Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 06:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 06:49
Hi Carmon,

My advice on considering your background when selecting an Engineering major was focused more on departments as a whole, and not on tracks within a department. For example, if your undergraduate degree & background is in Mechanical Engineering, it may not be wise to apply to Electrical Engineering unless you have a compelling reason to do so.

It sounds like you're considering two tracks in the Mechanical Engineering department, right (BME & Manufacturing)? If this is the case, then you should be all set. The ME department isn't going to review a BME-track application differently than it's going to review a Manufacturing-track application.

Overall, I would recommend keeping in mind the main reason for which you'd likely be coming to graduate school: further preparing you for your future career. Use that vision as guidance in your application, not what you think will give you the best chance to get in.

Bob
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2011, 05:24
Hi Bob,Zach
I'm applying to the LGO program. I have an experience of 28 months till now(35 months till Jun 11).
Will this affect my application,since the average experience in the current batch is about 4.6 yrs ?

My profile :
Company : Cisco Systems,Bangalore(LGO Partner)
Role : Leading 3 teams of 6 people each(One of youngest leaders in Cisco)
Undergrad : National Institute of Technology,India(among reputable college in India).
GPA :3.7 (major)
GRE :1450(760+690)
Publications : 4 Patents in progress.
Interest : Product development and process innovation in Computer Networking.

Please let me know.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2011, 06:25
Hi ashwinshankar,

As I am a current student with no tangible input (or even visibility) to the workings of the admissions process, I unfortunately can't comment on the specifics of your profile.

Regarding your level of experience, my advice is to apply when you feel like you are ready. In graduate school, much of the coursework and discussion is predicated upon the experience of the students in the class. There is no substitute for this, and you'll get much more out of the classes when you can relate to the discussions through your own career experiences.

I would try to view your endeavor into graduate school as a forum for acquiring the skills you lack to take your career in the direction you want it to go. Once you know what direction that is, and what skills you need to acquire to get there, then your application should write itself.

Bob
Intern
Intern

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2011, 07:36
Thanks Bob.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations
WE: Operations (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 9

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 12:33
Hello again, to anycurrent LGO:

For the recomendattions, did you guys get a very high profile company person (CEO CFO type of guys) or did you guys used your managers or supervisors, perhaps even peers?

I have one rec to give out still and I am thinking wether it should go to the highest rank I get along with or just other managers or people that truly really know my work.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Reviews Badge
Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2011, 11:46
First of all apologies for late response, i had been travelling and couldn't write updates :( ..

I had attended LGO Ambassador day and it was wonderful. There was so much energy in the atmosphere and everyone was accomplished in some of the other sense. Our tour was organized by Victoria and she knew almost every corner of MIT and its history (Since I always consider MIT as best engineering school, I enjoyed learning about it). Every one was so welcoming and willing to share their thoughts
LGO felt more like a corporate setting than a b-school setting and it didn't feel like an MBA with some engineering inputs or vice-versa. I found a focus on engineering with a manager's eye and this is what I had been looking from a program.
The visit was also critical for me as I wasn't able to decide on the engineering track (for me the two engineering tracks were in two different departments). I was lucky that I could attend a second class on the next day, and got a feel of the difference on the classes in the two engineering tracks and now I know I am applying to Mechanical Engineering

Overall, I recommend everyone considering to apply to LGO to visit LGO if possible, as its not a regular MBA and it may be more different than you imagined.

GMAT: 750 Q51 V40
GMAT Prep1: 740 Q50 V40 ; GMAT Prep2: 760 Q49 V44; MGMAT1: 700 Q48 V37; Kaptest: 710 Q47 V41; GMAT Prep3: 760 Q50 V44
10-days-before-the-gmat-103450.html

Manager
Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2011, 11:51
Ashwinshanker, since it says the average is about 4.6 years, there have to be people with lesser no. of wrok-ex. Having said that, there are students in both LGO 12 and LGO 13 who had similar amount of work-ex
Hope that helps....

GMAT Prep1: 740 Q50 V40 ; GMAT Prep2: 760 Q49 V44; MGMAT1: 700 Q48 V37; Kaptest: 710 Q47 V41; GMAT Prep3: 760 Q50 V44

Manager
Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2011, 11:56
A question to all:
For LGO, we need 3 reco and the third should be from some one who can speak comprehensively about my technical abilities, preferably from an academic source
Does it definitely have to be from a professor, or could it be also from a manager. Its important for me, as even though I am in regular touch with my professors, its been six years since I passed out of college (and it is considered a long time I guess)
Pls help

Intern
Intern

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2011, 02:37
Hello everybody,

I am keen on applying for the MIT LGO programme, but I find myself in bit of a quandary- I am a Computer Science Engineering graduate who is keen on applying to the ESD dept, specifically the Manufacturing and Supply Chain track. While I understand from the LGO website that one either needs to have a MS in any field or a BS in Industrial Engineering to apply for it, it also mentions that weightage will be given to the work experience. I was a senior software engineer working in the SAP Governance, Risk and Control Practice at Bosch for 3.5 years. Currently I'm based in the Middle East working in the procurement division of a manufacturing company(for a change, i've become the end user of an ERP system :-D ) that provides extruded aluminium profiles for the construction needs of the region. From my pov, it makes more sense for me to major in ESD than EECS. But will my application be considered because I only have an undergraduate engineering degree in Computer Science?
Manager
Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2011, 03:15
rnin wrote:
Hello everybody,

I am keen on applying for the MIT LGO programme, but I find myself in bit of a quandary- I am a Computer Science Engineering graduate who is keen on applying to the ESD dept, specifically the Manufacturing and Supply Chain track. While I understand from the LGO website that one either needs to have a MS in any field or a BS in Industrial Engineering to apply for it, it also mentions that weightage will be given to the work experience. I was a senior software engineer working in the SAP Governance, Risk and Control Practice at Bosch for 3.5 years. Currently I'm based in the Middle East working in the procurement division of a manufacturing company(for a change, i've become the end user of an ERP system :-D ) that provides extruded aluminium profiles for the construction needs of the region. From my pov, it makes more sense for me to major in ESD than EECS. But will my application be considered because I only have an undergraduate engineering degree in Computer Science?

Hey rnin,
Though, I am not from the adcom, but I don't think you need to worry about it. The application center clearly states that 'Engineering Systems' doesn't require a specific engineering degree. Your application should be considered.
However, a word of caution, since ESD has the highest intake, and EECS one of the lowest; you need to frame your story pretty solid. I can see, you've more experience in supply-chain than CS, you need to communicate the same firmly and it would make a lot of good if one of your managers can vouch about your supply-chain knowledge

Intern
Intern

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2011, 03:39
rajadi wrote:

Hey rnin,
Though, I am not from the adcom, but I don't think you need to worry about it. The application center clearly states that 'Engineering Systems' doesn't require a specific engineering degree. Your application should be considered.
However, a word of caution, since ESD has the highest intake, and EECS one of the lowest; you need to frame your story pretty solid. I can see, you've more experience in supply-chain than CS, you need to communicate the same firmly and it would make a lot of good if one of your managers can vouch about your supply-chain knowledge

Program Details-> Engg Programs->ESD-> 'The Leaders for Global Operations Connection: Engineering systems is an appropriate field for LGO students who already have a master's degree in an engineering field or an undergraduate degree in a field such as industrial engineering.' (Since I'm a new member to this forum, I can't post the link.)

I know this statement doesn't really exclude students who've done their undergrad in other fields, but I thought I could use some clarification about this before I decide to invest time in preparing a LGO app with a ESD focus.
Manager
Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 10:14
rnin wrote:
rajadi wrote:

Hey rnin,

Program Details-> Engg Programs->ESD-> 'The Leaders for Global Operations Connection: Engineering systems is an appropriate field for LGO students who already have a master's degree in an engineering field or an undergraduate degree in a field such as industrial engineering.' (Since I'm a new member to this forum, I can't post the link.)

I know this statement doesn't really exclude students who've done their undergrad in other fields, but I thought I could use some clarification about this before I decide to invest time in preparing a LGO app with a ESD focus.

Hi, I would suggest to visit the MIT Sloan online application center. Under the section LGO Appliants only, you can find a note about the Engineering Tracks. I think that should be able to clear your doubts. Else, you may want to check with Adcom
Regards,

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations
WE: Operations (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 9

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 12:23
Whos ready to hit submit!!!!????

Not me... still gotta chase down my references.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Sloan '14 (A)
GRE 1: 321 Q162 V159
GPA: 3.59
WE: Other (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2011, 14:21
First post. This message board looks to be pretty valuable, the posts from this and previous years are pretty informative, thanks for setting this up. Look forward to messaging with you guys over the next few months. I am applying to LGO for June 2012.

-Jose
Intern
Intern
Schools: Sloan '14 (S)
GPA: 2.9
WE: Engineering (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 06:54
I'm in for applying. Getting my finishing touches put on and prompting my recommenders.
Intern
Intern

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2011, 20:06
Submitted today. When are we expecting them to send out invitations for interviewfest? Jan 7th? First Friday of the year like last year?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Health Care)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2011, 20:27
gatech2lgo wrote:
Submitted today. When are we expecting them to send out invitations for interviewfest? Jan 7th? First Friday of the year like last year?

I will submit my application by tomorrow morning. Have a question regarding the cover letter. My word limit has gone up to 560 because of the addresses that I put in for cover letter format. Any thoughts if thats ok?
Intern
Intern

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2011, 21:21
Hemantuec wrote:
gatech2lgo wrote:

I will submit my application by tomorrow morning. Have a question regarding the cover letter. My word limit has gone up to 560 because of the addresses that I put in for cover letter format. Any thoughts if thats ok?

I applied through the school of engineering, so I dont have any thoughts regarding the cover letter.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 2.9
WE: Engineering (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2011, 05:16
Hemantuec wrote:
gatech2lgo wrote:

I was told that the address did not count toward the word total. I submitted last night, now the waiting game.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2011, 07:54
I submitted last night, good luck to those who already did and those who are doing it today.
At 2500 words, is LGO application the longest?
Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread   [#permalink] 15 Dec 2011, 07:54