Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Chicago Booth
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: 2010 Laptop discussion [#permalink]
unhedged wrote:
I just ordered the x201 as well. Got it with the 3yr warranty, ultrabase and 9 cell battery for 940+tax. Removing my upgrades, could have had it for 765 + tax

Hey, what were the specs for your laptop build? I plan on purchasing the x201 but am having trouble getting it priced at under $1000. Is there a deal/coupon you used? Please let me know when you have a chance.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:Booth 2012
WE 1: Fixed Income IB/Trading
Send PM
Before you buy any consumer electronic retail/new, always google "the brand coupon" i.e. "lenovo coupon". You'll probably find a lot of codes.

This got me some points at work, since I instantly saved my boss 15% on his new laptop. Unfortunately, I didn't get to pocket the difference!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
I ordered through the lenovo.com/spp website, which is free to register for. From inside, they had a 10% off coupon as well.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thanks for the help...
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
vino wrote:
The following are my criteria for a windows laptop that I will practically live with throughtout school:

Features listed in priority:
  1. 12-13.3 inch (11.6 is too small, 14 is too big)
  2. < 4 lbs weight (~3 lbs would be awesome)
  3. battery life > 5 hrs
  4. core i3 (or i5 if possible. SU7300 and SU9400 would be OK for now, but will feel slow in a couple years)
  5. 3 or 4 GB ram
  6. $600 - $850 price range
  7. HDMI out
  8. webcam
  9. inbuilt DVD drive
  10. Dedicated graphics card

The only ones that I can find given these are:
  1. Thinkpad X201 Recent Deals(compromises on 6,7,9,10)
    12.1", i5/i7, 9+ hrs, 4 GB, ($900-$1100)
  2. Acer 3820T Amazon Link (compromises on 9, 10)
    13.3", i3, 8 hrs, 4 GB, $700, HDMI, webcam
  3. Acer 3820GT (yet to be released)
    13.3", i5/i7, 8 hrs, 4 GB, ~$850, HDMI, webcam, graphics card
  4. Asus UL30JT (yet to be released)
    13.3", i7, 12 hrs, 4 GB, ~$900, HDMI, webcam, graphics card

Any other suggestions? I am gonna wait it out for a couple weeks and order it mid-July. In addition to this, I am carrying a very powerful desktop with a 25" Samsung 2570HD LCD/TV for all my home entertainment needs

my favorite of this bunch is the Acer 3820T. the gf is also looking for a new laptop for school, and that's the one i'm recommending she get. i dont expect the lack of a dvd drive to be an issue; at worst just buy an external one and keep it in the bag
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
shadowsjc wrote:
vino wrote:
The following are my criteria for a windows laptop that I will practically live with throughtout school:

Features listed in priority:
  1. 12-13.3 inch (11.6 is too small, 14 is too big)
  2. < 4 lbs weight (~3 lbs would be awesome)
  3. battery life > 5 hrs
  4. core i3 (or i5 if possible. SU7300 and SU9400 would be OK for now, but will feel slow in a couple years)
  5. 3 or 4 GB ram
  6. $600 - $850 price range
  7. HDMI out
  8. webcam
  9. inbuilt DVD drive
  10. Dedicated graphics card

The only ones that I can find given these are:
  1. Thinkpad X201 Recent Deals(compromises on 6,7,9,10)
    12.1", i5/i7, 9+ hrs, 4 GB, ($900-$1100)
  2. Acer 3820T Amazon Link (compromises on 9, 10)
    13.3", i3, 8 hrs, 4 GB, $700, HDMI, webcam
  3. Acer 3820GT (yet to be released)
    13.3", i5/i7, 8 hrs, 4 GB, ~$850, HDMI, webcam, graphics card
  4. Asus UL30JT (yet to be released)
    13.3", i7, 12 hrs, 4 GB, ~$900, HDMI, webcam, graphics card

Any other suggestions? I am gonna wait it out for a couple weeks and order it mid-July. In addition to this, I am carrying a very powerful desktop with a 25" Samsung 2570HD LCD/TV for all my home entertainment needs

my favorite of this bunch is the Acer 3820T. the gf is also looking for a new laptop for school, and that's the one i'm recommending she get. i dont expect the lack of a dvd drive to be an issue; at worst just buy an external one and keep it in the bag

Have to agree on the 3820T. It's without a doubt my next purchase unless Acer comes out with a better model in the near future. They can be had for US$650 these days, though I can't find an i5 model for the life of me. Negligible business application performance difference, and at that price you can't argue at all.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
i would wait till xmas season where there will be tons of laptops on slickdeals... i got my Lenovo Ideapad 550 last Dec with great specs for 1/4 of the cost. Laptop is really not that expensive unless you start wanting great graphics cards and bluray..
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
slickdeals has a core i7 Lenovo X201 for $877 right now.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
is an optical drive even needed for Bschool?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:Columbia Business School '13
 Q49  V44
GPA: 3.22
WE 1: Public Accounting (big firm)
WE 2: Public Accounting (small firm)
WE 3: Internet Startup
Send PM
just picked up Toshiba r705. this thing is really light.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Schools:Baruch / Zicklin
 V3
Send PM
I am starting an MBA program at the end of january and needed a laptop. Since I paid for tuition out of pocket, im going to try and save where i can... so i decided to use my work laptop - a lenovo x200s - for school. it's a generation old and came with a 160gb drive which i swapped out for an intel 80gb ssd drive. this machine boots to the desktop and is ready to use in 24 seconds, goes to sleep in 5 seconds and resumes from sleep in about the same amount of time. i can run from one class to another and be up and running pretty quickly with this setup. i also plan on getting a security cable so i can attach it to my bag in case i have to run out of the class or something. added security...

additionally, i bought a sony digital recorder so i can record lectures. this is the model https://www.amazon.com/Sony-ICD-PX820-Di ... 575&sr=8-1

it has great reviews and records in mp3 format. although it comes with software, you dont really need it. simply plug in the recorder to your machine, transfer the mp3s over and you're done. it works just like a usb drive.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Tuck Class of 2013
Send PM
I did not receive any admit or dings yet, but I am already thinking on which laptop I would buy for BSchool. The Lenovo X220 will come out in the next months, but I just saw the MacBook Air 11" and got amazed by it !

For those who are already in the BSchool or that just got admitted, do you believe that a MacBook is not a ideal tool during the MBA ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
I am planning to grab a netbook or MacBook air and use my existing desktop. That coupled with a smartphone, and you are pretty much set. Ipad, although sexy, isn't a must have at this point.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
Send PM
time to update the thread for 2011?
did anyone buy a new computer recently?
I think most of the schools have good discount at the beginning of the class, right?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:HBS
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Quick question: for those in bschool, do you guys carry around your laptops all the time and work outside of your room most of the time?

I'm still deciding between a 12" and a 14" and I'm wondering if it's best to buy an ultraportable with a dock and an external monitor. But that won't help if I'll be in the library all the time.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring &amp; Distressed M&amp;A
Send PM
Vapor wrote:
Quick question: for those in bschool, do you guys carry around your laptops all the time and work outside of your room most of the time?

I'm still deciding between a 12" and a 14" and I'm wondering if it's best to buy an ultraportable with a dock and an external monitor. But that won't help if I'll be in the library all the time.

That really depends on the student. Most people I know at least carry a laptop, iPad, or netbook to class. Most bschools also have lockers for students to keep stuff at school.

I originally went to school with Vaio TT series and then after it broke down, I switched to Thinkpad X series. It's not like we are in engineering or math phd program. Most laptops will do fine. I do recommend "ultra-portable + long battery life" oriented laptops. (Unless you want to rip up the textbook and carry them by chapter by chapter basis like I do.....be warned that paper cuts are common when ripping up the textbook.... :( )
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:HBS
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
nink wrote:
Vapor wrote:

That really depends on the student. Most people I know at least carry a laptop, iPad, or netbook to class. Most bschools also have lockers for students to keep stuff at school.

I originally went to school with Vaio TT series and then after it broke down, I switched to Thinkpad X series. It's not like we are in engineering or math phd program. Most laptops will do fine. I do recommend "ultra-portable + long battery life" oriented laptops. (Unless you want to rip up the textbook and carry them by chapter by chapter basis like I do.....be warned that paper cuts are common when ripping up the textbook.... :( )

Wow... I never even thought about ripping up the text book... But maybe I'll end up doing that too :p

So the X series isn't too small for you when working with spreadsheets? I understand the processor requirement isn't very high for bschool, but it's the screen size that I'm not sure about.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9