Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: $ Finance $
Schools:Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
 Q50  V37
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Operations
Schools:MIT, UConn
GPA: 3.72
Send PM
Director
Director
 Q50  V37
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink]
The course load is pretty significant. However, we knew this going in. I will admit that sometimes there is more than you can do in an actual day. Since you can't make the day longer, you learn to prioritize and work more effectively - two skills I would argue are invaluable for the real world.

I looked into a couple others, notably Michigan and Northwestern, but neither could match what LGO had to offer.

mainhoon wrote:
Thanks LGOstudent. I will try to make it to the ambassador's day on the 25th. I guess the unpaid internship probably needs to be accounted for in the financial aspect of the decision making.

Well, finishing a MBA and a MS with a 6.5 month internship in between, should put a lot of coursework on your plate. Are there any specific accommodations made to balance load? Any input in this regard?

Also, I was curious to know if MIT had this unique combination or if there were other schools that had similar offerings? Perhaps you investigated these during your application process?

Thanks once again.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Hi Paul / Amil,

Thanks a lot for sharing so much on the course with us.
I am an Indian applicant. I have completed my undergrad in engg from one of the IITs. Post-college I worked for 3.5 years as a software engineer and then decided to quit job to assist my family in setting up a manufacturing business. So, for last 1.5 years I have working as the head of family business and I discovered the excitement of applying my engineering skills. As as result, I decided to pursue MBA to gain skills to expand my business by developing innovative products. A very important part would be to gain specific engineering skills as well - Energy and Sustainability (Engineering System).

I have following questions:

1) While going through the LGO brochure I found out that applicants who are eligible to work in one of the partner companies are given preference over other applicants. Being an Indian citizen, I am not eligible to work in US. How will it impact my admission chances? Further, as I gathered from the website, class of 2012 has only 10% international students. Do they all have work permits?

2) Recommendations: I agree with one of your comments on this forum about how professors are more accessible. Does MIT consider a professor's comments to be valid even though he/she would talk about experiences that are more than 5 years old? I ask this question because in the case of MBA application, MIT specifically asks for experiences that are within last 3 years. Also, I believe that my subordinates (I work as the head of my family biz) can comment on my technical skills. Will it be fine to have them as one of my recommender?
Current Student
Send PM
rkn wrote:
Hi Paul / Amil,

Thanks a lot for sharing so much on the course with us.
I am an Indian applicant. I have completed my undergrad in engg from one of the IITs. Post-college I worked for 3.5 years as a software engineer and then decided to quit job to assist my family in setting up a manufacturing business. So, for last 1.5 years I have working as the head of family business and I discovered the excitement of applying my engineering skills. As as result, I decided to pursue MBA to gain skills to expand my business by developing innovative products. A very important part would be to gain specific engineering skills as well - Energy and Sustainability (Engineering System).

I have following questions:

1) While going through the LGO brochure I found out that applicants who are eligible to work in one of the partner companies are given preference over other applicants. Being an Indian citizen, I am not eligible to work in US. How will it impact my admission chances? Further, as I gathered from the website, class of 2012 has only 10% international students. Do they all have work permits?

2) Recommendations: I agree with one of your comments on this forum about how professors are more accessible. Does MIT consider a professor's comments to be valid even though he/she would talk about experiences that are more than 5 years old? I ask this question because in the case of MBA application, MIT specifically asks for experiences that are within last 3 years. Also, I believe that my subordinates (I work as the head of my family biz) can comment on my technical skills. Will it be fine to have them as one of my recommender?

1) We have 5 international students in our class. I am not sure how they make the admissions decisions, but there are less international students (as %) in LGO than in Sloan.

2. The more recent the better, but if you had a great recommendation from more than three years ago i think it would be fine. Mine was 4 years old from my undergrad professor.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Paul and Amil, thanks for providing your insights on MIT's LGO program.

I am applying to the MIT LGO for 2011 entry and had some questions, if you wouldn't mind:

1. Does 70% subsidy include housing, food, textbook, etc. costs?

2. Are there anymore LGO Ambassador Days coming up shortly?

3. What reading would you recommend prior to starting the MIT LGO?

4. How hard is it to create an East-Asian internship for one of the partner companies? I heard the students are surveyed on their internship interests and then that feedback is discussed with partner companies.

5. Could you potentially complete a full load of MBA electives and core classes while completing the LGO? Minor concern/ambition to exhaust my MBA course experience while accomplishing the Engineering MS requirements.

6. Do you know of any MIT LGO's that obtained internships or post-LGO positions located in East-Asia (China, Korea, Japan, Singapore, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia, Cambodia, etc.)?

(An example of a job I'd like to obtain: GE Energy - based in Singapore, operations role serving satellite operations in neighboring countries - China, Korea, Japan, etc.)

Thanks again!
Current Student
Send PM
oldskooldp wrote:
Paul and Amil, thanks for providing your insights on MIT's LGO program.

I am applying to the MIT LGO for 2011 entry and had some questions, if you wouldn't mind:

1. Does 70% subsidy include housing, food, textbook, etc. costs?
- no, just tuition

2. Are there anymore LGO Ambassador Days coming up shortly?
- no, but if you get selected for an interview, we will hold another information session at the end of january. PM me if you want to set up a visit some other time.

3. What reading would you recommend prior to starting the MIT LGO?
I would read whatever you are interested in since there are thousands of books, but classic operations books include The Goal, Journey to Lean and The Machine that Changed the World.

4. How hard is it to create an East-Asian internship for one of the partner companies? I heard the students are surveyed on their internship interests and then that feedback is discussed with partner companies.
- I believe we will have a few this internship season, but it is still too early to know for sure. If you are interested enough, you can join the internship committee and help develop internships with the companies. The whole program is very student run.

5. Could you potentially complete a full load of MBA electives and core classes while completing the LGO? Minor concern/ambition to exhaust my MBA course experience while accomplishing the Engineering MS requirements.
- You can take as many classes as you really want. A lot of students hit the max limit for # of courses they can take in Sloan and end up auditing or sitting in as a listener. Its really up to you how much time you want to put into classes etc...

6. Do you know of any MIT LGO's that obtained internships or post-LGO positions located in East-Asia (China, Korea, Japan, Singapore, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia, Cambodia, etc.)?
- Not too familiar since I am pursuing more local internships. Send me a message after Dec 1 and I should know better.

(An example of a job I'd like to obtain: GE Energy - based in Singapore, operations role serving satellite operations in neighboring countries - China, Korea, Japan, etc.)
- GE is not a partner company, but you are welcome to pursue any companies you want after graduation.

Thanks again!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Paul, Thank you for your answers to my many questions.

Here's another :) For anyone who is able and willing to address it.

I originally planned on opting for an Electrical Engineering masters due to my interest in Power/Energy (cleantech) and my undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering. I then found that the two tracks (Semiconductors, Information Sciences-CS) did not satisfy my interest in Energy/Power, so I decided that ESD's energy/sustainability track would be a better fit. My question is: if I opt for Electrical Engineering, can I create my own track separate from the Semi or CS tracks that are listed? If that is the case, and I can focus my classes on Power and Energy related electrical engineering courses, then I would like to consider the EE major once again.

Thank you, and I am considering a trip to MIT again to hopefully have a more LGO specific visit since I could not attend LGO's ambassador day due to a schedule conflict. Of course, I will be sure to confirm availability of a current LGO.

Cheers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:HBS, MIT, Kellogg
Send PM
Is it just me, or is apply-yourself lacking a cover letter/essay/resume upload link?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
hbsalias wrote:
Is it just me, or is apply-yourself lacking a cover letter/essay/resume upload link?

I believe you are on the introduce yourself to MIT LGO page. Please find the appropriate link here:
https://lgo.mit.edu/mba-admissions.html#eng

You will either be applying through an engineering program or through Sloan, so pick the correct link.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Manufacturing/Operations
Schools:MIT LGO
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
hbsalias wrote:

Hi hbsalias,

I agree that it is a little confusing. Once you login into Apply Yourself, click on "Application for Admission", there is a navigation bar on the left hand side, click on "LGO Applicants Only" if you scroll down in that screen you should find several sections that allow you to upload your cover letter, resume, and essays. This option may only come available to you after selecting "LGO" as the program to which you are applying in the "Application Information" section.

Hope that helps and good luck on your application!

-Ashleigh
Current Student
Send PM
oldskooldp wrote:
Paul, Thank you for your answers to my many questions.

Here's another :) For anyone who is able and willing to address it.

I originally planned on opting for an Electrical Engineering masters due to my interest in Power/Energy (cleantech) and my undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering. I then found that the two tracks (Semiconductors, Information Sciences-CS) did not satisfy my interest in Energy/Power, so I decided that ESD's energy/sustainability track would be a better fit. My question is: if I opt for Electrical Engineering, can I create my own track separate from the Semi or CS tracks that are listed? If that is the case, and I can focus my classes on Power and Energy related electrical engineering courses, then I would like to consider the EE major once again.

Thank you, and I am considering a trip to MIT again to hopefully have a more LGO specific visit since I could not attend LGO's ambassador day due to a schedule conflict. Of course, I will be sure to confirm availability of a current LGO.

Cheers

I would suggest not worrying about creating a track or trying to figure out anything like that before applying. I would, however, suggest picking the best major that fits with your story and what you want to work on. If you really want to do engineering, pick EECS. If engineering systems, then ESD. I will say that once you get in, MIT is an amazing place in the sense that you can really create your own plan and tailor classes to what you are interested in. I know students from the last two LGO classes have created new tracks and people are always open to it.

Good luck!
Director
Director
 Q50  V37
Send PM
I was wondering about the tracks too - so they don't hold us down to the track we mentioned in the application, we could switch after joining?

Can you also shed some light on the energy track within ESD mech an Civil, how they are different?
Thanks

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Send PM
Its hard to say because you have so much flexibility within the different majors. Two people could have very similar courses or completely different depending on what classes they chose to take. It varies a lot year to year as well depending on what is offered. Sorry I don't have a better answer, I'm just mostly familiar with ESD. I would suggest reaching out to some of my classmates who are blogging in the majors you are thinking about.

Most people stay with the major they choose when they apply, I wouldn't apply with the intention of switching when you start.
Director
Director
 Q50  V37
Send PM
Another related question - as far as the internships are concerned, does the engineering specialty chosen make any difference? In other words do the companies look at supply chains specialty versus say energy tracks in preferrring a candidate over another? Thanks

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Product Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg MMM (Ding), Sloan LGO, Wharton (Ding), Stern (Ding), Booth (Ding), Haas (R3)
 Q44  V41 GMAT 2: 660  Q47  V35
GPA: 2.73
WE 1: Sr Product Manager
WE 2: Product Manager
WE 3: Sales Engineer
Send PM
Hi Paul and Amil,
I was wondering if either of you could provide more information on the Systems Engineering track within the Engineering Systems Division. There doesn't seem to be much detail on the LGO or ESD website. What are the typical career goals for those pursuing this track? What are they typical backgrounds for those pursuing this track?

Thanks in advance,
-Daniel
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GTGal7 wrote:
hbsalias wrote:

Hi hbsalias,

I agree that it is a little confusing. Once you login into Apply Yourself, click on "Application for Admission", there is a navigation bar on the left hand side, click on "LGO Applicants Only" if you scroll down in that screen you should find several sections that allow you to upload your cover letter, resume, and essays. This option may only come available to you after selecting "LGO" as the program to which you are applying in the "Application Information" section.

Hope that helps and good luck on your application!

-Ashleigh

Thanks! Once I selected LGO as the program it worked.
Current Student
Send PM
d3miller wrote:
Hi Paul and Amil,
I was wondering if either of you could provide more information on the Systems Engineering track within the Engineering Systems Division. There doesn't seem to be much detail on the LGO or ESD website. What are the typical career goals for those pursuing this track? What are they typical backgrounds for those pursuing this track?

Thanks in advance,
-Daniel

I think this report from the website really puts the major in perspective:
https://esd.mit.edu/about/strategic-report.html
I would suggest searching around the website a little more, theres actually quite a bit one there.

In terms of typical, there is probably not any typical incoming student or outgoing for that matter. People who love the ESD curriculum would take jobs working on systems optimization problems, forecasting, supply chain planning, logistics, procurement, lean manufacturing, product development, service operations and anything really to do with operations. ESD is made up of a number of different programs including the Masters in Logistics, Masters in Supply Chain and System Design and Management program. You end up learning a lot from the different people in the program and classes also vary widely like I said before so you can tailor a program towards what you are interested in.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just wanted to revive this thread. What's you're take on LGO application strategy compared with applying to Sloan MBA only? Seems like LGO cares more about why MBA+MS and career goals. At ambassador day, a guy who works there mentioned something along the lines of "make sure you explain why MBA+MS and not just MBA". I mean really, how can you "explain" this?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  21