Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 12:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, MIT, Kellogg
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 12:51
jzd wrote:
Congrats to everyone who received interview invitation.

I am also a first-year LGO, so please let me know how I can help :)

For those who did not get invitations, don't worry. Although I am not at all associated with the admission process, I do know people in my class were getting invitations even in February.

Good luck!

"You know people", as in you know 1 or 2 lucky souls or you know a hand full of people and there's still a moderate chance?

Also, is there something distinguishable about those people i.e. work exp, industry, international, etc. that may have caused a late invite?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 12:53
Congrats and good luck to those who received interview invites..
Can you guys tell us a little bit about your profile? Did any international applicant get a interview call?

Looks like there are still chances for those who didn't receive invites, but the chances are slim.
Lets hope for the best.. :(
Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT LGO

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 12:57
jzd wrote:
Congrats to everyone who received interview invitation.

I am also a first-year LGO, so please let me know how I can help :)

For those who did not get invitations, don't worry. Although I am not at all associated with the admission process, I do know people in my class were getting invitations even in February.

Good luck!

Hi jzd!

Do have any advice on how best to prepare for the interviews? Leah sent out a link to the Sloan Interview Preparation Guide. Do you have any additional advice from your own personal experience?

Thanks!
Ashleigh
Current Student
Schools: MIT Sloan 2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 13:01
Hi

I don't know how many were invited to interview after the first wave of invitation since I am not in admission.

For my classmates, I know there were a couple who got invited and interviewed in February...

Nothing "distinguishable" causing late invite as far as I can tell....

hbsalias wrote:

"You know people", as in you know 1 or 2 lucky souls or you know a hand full of people and there's still a moderate chance?

Also, is there something distinguishable about those people i.e. work exp, industry, international, etc. that may have caused a late invite?
Current Student

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 13:06
(This is my personal opinion) :)

1. Make sure you know your application inside out
2. Prepare new stories that you can use for various types of questions in a behavior-based-interview. I believe they will prefer you to use stories from the last 3 years.
3. Have some basic understanding of all the current LGO partner companies (we added a couple new ones this past year)
4. Be yourself/confident and relax :)

Good luck

GTGal7 wrote:

Hi jzd!

Do have any advice on how best to prepare for the interviews? Leah sent out a link to the Sloan Interview Preparation Guide. Do you have any additional advice from your own personal experience?

Thanks!
Ashleigh
Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT LGO, Tepper
WE 1: Product Development Engineer

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 13:09
sk84 wrote:
Congrats and good luck to those who received interview invites..
Can you guys tell us a little bit about your profile? Did any international applicant get a interview call?

Looks like there are still chances for those who didn't receive invites, but the chances are slim.
Lets hope for the best.. :(

A little about my profile:
30YO male American.
Berkeley undergrad engineering.
4 years product development experience at auto manufacturer, some international experience.
740 GMAT (48Q, 44V), 6 AWA.
3.5 cumulative GPA, but only 2.9 GPA during my 2 years at Cal.

Really didn't think I'd get an interview because of my GPA...
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations
WE: Operations (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 9

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 13:24
Quote:
Hi

I don't know how many were invited to interview after the first wave of invitation since I am not in admission.

For my classmates, I know there were a couple who got invited and interviewed in February...

Nothing "distinguishable" causing late invite as far as I can tell....

JZD, do yo happen to know if all interview invites for interview fest have gone out or are they still going through applications and the invites sent today are only part of a first wave? I know you said you are not associated with the admissions process but you might have heard something in the LGO office or from other classmates. Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 13:28
Good quest fsaq... I had the same question coming up..
Are all the invites for interview fest sent out in the first wave or are they still going to send more invites?
How many invites were sent out in this first wave?

Thanks!
Current Student

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 13:34
fsaq & sk84

Historically, most of the invites were sent out in the first wave and most admits interviewed at interview fest at the end of January.

As I mentioned in a previous post, there are people who were invited/interviewed in February who are now part of the class (although only a few to the best of my knowledge)

We look to interview about 100 people over 2 days at the end of January during interview fest....

sk84 wrote:
Good quest fsaq... I had the same question coming up..
Are all the invites for interview fest sent out in the first wave or are they still going to send more invites?
How many invites were sent out in this first wave?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 14:30
:(

Last edited by fsaq on 07 Jan 2011, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 15

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 14:57
I think they will only release the dings to R2 MBA after Mar8th which is 2 months away!

Consider kudos, they are good for health

Manager
Manager

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 15:34
To all international applicants,

Interview invites to interviewfest in the first wave are very rare, I believe there was only 1 last year. I just researched and I believe that domestic applicants are first cleared out and then the invitations to interviefest for international applicants are extended. I was told that last year they started on January 20 or late 1X's. If you are an international applicant, dont worry, this is normal, although you will need tu rush and buy your plane ticket in case you are outside the US. I am far more calmed now that I was explained this and I did the research and seems to be true. I can now go get a couple of beers and relax, rather than bankrupt a buffet with my depression.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 16:06
To fsaq,

Where are you from? How do you know that information?
Intern
Intern

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 17:33
I was already mentally preparing myself to try my luck for next year.
Where did you get the information from fsaq?
Are you a international applicant too??
Intern
Intern

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 21:06
Awesome.. This is great information..
I can at least get some peaceful sleep now. Thanks to you fsaq.
Hope it all turns out good.
Best of luck to those who got the invites and hope the best for those who haven't received the invites..
Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT LGO, Tepper
WE 1: Product Development Engineer

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 14:35
Any other current LGO students who could provide more insight into the interview? Any common mistakes you could highlight that we should be aware of?
Current Student

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 21:24
Hi everyone

The entire LGO 2012 class will begin the annual domestic plant trek tomorrow and we will be traveling for the next 2 weeks.

I will try to check the forum as much as I can while on the trek but I might not be able to respond to questions right away.

In the mean time, I guess I will mention couple more things
1) Each applicant's interview is very specific to his/her application material, the adcom is looking to fill specific gaps from the app. So if the duration of your interview is short, it just means the adcom got everything they are looking for (my interview was only 30 minutes)
2) If you have time, try to take advantages and attend as many events during interview fest as possible. Things like student panels and casual chat in the office are very valuable (as least for me when I was applying). And don't forget about the social event on Saturday the 29th :)

Good luck with your preparation and see you all in a few weeks.
Intern
Intern

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2011, 00:18
Can some current students comment on the status of the International applicants.
Do you have any info on this? Are the interview invites sent only for US citizens at this time?
Manager
Manager

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2011, 08:44
sk84,

relax... for real. I was freaking out as well when my invite did not come on friday. A current international LGO student told me that interviews for internationals are sent later although very very few, perhaps one or two may have received one on friday. However, it is completely normal to not receive an invite on the day equivalent to this past friday in previous years. Also if you want to research on the matter, look at the LGO thread from last year. In there you will see that international applicants got their call around January 20 or after and some had the option of scheduling in Interviewfest if they could make it.

Dont worry about it for now. If you email the LGO office and ask about the process they will tell you that the process is the same for domestic and international applicants because they have to say that. The truth is that it is not quite the same. Relax and come back into this state of paranoia around January 20.

Something that helps me relax is eating a large pizza for every day that the invite doesnt come in. You can also try a gallon of ice cream with a lot of fudge and then downing 5 or 6 shots of Jaggermeister at work. It has to be the quantity specified, otherwise it will not make you feel any better emotionally. hahahahaha just kidding.

Relax!! thats all I can say. It has not even begun for us yet . By looking at the number of applicants in this thread who got interview calls, I can also imagine that several internationals in this thread will get interview calls.
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 15

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2011, 14:46
how does LGO define international? If you are already in the US on a visa, is that domestic or international?

Consider kudos, they are good for health

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread   [#permalink] 09 Jan 2011, 14:46