Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 08:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2011 Master of Accounting / Taxation applicants UNITE!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [1] , given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
2011 Master of Accounting / Taxation applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 06:39
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
2011 Master of Accounting / Taxation applicants UNITE!

For all applicants to MS Accounting or Taxation programs (2011 entrance)

Reporting Format:
Program: [MAcc or MST]
Applying to School A, School B, School C
GMAT: xxx, GPA: x.x

Friendly Current USC MAcc Student:
belle009
2011-master-of-accounting-taxation-applicants-unite-100267-40.html#p816909

Link to 2010 Thread:
2010-master-of-accounting-applicants-unite-88630.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 688 [2] , given: 548

Re: 2011 Master of Accounting / Taxation applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 13:03
This post received
KUDOS
Dawgie wrote:
Do you know on average how long it takes for a decision to be rendered, assuming they have the complete application?

That depends on the school. If it's rolling admissions, they review the applications based on whoever sent it in first and usually it can take as little as about 3 weeks (around 5 weeks if app volume is high).

If the school reviews all the applications after the deadline (in the same pool), then again, it will depend on the app volume. Most people hear back between 3 to 6 weeks.

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

Re: 2011 Master of Accounting / Taxation applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 04:44
This post received
KUDOS
geauxtigers wrote:
I'll go ahead and throw in my stats/schools even though I still have to take final GMAT.

Program: MS Accounting
Schools: UT-Austin, USC, Notre Dame, Michigan, Louisiana State University
Undergrad: Louisiana State University, Accounting Major, Internal Audit specialization
GPA: 3.7 major, 3.6 overall
GMAT: 650 (Q40, V40) on Official GMAT Prep practice test w/ no preparation
Work Experience: Summer internship in Big 4 Advisory practice; internship in internal audit department of Fortune 500 company; two parts of CIA (Certified Internal Auditor) exam passed as of today - taking last two parts over the next month.

Ordered my GMAT prep books yesterday, taking GMAT in early November. Shooting for closer to 700 which I think should be attainable with a little preparation. Will update after taking official GMAT.

Also applying to Villanova's M.S. in Finance, and Duke's Master's of Management Studies program.

I got in to ND last year with pretty much the exact same stats as you. Good Luck!
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

Re: 2011 Master of Accounting / Taxation applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2010, 17:22
This post received
KUDOS
Hi all,

I am not a 2011 applicant, but I am a current MAcc student at USC. If you have any questions about the program, I am someone who will answer TOTALLY HONESTLY. Feel free to PM me with any questions.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 688 [1] , given: 548

Re: 2011 Master of Accounting / Taxation applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 05:23
This post received
KUDOS
azurik12x wrote:
Does anyone know when exactly I should apply? I know I need to get my letters of recommendation before spring busy season (I'll be asking some audit managers where I interned for recommendations), but the UGA website says that the deadline isnt until May 1st 2011.

A lot of schools have rolling admissions policy, which makes the deadline kinda useless. (In this case, you should NEVER wait until the deadline because the admits will be sent out on first come first serve basis) Find out which schools have that policy. As long as the application for the new app year is up, you can pretty much send in your app (as long as your app is ready).

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 2

Re: 2011 Master of Accounting / Taxation applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2010, 19:17
This post received
KUDOS
I'll go ahead and throw in my stats/schools even though I still have to take final GMAT.

Program: MS Accounting
Schools: UT-Austin, USC, Notre Dame, Michigan, Louisiana State University
Undergrad: Louisiana State University, Accounting Major, Internal Audit specialization
GPA: 3.7 major, 3.6 overall
GMAT: 650 (Q40, V40) on Official GMAT Prep practice test w/ no preparation
Work Experience: Summer internship in Big 4 Advisory practice; internship in internal audit department of Fortune 500 company; two parts of CIA (Certified Internal Auditor) exam passed as of today - taking last two parts over the next month.

Ordered my GMAT prep books yesterday, taking GMAT in early November. Shooting for closer to 700 which I think should be attainable with a little preparation. Will update after taking official GMAT.

Also applying to Villanova's M.S. in Finance, and Duke's Master's of Management Studies program.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 2

Re: 2011 Master of Accounting / Taxation applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 11:05
This post received
KUDOS
sw33t84 wrote:
Hello geauxtigers, I had one quick question.
Is it okay to take the GMAT after we apply it?
I did not apply to schools yet but I noticed the deadline for master of accounting (USC) is changed from last year.
For example, USC deadline was January for last year, but for this year the deadline is OCT.

can you please let me know what you meant by taking test on NOv. seems like it is after the deadline.
Thank you very much.

Definitely not :shock:. The application isn't even up yet!

USC's Website wrote:
The link for online applications for 2011 should be available by October 15, 2010.

Maybe you got confused by that
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 2

Re: 2011 Master of Accounting / Taxation applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 15:24
This post received
KUDOS
While we're on the subject of discussing alternatives to the typical external audit/tax route, I'll give a shout out to my current school's (Louisiana State University) Internal Audit program. http://www.bus.lsu.edu/centers/cia/

I'm wrapping up my last semester in the program right now as an undergrad, but you can also take it as part of the graduate program. The program is considered the premiere internal audit program in the world (it was actually started back in the 80's as the pilot school by the IIA). It places very well into Big 4 advisory roles as well as F500 internal audit positions. LSU's tuition costs are also extremely cheap and they're in the process of constructing a brand new business building, so it's got a lot going for it.

If anyone has any questions, send me a message and I'd be happy to answer them.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: 2011 Master of Accounting / Taxation applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 17:44
This post received
KUDOS
Diogenes wrote:
Umm, because when the placement stats show that only 5% get into banking, you shouldn't expect to be one of the 5%. When 88% get into public accounting, then you can probably expect to be in the 88% if you work hard and want to do public accounting...

True. But you should consider that many of the students don't have any desire to do banking/consulting. I'm not sure what percentage try to get banking jobs, but I imagine most MPA students are solely looking at Big 4. The ones who want to do banking can do it from undergrad; they don't need the MPA.

I have to agree with you though on one thing. He shouldn't attend UT with the idea it will land a banking position. The MPA degree is more flexible than most programs, so there may be that option; but I wouldn't depend on it.

Last edited by kseel on 05 Oct 2010, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: 2011 Master of Accounting / Taxation applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 13:12
This post received
KUDOS
UWHuskies11 wrote:
Hi all,

Admitted:
Notre Dame (with 9K scholarship)

Waiting:
UVA
UIUC
Denver

I should be hearing back from the other schools soon. However, do you guys think it is worth paying extra to go to Notre Dame if the tuition at other schools ends up being much cheaper? I think Notre Dame is the best fit for me, but it could also be the most expensive. Thoughts? Any ND alums out there that could share their experiences with me and what they think of my situation?

ND MSA alum here. I faced a similar decision between ND and my undergrad institution, a state school with big 4 recruiting. I am very happy with my decision, I learned a ton and made great friends. The Sports and the culture of the school are awesome too. Buuut, it was expensive. I justified my decision based on the fact that I didn't have a full time offer with a firm (which I did get at ND) and the experience. The (slight) advantage ND may have over those schools is the national reach of alumni, which makes referral recruiting easier. (In fact, I had an non-Chicago offer from one of the firms without an office visit.)
Intern
Intern
Schools: UGA, Georgia State

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: 2011 Master of Accounting / Taxation applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 18:11
Program: Macc

Schools: University of Georgia
Georgia Southern University

GMAT: 600 (39 Quant, 34 Verbal)

GPA: 3.4 Cumulative
3.5 Accounting

ROLL CALL PG UPDATED
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.25
WE: Consulting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 2011 Master of Accounting / Taxation applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 20:21
Program: MAcc (Tax track, where offered)
Schools: UNC, UIUC, Wake Forest, W&M, SMU (and maybe Notre Dame UVA and Michigan if I decide to take further accounting courses beyond Int II over spring/summer to qualify)

Profile:
740 GMAT (6.0 writing)
3.2 Undergrad GPA (econ, average Canadian school)
- A and A+ in intro financial and management accounting
- taking Int I and II this fall and spring, while finishing law school
3.1 Law School GPA (T25 school)
- 1 year WE in high net worth wealth management
- Law School research assistant
- Public Interest Legal Internship
- Series 7 & 66
- CFA L1 passed; L2 will be taken in June
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2011 Master of Accounting / Taxation applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 20:31
BigSlick wrote:
Program: MAcc (Tax track, where offered)
Schools: UNC, UIUC, Wake Forest, W&M, SMU (and maybe Notre Dame UVA and Michigan if I decide to take further accounting courses beyond Int II over spring/summer to qualify)

Profile:
740 GMAT (6.0 writing)
3.2 Undergrad GPA (econ, average Canadian school)
- A and A+ in intro financial and management accounting
- taking Int I and II this fall and spring, while finishing law school
3.1 Law School GPA (T25 school)
- 1 year WE in high net worth wealth management
- Law School research assistant
- Public Interest Legal Internship
- Series 7 & 66
- CFA L1 passed; L2 will be taken in June

Curious why you aren't considering UT Austin, BYU, or USC?

ROLL CALL PG UPDATED

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Intern
Intern
Schools: UGA, Georgia State

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: 2011 Master of Accounting / Taxation applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 05:17
Does anyone know when exactly I should apply? I know I need to get my letters of recommendation before spring busy season (I'll be asking some audit managers where I interned for recommendations), but the UGA website says that the deadline isnt until May 1st 2011.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2011 Master of Accounting / Taxation applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 07:30
nink wrote:
azurik12x wrote:

A lot of schools have rolling admissions policy, which makes the deadline kinda useless. (In this case, you should NEVER wait until the deadline because the admits will be sent out on first come first serve basis) Find out which schools have that policy. As long as the application for the new app year is up, you can pretty much send in your app (as long as your app is ready).

Hi nink,

Do you know on average how long it takes for a decision to be rendered, assuming they have the complete application?

Thanks,
Dawg

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.25
WE: Consulting (Accounting)

Re: 2011 Master of Accounting / Taxation applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 07:34
Dawgie wrote:
BigSlick wrote:
Curious why you aren't considering UT Austin, BYU, or USC?

ROLL CALL PG UPDATED

I've definitely thought about USC and UT. I don't have the accounting background for BYU, and the mormon thing is a turn off. Since I am a Canadian citizen, my current list of schools is mainly based on choosing schools that have direct lending to internationals (UNC, Michigan) or programs where I might be able to keep costs low through a combination of lower tuition, paid internships, and/or a decent chance at scholarship money.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: 2011 Master of Accounting / Taxation applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 12:41
My list of schools
UNC-Chapel Hill
SUNY Albany
Rutgers
Wake Forest
UT-Austin

Stats
3.0 GPA
Mathematics major
710 GMAT (50 Q, 35 V) (6.0: Writing)
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2011 Master of Accounting / Taxation applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 19:05
nink wrote:
Dawgie wrote:

That depends on the school. If it's rolling admissions, they review the applications based on whoever sent it in first and usually it can take as little as about 3 weeks (around 5 weeks if app volume is high).

If the school reviews all the applications after the deadline (in the same pool), then again, it will depend on the app volume. Most people hear back between 3 to 6 weeks.

+1 thanks for the help nink, hope your career change is going well.

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 52

Re: 2011 Master of Accounting / Taxation applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 20:34
+1 nink!

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Intern
Intern

Re: 2011 Master of Accounting / Taxation applicants UNITE! [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 03:20
Hi everyone, just like to introduce myself! I am applying for the Jan scholarship deadline for USC Macc and the March deadline for UT Austin's MPA. Still have to take final GMAT.

#1 choices: UTA, USC
#2: UIUC, BC, UMich, and BYU

UG School: Large state, BA communication, 3.62 cumulative, 3.62 major
ECs: President of Investment Society, Student Managed Fund
Internships: (7)--I started in High School: 3 at top NYC asset manager, 1 at global ad agency, 1 investment research
ECs/Softs: Founder of 2 startups, 3 year undergrad TA, non-profit bakery

Waiting to do my last fall internship (couldn't get jobs during the recession), then applying for 2011. Good luck everyone, and this place is a fantastic resource!

ROLL CALL PG UPDATED
Re: 2011 Master of Accounting / Taxation applicants UNITE!   [#permalink] 15 Sep 2010, 03:20