree with this one:

Group 1. Harvard/Stanford
Group 2. Wharton
Group 3. Booth/Columbia/Kellogg/Sloan
Group 4. Haas/Tuck
Group 5. Anderson/Darden/Fuqua/Ross/Stern/Yale
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Dec 2009
Posts: 420
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2010 Businessweek Rankings [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 16:15
dc3828102 wrote:
adalfu wrote:
Or even:

Group 1. Harvard/Stanford
Group 2. Wharton
Group 3. Booth/Kellogg/Sloan
Group 4. Columbia/Haas/Tuck
Group 5. Anderson/Darden/Fuqua/Ross/Stern/Yale


What about Big Red(Cornell)? Andy Bernard anybody?


Substitute Cornell with either Anderson or Fuqua if you like. But I still think Cornell is (just) slightly outside top 16.

_________________

kudos if you like me (or my post) :P

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: 2010 Businessweek Rankings [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 23:41
you can't base any decision on one rankings. you should at least do an average of 3-4 rankings to get the picture...
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Sep 2010
Posts: 57
Schools: Kellogg, Booth
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: 2010 Businessweek Rankings [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 05:05
Avernusaur wrote:
vincev84 wrote:
When I was trying to decide on schools, one of the things I did was look through GMAT Club member profiles and see where they had applied, been accepted, and which they chose. I think it's important to realize that students "vote with their feet". For example, even though Booth is #1 in BW above HBS, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone accepting Booth over HBS.



I have. I think you guys are putting way too much emphasis on a what amounts to a statistically insignificant difference between the program. The fact of the matter is each school is generally frequented by the "top companies". As such, how successful you are is still a function of what you bring to the table and what you make of your opportunities. I think someone would be doing themselves an extreme disservice if they didn't look at the problems holistically to determine where they would fit in the most and where they would be able to maximize their opportunities.
Re: 2010 Businessweek Rankings   [#permalink] 16 Nov 2010, 05:05
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic BusinessWeek 2012 MBA Rankings AVbyT 28 01 Aug 2012, 04:05
Businessweek MBA Rankings 2012 AVbyT 0 01 Aug 2012, 04:05
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Businessweek 2011 Full-time Rankings mbarealestate 2 06 Dec 2011, 08:27
3 Businessweek Rankings johncoctostan 7 14 Oct 2008, 19:07
BusinessWeek ranking Hjort 10 08 Jan 2005, 14:34
Display posts from previous: Sort by

2010 Businessweek Rankings

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 65 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.