Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 12:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 08:47
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

MIT LGO MBA Program

Add Your Name to the List

Chicago Booth Applicant Summary (Real Time)

Quick Glance: GMAT Club vs. Latest Intake (Class of 2013)

Detailed Applicant List: Add Yourself to This List (add MIT LGO to your profile)

GMAT Club's Real-time Admissions Statistics

Add Your Profile to This List
Questions about this Roll Call?

My name is Bob and I'm a first year student in the MIT Leaders for Global Operations program. If you're new to the program, LGO is a two-year, dual-degree MBA/MS Engineering program founded at MIT between the Sloan School of Management and the School of Engineering. LGO is focused on educating technically-polished future business leaders to solve tomorrow's operations challenges. I am starting this thread with a few classmates to help answer some questions, to familiarize you with the program, and to let you know what being a student at MIT/Sloan is really like.

A little bit of my background:
Graduated in 2006 from Carnegie Mellon University with a dual-degree BS Mechanical Engineering & Biomedical Engineering
Entered into General Electric's OMLP rotational development program after college and worked for 2 more years in supply chain positions at GE
Worked for 1.5 years in Nuclear Power Plants engineering at Westinghouse Electric Company

And now for some good resources on LGO...

The best initial sources for information are the program website:
http://lgo.mit.edu
http://lgo.mit.edu/docs/lgo_brochure_2010.pdf

Additionally, I would check out the main program blog, student blogs and alumni blogs:
http://lgo-blog.mit.edu/

To formally introduce yourself to LGO and receive event invites and other information:
https://inq.applyyourself.com/?id=mit-lgo&pid=1397

Follow us on Twitter and facebook:
http://twitter.com/#!/MITlgo
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MIT-Leade ... 9001770621

Let us know what questions you have or just use this as a no-stress place to chat with other applicants!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Sloan '14 (M)
GRE 1: 337 Q168 V169
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 9 [2] , given: 0

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 09:34
This post received
KUDOS
Haha, his post threw me off too. Notice he said January 6, ***2010***.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 0

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2012, 07:46
This post received
KUDOS
For all those only applying to LGO, I would offer a word of caution. I followed that path last year, and like others, I left my interview confident about my future as an LGO student. Unfortunately, Don never called. The week that followed was rough, but I realized that with a clear vision and a lot of ambition other programs can help me achieve my goals. Don't get me wrong, LGO is the best, but the 50 or so students who get in do not have a guaranteed ticket or a monopoly on greatness. You can learn what you need to learn at a variety of institutions, and if you are passionate about achieving your goals then you must evaluate every possible path and make available every possible opportunity. Don't fall into the trap that LGO is the only program worth uprooting your life. Acheiving your goals is worth uprooting your life, LGO or not. I am anxious for an interview invite, and I hope for a call from Don, but if it doesn't happen, another school will take me and I will do what I need to do in order to succeed. Good luck all.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2011, 07:50
This post received
KUDOS
mourinhogmat1,

Thanks for your questions. I think regarding test scores, you can find all the information you need at:

http://lgo.mit.edu/engineering-mba.html.

For the class of 2013, the average GMAT score was around 710, and the average GRE Quant score was 760. LGO accepts either the GMAT or the GRE, though. You can take either exam, and definitely don't need to take both.

We're taking about 7 classes this summer, and the level of teaching has been incredible. Our Probability/Statistics professor is honestly the best instructor I've had at any level. In all, I've found the quality of teaching to be exactly what you'd expect from MIT.

Lastly, the program is quantitatively intense in a number of ways. Quite a few of our required MBA courses are cross-listed as engineering courses and are taught at a graduate engineering level. For example, our Systems Optimization class has us diving pretty deeply into concepts like linear programming, matrix algebra, and programming in Matlab. I don't believe there are any firm pre-requisites, but remember, you have to have taken an undergraduate curriculum that stands up to the admissions standards of the School of Engineering, not just the Sloan School.

Hope that helps!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 20:26
This post received
KUDOS
CrazyH,

Thanks for the question: I want to expound on Bob's comments on student life. For me, one of the best things about LGO is the close community. I know that sounds cliché, but it is definitely true. Being such as small group (~50), we are able to get to know each of our classmates very well and I cannot imagine a better group of people. It is amazing to see so many people with diverse backgrounds come together to have fun and learn. It is by no means easy, but it sure is more manageable knowing that your classmates are there to help you, not to compete with you. This “intangible” and “soft” aspect of life here is hard to quantify or put into words (we at MIT hate that), but it is an important part of life here.

-Zach
1 KUDOS received
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 55 [1] , given: 75982

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2012, 11:49
This post received
KUDOS
iamvolitant wrote:
xyz14 wrote:
Do we think we have enough of a sample size on this board to know when invites go out?

If only 300 people apply, and about 100 are invited to interview, I imagine we at least hear from 7 people on the board getting an invite, not to mention a few people not yet registered who will come here to ask questions before their interviews.

but like they said: invites are issued between now and all the way up to the admission date, so some that don't hear back next week might still get an invite later on.

I used similar numbers. If we assume only 20 people are here, including lurkers, and that anyone who received an invite would post it, the probability that no one here received an invite is incredibly small: (I assumed independence to simplify, it's fairly close to independent)

(\frac{2}{3})^2^0 = .03%

We can be 99.97% confident that invites have not been sent out, yet. That's high enough for me to rest easy.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Sloan '14 (A)
GMAT 1: Q V
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2012, 18:59
This post received
KUDOS
uug wrote:
iamvolitant wrote:
xyz14 wrote:
Do we think we have enough of a sample size on this board to know when invites go out?

If only 300 people apply, and about 100 are invited to interview, I imagine we at least hear from 7 people on the board getting an invite, not to mention a few people not yet registered who will come here to ask questions before their interviews.

but like they said: invites are issued between now and all the way up to the admission date, so some that don't hear back next week might still get an invite later on.

I used similar numbers. If we assume only 20 people are here, including lurkers, and that anyone who received an invite would post it, the probability that no one here received an invite is incredibly small: (I assumed independence to simplify, it's fairly close to independent)

(\frac{2}{3})^2^0 = .03%

We can be 99.97% confident that invites have not been sent out, yet. That's high enough for me to rest easy.

I haven't posted yet- Mostly a lurker, but that post made me so happy, I love it! I knew that I would like the kinds of people who are applying to this program. Good luck to everyone!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Sloan '14 (M)
GRE 1: 337 Q168 V169
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 12:06
This post received
KUDOS
yxj02ster wrote:
combobreaker wrote:
I’m also only applying to only this one program, it was the only thing that I could justify leaving my job for two years to do. I hope it works out for you this year, during the ambassador’s day I met three students that were admitted as re-applicants.

Combobreaker, can you share more about your experience on the ambassador day. I missed this great opportunity.

Like many here, I too am only applying to the LGO program.

Although I did not attend ambassador day, I can share my experience meeting with an LGO student for an afternoon in September. Maybe it will help some of you pass the time easier.

While visiting a friend in Boston I decided to take the opportunity to also tour the MIT campus. Unfortunately, my visit was timed during the first week of Fall classes and initial indications were that no one from the LGO program would have time to meet with me.

At the last minute, an LGO student contacted me and said he would be more than happy to meet me for lunch and allow me to sit in on an LGO meeting and a Sloan class.

After touring the beautiful new Sloan building, I was treated to lunch in the cafeteria. While getting to know my student guide, it became clear to me that this program would be a great fit; my guide was affable, intelligent, and had no intention of totally abandoning his engineering roots.

My initial impressions were further confirmed when I visited the LGO offices and met several students who were hanging out. Everyone was friendly, personable, and I could immediately perceive the close sense of community among the LGOs (people jokingly ribbing one another, no one taking everything overly serious, etc.). Students were laid-back, but still serious about school, a balance that I have always striven to achieve.

While sitting in on a student-run planning meeting for the Plant Trek I was also exposed to another characteristic of typical LGO students: competency. The meeting was run very efficiently and was not plagued by the singular problem that seems to dominate many corporate meetings: people feeling the need to speak up even if the point being raised is obvious or irrelevant to most of the meeting participants (e.g. contributing nothing just for the sake of having contributed). The meeting was effective without being overly formal.

To end my visit, I participated in a "Business Communication" class (can't remember the official name). This class consisted of mostly Sloan students (only 3-4 LGOs were in the entire class). Because it was the first day of class, every student took a moment to introduce themselves. I found this segment of the class extremely interesting. Some students used the opportunity for resume masturbation, fulfilling the stereotype that many people associate with elite business schools (e.g. I cured world hunger while starting 5 charities for underprivileged kids), whereas others were more modest. The professor was very good, and the class was taught in a Socratic fashion (an extensive question-answer dialogue between the professor and the students). Unfortunately I had not read the case study being discussed, but I found the experience intriguing and totally different from any of my engineering classes.

I left campus that day very excited about LGO and completely convinced of my desire to get into the program.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations
WE: Operations (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 9

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2012, 09:52
This post received
KUDOS
lol rajadi I am not that much of a veteran per say, I have only applied twice.... though I have done lots of research on this because its what I really think affects our applications the most, even though you may have an equivalent to a 4.0 and a 800 gmat. Here is what I can tell you:

1)From what I have heard and been told by LGOs I have met, invites are sent very late in the game, as an example, last year, there were international invites on the last week of the game and as far as I know, one of those invites was an admit.
2)For interviewfest there are usually only 2 or just 1 international invites, could go as high as 3, but I do not think it will be more than that. It has been reported that you may not get an email, you may actually get a physical letter in the mail and then you contact the LGO office to set a date and time (for Interviewfest).
3)I visited ambassadors day on 2010 and out of the 5 internationals I met, one girl was from Israel, another girl was from Mexico, a guy from Singapur (though I think he was a permanent resident as he had a Phd already), another guy was from Mexico and one from India (I did not meet the LGO from India though I was told about him/her).
4)As far as the interview type. The international admit who got a call late in the game was told that it would be a phone interview. However, the applicant traveled to Boston and interviewed in person after asking the adcoms. This means that they bend the rules for internationals if need be, though if it is too late in the game, they will probably ask for a phone interview.
5)5 internationals per cohort is about right.

Im not sure if this helps. I have scouted every blog and historical forums for LGO, visited MIT, etc and gleaned this information through these means. I think that at the end of the day, we are looking for hope and to actually be able to say that if we submit our application, it is seriously being considered. Thats the reason why I have applied:because I do believe that if your app, is good, you get a call from Don. Had I not been convinced that internationals had a chance, I wouldnt have bothered on writing the essays and chasing for recs.

If you guys hear anything from LGO as an international, please let everyone know and tell us the details to have more facts on hand. Now I am off to Six Flags as I will not let the anxiety of this process interrupt my life. Everyone who did not get a call should do the same, we will be fine LGO or not, though LGO will help a great deal! :-)

good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2012, 09:06
This post received
KUDOS
Just emailed the LGO office and was unofficially dinged :(

I was told that it would be best to contact the MBA admissions office instead of LGO for further status updates. At least I tried twice. I am happy because I know I will look back and feel that I gave my best shot to pursue the path I wanted for myself at some point in my life. Things happen for a reason. Who know whats next.

I wish you all the best of lucks and hopefully many more in this board will get a call from Don. I will keep you all updated if I hear from Sloan as a R2 applicant.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
WE 1: R&D implantable sensors
WE 2: R&D sensors for aerospace
WE 3: Technology strategy for Nanotech Regional Collaboration

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2012, 22:44
This post received
KUDOS
did nobody get a call this friday evening?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2012, 17:00
This post received
KUDOS
Just got the rejection letter in the mail. Its official now. It says that the decision for Sloan will be on April 2. Congratulations to all accepted and best of lucks to all getting rejected and rolled over to the MBA and engineering programs. Please post any updates for interviews if you receive any. Best wishes to all.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Volunteer Experience: 24 Months Full-Time
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
GRE 1: 322 Q162 V160
GPA: 3.8
WE: Education (Health Care)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 69

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2012, 17:25
This post received
KUDOS
Just got the rejection letter too. :(
On march 1st I was also denied for the SM engineering program. I asked if it had any affect on my LGO application, and they said no. Which I thought was strange...
Anyway, no MIT for me this year

Have fun everyone, those that I met at Interview Fest were all very smart, experienced, and fun to be around. I'm sure you'll all have an awesome time and accomplish a lot.
Good luck.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 3

Reviews Badge
Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2012, 03:28
This post received
KUDOS
Congratulations to all the admits! Wish u guys have a nice 2 years ahead at MIT

fsaq and iamvolitant, sorry to hear about your decisions. Did you receive an e-mail or postal mail for decision notification? or was it updated on your application profile?

GMAT: 750 Q51 V40
GMAT Prep1: 740 Q50 V40 ; GMAT Prep2: 760 Q49 V44; MGMAT1: 700 Q48 V37; Kaptest: 710 Q47 V41; GMAT Prep3: 760 Q50 V44
10-days-before-the-gmat-103450.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 48

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 09:22
Hi LGO,
Thanks for the initiative!
Could you please clarify three burning questions about the program:
- the application deadline is mid-december, meaning it's the 2nd round for MIT? If you fail at LGO, will you be still considered for MBA program?
- how strong is the requirement for the previous engineering experience? for example, you were working at SC position, so that was considered enough? I am asking because despite having my MS in Engineering, my WE is in transportation
- how important is to be an American/EU citizen? How many foreign students do you have? I am asking because at the admission page there is a remark that those categories of students will be prioritized due to work permit issues.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 10:15
Hi Vorskl,

Thanks for the questions.

1.) You are correct that if you are not admitted to LGO, you will be considered in Sloan's Round 2 MBA admissions process. However, this is ONLY if you apply through Sloan. If you instead apply through your chosen Engineering department, and you are not admitted to LGO, you then may be considered for admission to Engineering. This varies across departments, though.

2.) There is no firm requirement to have previous engineering experience, though it certainly doesn't hurt. Most successful applicants have worked for an operations/manufacturing company, but it is not explicitly required. In my specific case, I had both supply chain/operations experience and engineering experience at separate companies, but there are several students in my class that were successful with experience in only one or the other.

3.) The information on the website regarding work authorization is correct, but there are no set quotas for US citizens/permanents or internationals. There are 5 international students in the class of 2013.

I hope this helps to answer some of those questions. Feel free to send us anything else you're interested in knowing!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 10:30
Hello All,

To follow on Bob's post, I would like to introduce myself as another first year student at MIT-LGO. My name is Zach and I am excited to be able to answer any questions you may have. I look forward to providing a student's perspective on the program, MIT, and Sloan.

And for my background:
Graduated in 2009 from the United States Coast Guard Academy with a BS in Civil Engineering. Out of the Academy, I served 2 years in the Coast Guard. My first tour was on a large cutter doing Homeland Defense/Counter-Drug Operations. I then worked in support of the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill clean-up operations.

I am looking forward to discussing the program with all of you!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 48

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 11:26
Bob and Zach,
You provided a very interesting opportunity to learn more and thus the questions are coming :)

1) I strongly consider MIT because of its solid reputation in Supply Chain concentration. In your opinion, what MIT program will be the best option if I'd like to pursue a career in that field? From that I read, my impression is that LGO focuses heavily on manufacturing?

2) What is your recommendation on demonstrating the second part of the below requirement:
Demonstrate business experience and a strong interest in a manufacturing or operations-related career
Current Student

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 12:36
Hi Vorskl,

Let me take a stab at answering these questions for you:

1.) A few years ago, the old Leaders for Manufacturing (LFM) program was rebranded as LGO to attempt to dispel exactly the impression that the program is focused primarily on manufacturing. In reality, the program is focused on all aspects of business operations. I think our current list of partner companies actually provides a pretty comprehensive look at the kinds of industries in which you might expect to work following LGO. (http://lgo.mit.edu/mit-lgo-industry-partners.html) If you take a look, you'll find quite a few companies that aren't traditional "manufacturing" companies, like Amazon for instance. Our partners look to LGO to supply them with a pipeline of leaders fluent in all areas of operations, and the program is structured accordingly. We could discuss curriculum and concentration options further, if you're interested.

2.) I personally feel that the best way to demonstrate that you have a strong interested in a manufacturing or operations-related career is to be yourself in your essays. Be open, honest, and passionate about your interests, as well as your plan(s) for the future, and the admissions committee will definitely take notice.

Hope that helps.
Bob
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.76

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 15:02
LGO13,

Thanks for all your valuable insight. As an applicant who has a strong interest in applying for this program, I would like to ask about academic qualifications that are listed on the LGO website.
It states one of the requirements to be, "Have a strong academic record and an undergraduate or graduate degree in engineering, computer science, biology, chemistry, or physics." I actually graduated with a BA in Economics, although I did take a slew of math classes throughout (all calculus courses, linear algebra, 300-level probability/stochastic, etc.) as well as 3 years of supply chain management work experience. So basically, is it a stringent requirement to have a degree in Engineering/science, or is it possible to get admitted with just a demonstrated ability in these fields (coursework, GMAT quant score)? Thanks in advance.
Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread   [#permalink] 11 Jul 2011, 15:02