Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 00:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2010 Master of Accounting applicants UNITE!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: 2010 Master of Accounting applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 16:05
I dont think USC has given many (if any) interviews yet.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: 2010 Master of Accounting applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2010, 09:23
I received the following from Shirley at USC today:

"I have reviewed your strong application and would love to talk with you about your plans and how interested you are in spending a year in sunny Southern California. If you would like to discuss your plans and our program, let me know some good dates and times and we’ll set up an appointment. I look forward to hearing from you."

It doesn't say INTERVIEW anywhere in there, but I assume that's what it is! I will update after I speak with her.

Has anyone heard from USC yet?
Intern
Intern

Re: 2010 Master of Accounting applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2010, 09:34
I am assuming that email means interview.

belle009 wrote:
I received the following from Shirley at USC today:

"I have reviewed your strong application and would love to talk with you about your plans and how interested you are in spending a year in sunny Southern California. If you would like to discuss your plans and our program, let me know some good dates and times and we’ll set up an appointment. I look forward to hearing from you."

It doesn't say INTERVIEW anywhere in there, but I assume that's what it is! I will update after I speak with her.

Has anyone heard from USC yet?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 2010 Master of Accounting applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2010, 10:18
Cyan wrote:
I am assuming that email means interview.

Agreed. And congrats on the interview belle.

I e-mailed the USC office to see if I could get a sense for when all decisions will be made (the website only mentions international decisions will be finalized by March/April), but I haven't heard back (not surprising).

I'm going on a campus visit to check out UT next week, but I can't find anything similar with Illinois. UT set up an itinerary with specific appointments, class sit-ins, a meeting with a current student, a campus tour, etc. They're really going the extra mile, whereas the Illinois guy just told me he could answer questions over the phone during his office hours. I called the visitor center and they said they only have "admitted student days" for undergrads. They don't even offer weekend campus tours until Feb 20th, less than a week from my deadline! On top of that, their website is very lacking compared to UT and some of the others. I'm not sure why they don't have anything in place to help someone make a decision on the program. Maybe they think their #2 national ranking is enough...

Is anyone else planning on taking visits or are you comfortable making the decision "online"?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: 2010 Master of Accounting applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2010, 11:57
PackMan93,

I'd like to ask about UT austin admission. When did you know the result exactly? Because I haven't heard from them yet. T-T does it meannnnnn????

Thanks
Intern
Intern

Re: 2010 Master of Accounting applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2010, 13:34
GMATpp wrote:
PackMan93,

I'd like to ask about UT austin admission. When did you know the result exactly? Because I haven't heard from them yet. T-T does it meannnnnn????

Thanks

Hi there. Found out on the 23rd.

Got an e-mail from USC similar to Belle's, so I guess it's an "interview".

We'll see next week though.
Intern
Intern

Re: 2010 Master of Accounting applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 04:17
Hey all,

I got a 620 on my GMAT (I don't now the breakdown by heart),3.7 GPA with acct and finance majors.
Interned with Deloitte 3 years ago,interned with a bank a year ago,and I am currently working at E&Y in Serbia until I go back to school in September.

Anyway, I got accepted to Ohio State,and waiting on Boston College and Baruch. I would like to get a job in the northeast region, primarily because my girlfriend is from there.
OSU is the best ranked program of my three choices, but would going to a school in the target area be more beneficial??
I have read some articles and opinions stating that the rankings are not THAT important when it comes to MSA... I don't know. I am really struggling with picking a school. (Granted I get into either BC or Baruch. If I don't, then I have nothing to consider or worry about. haha).

Cheers everyone!
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: 2010 Master of Accounting applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 06:42
Nowiman wrote:
Hey all,

I got a 620 on my GMAT (I don't now the breakdown by heart),3.7 GPA with acct and finance majors.
Interned with Deloitte 3 years ago,interned with a bank a year ago,and I am currently working at E&Y in Serbia until I go back to school in September.

Anyway, I got accepted to Ohio State,and waiting on Boston College and Baruch. I would like to get a job in the northeast region, primarily because my girlfriend is from there.
OSU is the best ranked program of my three choices, but would going to a school in the target area be more beneficial??
I have read some articles and opinions stating that the rankings are not THAT important when it comes to MSA... I don't know. I am really struggling with picking a school. (Granted I get into either BC or Baruch. If I don't, then I have nothing to consider or worry about. haha).

Cheers everyone!

Ohio State is probably not the best school to get a Big 4 placement in the Northeast. The only big midwest school with lots of alum representation at my previous Big 4 firm was Notre Dame.

With your GMAT and GPA, you should get into Baruch. You are on the borderline for BC.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: 2010 Master of Accounting applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 10:19
PuckMan93 wrote:
Hey everyone,

Got my Illinois - Urbana-Champaign acceptance today.

Just waiting on USC now...

Congrats! I'm currently waiting to hear back from them as well.
Intern
Intern

Re: 2010 Master of Accounting applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 10:48
Anyone hear from UNC yet?

Their early date was suppose to be by today, 2-1....
Intern
Intern

Re: 2010 Master of Accounting applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 15:03
Hey Puckman, can you let us know what you thought of UT-Austin when you get back from your visit? I know its on several of our shortlists and I'd appreciate your input. :)
Intern
Intern

Re: 2010 Master of Accounting applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 15:29
Hi all,

I had my USC interview (if you could call it that) with Shirley and I was accepted!

I would be happy to answer any questions to help others out.

Good luck everyone!
Intern
Intern

Re: 2010 Master of Accounting applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 17:21
belle009 wrote:
Hi all,

I had my USC interview (if you could call it that) with Shirley and I was accepted!

I would be happy to answer any questions to help others out.

Good luck everyone!

Congrats!

May I ask if you are an International student?
I applied on Jan 9th, but I havent heard anything from USC yet. The online status has been the same since I submitted my application
Since it's the only school I applied so far, I am pretty nervous now. Shall I call and ask them?

GPA: 3.87, senior year now at a top 15 business undergraduate school, accounting major
GMAT: 690
WE: interned w/ manufactures, bank over the previous summers
RL: one from accounting professor, one from line manager at the bank
Intern
Intern

Re: 2010 Master of Accounting applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 23:46
eileenwy,

I am not an international student. Shirley also told me that my interview was very early on in the admissions process, so I wouldn't worry if you haven't heard anything yet.
Intern
Intern

Re: 2010 Master of Accounting applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2010, 11:04
Vic4297 wrote:
Hey Puckman, can you let us know what you thought of UT-Austin when you get back from your visit? I know its on several of our shortlists and I'd appreciate your input. :)

Sure. I leave Saturday so I'm excited. I'm meeting with two students and several other advisers/faculty, so it should be a useful trip.

Just had my "interview" with Cathy from USC and was accepted so I'm heading out there to check it out in a couple weeks. These trips are adding up quickly but I don't know how to decide without visiting!

And congrats Belle! Maybe we'll be classmates in the near future. Are you going to visit the campus?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: 2010 Master of Accounting applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2010, 19:34
Congrats belle009 and PuckMan93!

I really hope I can join you guys soon :-D

Can you guys elaborate more on what you guys talked about during the interview?
Did you guys do the interview over the phone?
Intern
Intern

Re: 2010 Master of Accounting applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2010, 08:53
ciphet wrote:
Congrats belle009 and PuckMan93!

I really hope I can join you guys soon :-D

Can you guys elaborate more on what you guys talked about during the interview?
Did you guys do the interview over the phone?

Hey ciphet.

The interview was really informal. We chatted for 10 minutes, then she asked me a couple of generic questions like why I'm interested in the program. After that I asked her questions for about 30 minutes and then she said I was accepted at the end.

That's about it.
Intern
Intern

Re: 2010 Master of Accounting applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2010, 11:30
Becoming very anxious to hear back from UIUC. I'm an undergrad here now, so if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.
Intern
Intern

Re: 2010 Master of Accounting applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2010, 11:37
Congrats Puckman! I am planning on visiting campus, but I'm not sure when I will be able to make it happen.

Ciphet, I'll share my interview experience:

Mine was also a VERY informal phone interview. We started off by chatting about my hometown because Shirley had recently visited it.

Then she asked me a couple of questions:
-Specific question related to my admissions essay.
-If I was serious about attending USC.
-And, what other schools I applied to/if I was accepted.

Then, she told me I was accepted! Very painless. The rest of the time, I just asked her questions about recruitment, summer intensive, etc. The whole thing lasted about 15 minutes.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: 2010 Master of Accounting applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2010, 13:10
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats belle009 and Puckman!
Just heard back from U of Michigan and I was accepted! w00t!
Re: 2010 Master of Accounting applicants UNITE!   [#permalink] 04 Feb 2010, 13:10