Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 09:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations
WE: Operations (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 9

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 06:28
Quote:
i guess if we don't hear anything this week, (for domestic) then probably it is all over.

Dont loose hope. There are supposed to be many interview invites in february. I think someone mentioned that.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Medical devices,
WE 2: Consumer electronics
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 12:53
Anyone hear anything from LGO today?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 18:08
fsaq wrote:
Quote:
i guess if we don't hear anything this week, (for domestic) then probably it is all over.

Dont loose hope. There are supposed to be many interview invites in february. I think someone mentioned that.

@ mainhoon: I see that you are Ph.D. I also have Ph.D. and felt very good about my LGO application, however, no invite. I am PR of USA. Do you think Ph.D. is hurting our chances of doing MBA?
I have heard that many time admission committee is wondering if people like us like to stay as student forever!

Any current student has any comments on it.

Thanks.
Current Student
Schools: MIT Sloan 2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 20:32
Hi

Although there are no Ph.Ds in this year's class, we have had LGO with Ph.Ds so don't give up hope.

Good luck

jnikhil wrote:

@ mainhoon: I see that you are Ph.D. I also have Ph.D. and felt very good about my LGO application, however, no invite. I am PR of USA. Do you think Ph.D. is hurting our chances of doing MBA?
I have heard that many time admission committee is wondering if people like us like to stay as student forever!

Thanks.
Current Student

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 20:42
1) There is a Marriott right on top of the Kendall Square T-station across the street from MIT Sloan. You can call them and see if there is a special rate if you stay for the weekend.
2) I have no idea, sorry.
3) Again I have no idea but I would guess they look at your overall application. There are several different merit scholarships for the LGO class, academic scholarships are definitely among them. You might also receive scholarships from Sloan as well. I don't know exactly how many LGOs got scholarships (around 5?). I did not get one :)

Luxor42 wrote:
Questions:
1) Does anyone have specific recommendations on where to live. I'd like to be within walking distance or easy T distance of class. Should I be looking for managed properties or a sublease?

2) Are the "first round" invitees the ones they really want and thus we have a better shot of admission?

3) I'm curious about the "merit scholarships to outstanding applicants" mentioned on the Financial Information LGO page. Does receipt of one of those depend upon the interview more than anything else, or is it about objective numbers/specific interests of applicant. How many students receive extra funding?
Current Student

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 20:51
Hi

If you go through LGO partner company recruiting, they will mostly recruit for OP/SC management roles and leadership development programs.

But you will have plenty of opportunities in product management going through the Sloan side of recruiting (for example, some LGO classmates of mine are interested in product management for companies like Google and Microsoft, both of which recruit at Sloan)

atldude wrote:
Thanks JZD for your reply.

Can you elaborate a bit on the Product Management career post LGO? I saw that career track on the LGO website along with the Supply Chain Management and Operations Management.

Which partner companies recruit for product management role?
How many LGO fellows opt for product management career?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2011, 07:41
Any international invites today?
Intern
Intern
Schools: LGO

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2011, 08:44
Un/fortunately, I too have a PhD and thought the same. Interestingly, I got the interview invitation a few days after the mass invite. I tried explaining in my application why I need LGO after a PhD.
I have also heard that not many PhDs are there in LGO classes, one here and one there.

jnikhil wrote:
fsaq wrote:
Quote:

Thanks.
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 15

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2011, 08:47
Good luck atldude..

Well for the rest of us, let's just say the probability if an invite us exponentially decreasing...

Posted from my mobile device Image

Consider kudos, they are good for health

Intern
Intern

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2011, 12:45
jnikhil wrote:
Any international invites today?

None today? Fingers crossed for next week.
Manager
Manager

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2011, 14:07
Quote:

Yeap, lets hope we hear something next week. I think that there are many internationals in this thread and this is a good thing since at least ,for sure, one of us will hear something and let the others know. It seems too odd too think that lots of invites would have been sent to internationals and not one of them be one who visits this thread. I dont think any international may have heard anything yet.
Intern
Intern

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2011, 04:44
LGO website says that "Candidates applying to LGO through the MIT Sloan School of Management will be considered for the standard MBA program at MIT Sloan School of Management in the event they are not accepted into the LGO program".

Does anyone know the statistics on how many people get considered for Sloan and how many get admitted?
Also, are they considered for Sloan R2 or R3?

Thank you very much.
Manager
Manager

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2011, 08:46
Quote:
Does anyone know the statistics on how many people get considered for Sloan and how many get admitted?
Also, are they considered for Sloan R2 or R3?

I dont think they make that kind of data available, but per the LGO website in the FAQ section:

I am planning to apply to LGO through MIT Sloan School of Management. If I submit my materials in time for MIT Sloan School of Management's Round I deadline, will I receive notification (regarding MIT Sloan School of Management's decision) from the MBA program along with the other MIT Sloan School of Management Round I applicants?
No. LGO applicants will receive a decision on the MBA Round II decision date regardless of how early the application was submitted. There is no advantage to submitting an LGO application to MIT Sloan School of Management prior to the designated LGO deadline (other than finishing your application early).
Intern
Intern

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2011, 12:17
fsaq wrote:
Quote:

Yeap, lets hope we hear something next week. I think that there are many internationals in this thread and this is a good thing since at least ,for sure, one of us will hear something and let the others know. It seems too odd too think that lots of invites would have been sent to internationals and not one of them be one who visits this thread. I dont think any international may have heard anything yet.

Guessing that no ints have heard anything today?
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 15

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2011, 15:57
alright. its over now. good luck...

Consider kudos, they are good for health

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Medical devices,
WE 2: Consumer electronics

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2011, 08:21
I believe all the invites for the upcoming "interview fest" have been sent out.
Intern
Intern

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2011, 10:51
Does anyone know any good restaurants to visit while in Boston that are walking distance from campus?
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2011, 16:12
Operationsguy wrote:
Does anyone know any good restaurants to visit while in Boston that are walking distance from campus?

There are some places within walking distance of Sloan that are open for dinner but most food options are oriented towards lunch for students and office workers. If you're coming to interviewfest, there will be student hosted dinners on Friday and Monday night at various restaurants around Boston, I highly recommend going if you can.
Manager
Manager

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2011, 21:40
My heart stopped a few hours ago when I received a call from an area code 617...

It was some stupid Hult University promoter...
Intern
Intern

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2011, 04:02
All the best to all interviewers. You guys are lucky, and give your best shot. MIT is worth fighting for!
Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread   [#permalink] 26 Jan 2011, 04:02