Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 14:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Sloan '14 (S)
GPA: 2.9
WE: Engineering (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2011, 11:32
It was my only app, so would say yes it is the longest. Are you not counting the optional essay in that total? Did anyone not complete the optional essay?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Health Care)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2011, 11:34
combobreaker wrote:
Hemantuec wrote:
gatech2lgo wrote:
Submitted today. When are we expecting them to send out invitations for interviewfest? Jan 7th? First Friday of the year like last year?

I will submit my application by tomorrow morning. Have a question regarding the cover letter. My word limit has gone up to 560 because of the addresses that I put in for cover letter format. Any thoughts if thats ok?

I was told that the address did not count toward the word total. I submitted last night, now the waiting game.

Thanks
Manager
Manager

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2011, 11:35
combobreaker wrote:
It was my only app, so would say yes it is the longest. Are you not counting the optional essay in that total? Did anyone not complete the optional essay?

I did write the optional essay!! any ideas on when the interview invites go out?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations
WE: Operations (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 9

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2011, 17:25
I am in!
again... wont give up on applying until I am called by Don Rosenfield on a sunny day of march of any given year...

Expected timeline is:
Jan 04 - Jan 07 - First and largest wave of invites to interviewfest will occur on any of these days
Jan 08 - Jan 24 - Random invites to interviewfest occur.
Last weekend of January (Friday through Monday) - Interviewfest and events for invites
Last week of February - International applicants will get calls. (very few internationals invited to Interviewfest, as in 1 or 2)
March 9 - Don Rosenfield gives a call to some lucky SOBs.
March 10 - Suicide-fest with coolaid for those who do not get a call.
April 10 - Those who did not suicide are invited to join Occupy LGO/ESD movement.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Reviews Badge
Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2011, 19:25
fsaq wrote:
I am in!
again... wont give up on applying until I am called by Don Rosenfield on a sunny day of march of any given year...

Expected timeline is:
Jan 04 - Jan 07 - First and largest wave of invites to interviewfest will occur on any of these days
Last weekend of January (Friday through Monday) - Interviewfest and events for invites
Last week of February - International applicants will get calls. (very few internationals invited to Interviewfest, as in 1 or 2)
April 10 - Those who did not suicide are invited to join Occupy LGO/ESD movement.

Thanks fsaq for such detailed info... am an international applicant and know its going to be a tough ride for me, submitted my app yesterday :)
Hope I satisfy them with the app. LGO is a long app but its worth every penny of it

GMAT: 750 Q51 V40
GMAT Prep1: 740 Q50 V40 ; GMAT Prep2: 760 Q49 V44; MGMAT1: 700 Q48 V37; Kaptest: 710 Q47 V41; GMAT Prep3: 760 Q50 V44
10-days-before-the-gmat-103450.html

Manager
Manager

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2011, 22:13
Hey all, if you guys have the time, can you update your profile, schools >applicattion submmited to LGO and dates to get a more accurate headcount on the sample size of the gmatclub thread? The bigger our group the better to keep in touch during this process and not miss a detail or a spec of news from the LGO office.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 05:31
Do the interview fest Iinvites go out in a big batch or do they trickle through over a few days?
Intern
Intern

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 07:21
fsaq wrote:
I am in!

Expected timeline is:

Did you apply through engineering again or through Sloan?
Manager
Manager

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 07:51
This time I applied through Sloan. The application is far more self explanatory and streamlined than the engineering one and although it hurt to pay 250 USD rather than the 75 USD you pay through engineering, I think the ease of use overall was worth it. Also, I did not have to mail in official sealed transcripts as Sloan lets you self-report them with the condition that should you get an interview, you will have to provide the original sealed ones. But for the purpose of getting the application ready on the last minute (ahem ahem procrastinators like myself also deserve a chance to get in), Sloan is the way to go.

Also the engineering application cuts off your words to the maximum allowed on each essay (at least this was last year). Sloan is a simple PDF conversion that cuts you some slack if you go over 5 or 10 words.
Manager
Manager
Volunteer Experience: 24 Months Full-Time
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
GRE 1: 322 Q162 V160
GPA: 3.8
WE: Education (Health Care)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 69

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 08:41
Hello,
I just submitted my application yesterday for LGO!
I'm looking forward to hear how the interview process goes for everybody.
This is my first post on this site, and I've never actually taken the GMAT (just the new GRE) but I like the community here and the information everyone contributes.

That was quite the application, but I felt pretty proud of it by the time I clicked submit last night.

Good luck everyone!
Intern
Intern

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 05:46
iamvolitant wrote:
Hello,
This is my first post on this site, and I've never actually taken the GMAT (just the new GRE) but I like the community here and the information everyone contributes.

That was quite the application, but I felt pretty proud of it by the time I clicked submit last night.

Good luck everyone!

It's great that you have joined us here. I didn't take the GMAT either but this is the only place I found that everyone is in the same boat, waiting to hear from the program. It is nice to have that small bit of support.

I did notice that you are quite young for a B-School applicant. I have an outlying stat myself, my UG GPA was 2.9, and wonder how you addressed this in your application. Did you acknowledge you age (job experience) or did you just leave it alone? For my GPA I did not try to justify it, but instead acknowledged it and discussed how I have shown my ability for an academically rigorous program with other accomplishments (such as my high graduate school GPA).

I’d say the ability to give a more holistic view of myself was the reason I applied through the MBA program. The Engineering school would have taken a look at that GPA and pushed me into the trash can. That could still happen with the MBA school, but I figured I had a better shot this way.
Manager
Manager

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 12:39
iamvolitant wrote:
Hello,

Good luck everyone!

iamvolitant have you gotten 2 years of work experience yet? I see on your profile notes that you are applying to HBS 2+2. good luck!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Schools: Sloan '14 (I)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.54
WE: Engineering (Consumer Electronics)

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 15:03
Count me in for LGO. Now the waiting game begins. I've managed to minimally visit this site while I was applying, but I think I'm going to be visiting here a lot while I wait and obsess...
Manager
Manager

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 15:21
Hey all again, can you guys update your personal profile and add "MIT LGO" as a school and update the status as submitted please? This will get us a better headcount of the people using this forum as their main unofficial news bulletin for the process.

If you are a lurker that just reads all of the comments here, please sign up (its free) and update your status to MIT LGO as well. The more accurate the gmatclub sample is, the better so as to be able to keep track of everything that happens during the process. (and leave a record for those experiencing nerves next year when they apply and look for an information source).

Cheers and happy holidays!
Manager
Manager

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 16:29
combobreaker wrote:
It's great that you have joined us here. I didn't take the GMAT either but this is the only place I found that everyone is in the same boat, waiting to hear from the program. It is nice to have that small bit of support.

I did notice that you are quite young for a B-School applicant. I have an outlying stat myself, my UG GPA was 2.9, and wonder how you addressed this in your application. Did you acknowledge you age (job experience) or did you just leave it alone? For my GPA I did not try to justify it, but instead acknowledged it and discussed how I have shown my ability for an academically rigorous program with other accomplishments (such as my high graduate school GPA).

I’d say the ability to give a more holistic view of myself was the reason I applied through the MBA program. The Engineering school would have taken a look at that GPA and pushed me into the trash can. That could still happen with the MBA school, but I figured I had a better shot this way.

Hey combo,
Yes I am quite young for LGO. I think 24 was the bottom of the range for the 2013 class profile. And I didn't really address this in my application. I didn't feel that it fit in with any of the essays or my statement of objectives. Instead I focused just on my work experience as I felt it was entirely relevant and would help them see past the inexperienced-college-senior image they likely have. I also figured that, other than a lack of WE, there wasn't really a downside to being young, so I just tried to really show what I learned and accomplished in my career.

I also feel a bit of your pain on the GPA. I decided to take Elec, Mag and Modern Physics 2020 and Chemistry 1010 through the community college when I was 16. It didn't affect my UG GPA (thankfully) but it's the first course that shows up on my application (since it's required to be in chronological order). I thought a C in both classes wasn't too shabby for a 16 year old, but I'm afraid they might instantly think I have poor quant skills when they see it without understanding the circumstances. I briefly mentioned these courses were taken in HS on my resume, but I wonder if I should have clarified more...

fsaq wrote:
iamvolitant have you gotten 2 years of work experience yet? I see on your profile notes that you are applying to HBS 2+2. good luck!

Fsaq,
Good eye on the profile :) I am also thinking about an application to HBS 2+2. However I do have the required work experience for LGO. I've been with a national medical laboratory working full time for the last 3 years. I got the chance to participate in a few operations redesign projects and later led several of my own projects that resulted in 100k saved annually, better efficiency and higher quality. I now work in corporate education for our company of 3000 employees. The assistant VP offered to write a really great and detailed letter for me explaining my contributions to the company, so I hope this will be sufficient for my work experience in operations.
It would be nice if the amount of accomplishments I made at work would actually make my young age a strong point for my application, but I'm not going to count on it.

As for HBS 2+2, Maybe some of you can give me a bit of advice. I am in my senior year in college and realized this is the only time I will get the chance to apply through 2+2.
My reasoning was that since this is a program designed for students with an UG in a field other than business (me), and students that wouldn't normally pursue a MBA, that admissions might appreciate me more than the standard MBA adcom would. I also thought competing against other seniors with very little WE would be an advantage for me. Among other benefits I figured I could always apply to the standard HBS R3 or next year if 2+2 doesn't work out. But I won't get another shot at 2+2
This might be the wrong place to ask, but since it was brought up, let me know if any of you think this might be a good way to go about it.
Manager
Manager

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 16:40
Another question for each of you, if you haven't mentioned already, how did everyone apply?

I know combobreaker went through Sloan,
I applied through the engineering application,
What about everyone else? And did it really cost $250 to apply through Sloan?

Also what field of engineering is everyone taking?
My field is Aero/Astro, specifically Air Transportation Systems

Is the number of students admitted through each field capped? I know the partner companies are diverse, but if the top 50 applicants were all ChemE would they take all 50? Or would they take some weaker candidates just to diversify the cohort?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Sloan '14 (A)
GRE 1: 321 Q162 V159
GPA: 3.59
WE: Other (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 17:03
iamvolitant wrote:
Another question for each of you, if you haven't mentioned already, how did everyone apply?

Is the number of students admitted through each field capped? I know the partner companies are diverse, but if the top 50 applicants were all ChemE would they take all 50? Or would they take some weaker candidates just to diversify the cohort?

I applied through ESD and I am interested in the Manufacturing Systems and Supply Chains program. It is by far the most popular engineering field among LGOs but I havent read anything about specific targets or distributions that the admissions office looks to hit.
Manager
Manager

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 17:11
iamvolitant wrote:

Hey again, I applied through Sloan, yes it costs 250. Through engineering it only costs 75 though. My field is also Aero/Astro in air transportation systems. I currently work for an airline and that is my post-LGO path if I get in (although I highly doubt i will even get an interview since no airline is a partner company to the program and my goals may not align with the Partners of LGO).

My recomendattion would be that you also apply to HBS 2+2 if you still have the emotional strength to do another application, although I am wishing you the best of lucks so you get into LGO and hopefully you wont need to worry about 2+2.
Intern
Intern

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 06:12
iamvolitant wrote:

I sure hope they give a bump to folks interested in the less popular engineering fields. I applied for the Biological Engineering program which typically has almost no interest. I think that may change in the future considering that several partner companies are making Biological drugs, but for now most of those students go into the ChE program or ESD.

Did most people applying also go to the ambassadors day?
Manager
Manager

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 06:29
combobreaker wrote:
iamvolitant wrote:

I sure hope they give a bump to folks interested in the less popular engineering fields. I applied for the Biological Engineering program which typically has almost no interest. I think that may change in the future considering that several partner companies are making Biological drugs, but for now most of those students go into the ChE program or ESD.

Did most people applying also go to the ambassadors day?

I don't think your application gets bumped if you choose a less popular engineering fields. The engineering fields have their own requirements for ex. a person with EE background cannot go into Biological Engineering as he would not have the required coursework. The field you chose should match your long term goals. That's what I learned at the Ambassador day!!! :)
Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread   [#permalink] 20 Dec 2011, 06:29