Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 09:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: MIT, UConn
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 5

2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2010, 15:03
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello,

My name is Paul and I am currently a first year student with the MIT Leaders for Global Operations program. I am starting this thread with my fellow classmate Amil (below) to help answer questions, familiarize you with the program and let you know what being a student is really like.

A little background on myself:
Graduated with a dual degree in industrial engineering and business from the University of Connecticut in 2007
Worked 1 year in the financial management program with GE
Worked two years in operations research with McKinsey & Company.
My academic interested include: operations, lean manufacturing, behavioral economics, change management

The best initial sources for information are the program website:
http://lgo.mit.edu

Additionally, I would check out the main program blog, student blogs (I actually write one) and alumni blogs:
http://lgo-blog.mit.edu/

To formally introduce yourself to LGO and receive event invites and other information:
https://inq.applyyourself.com/?id=mit-lgo&pid=1397

Follow us on Twitter and facebook:
http://twitter.com/MITlgo
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MIT-Leade ... 621?ref=ts

Let us know what questions you have or chat with other applicants!

MIT Leaders for Global Operations Fellow
Candidate for M.B.A., Sloan School of Management, June 2012
Candidate for M.S., Engineering Systems, MIT School of Engineering, June 2012
My LGO Student Blog

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Columbia, MIT
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [2] , given: 1

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 15:01
This post received
KUDOS
Andri-

Good question. The short answer is yes, it is intended to help me change careers away from finance.

While working at GS I definitely learned some valuable things about business that I wouldn't have if I had gone straight into a more technical career. I also got some valuable exposure to the energy industry (I worked in the Research division covering oil and natural gas companies). The thing that was missing for me is that I need to solve more tangible problems, which finance usually doesn't allow you to do.

When I thought back to undergrad, I really enjoyed my Operations Research (OR) classes, mainly because in OR there is a very strong connection between the theoretical stuff you learn inside the classroom and the application of the material to the real world. So I wanted to go back into it.

It was pretty easy to figure out that I could connect my new interest in the world of energy with my "roots" in engineering. I just needed a way to learn more about how to really tie the two together, and that's where LGO entered the picture for me (as of now I intend to pursue the Energy and Sustainability track).

There's definitely a wide variety of backgrounds in my class, which is one of the great things about the program. It's true that most people are coming from a operations or manufacturing role, but we do have a few people from finance and consulting as well.

Hope that all helps.

Amil

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 0

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2011, 11:16
This post received
KUDOS
just got the mail. got waitlisted. i wonder how many ppl were admitted off the waitlist last year.

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2010, 15:13
This post received
KUDOS
Hey everyone. My name is Amil and (as Paul said) I'm a first-year with the LGO program as well.

My background:
Graduated with a degree in Operations Research and Econ at Columbia in 2005
Worked for 5 years in finance at Goldman Sachs

We've been in Boston for a month and a half so far, and it's been great. We're trying to help spread the word about LGO as an option for those looking at business school and are interested in manufacturing or operations.

If you have any questions, post them here or check out some of the links that Paul posted..

-Amil

Last edited by aam2005 on 15 Jul 2010, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2010, 09:54
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks for the questions. I think the simple answer to both of your questions is that as an LGO, you are part of the full-time MBA class at Sloan and so have access to all of the courses offered at Sloan. You can focus on marketing, finance, etc. with your Sloan electives.

You'll have to choose one of the LGO tracks to follow. One thing to keep in mind is that the program is pretty flexible. Despite the fact that you have to satisfy requirements for both an MBA and MS, you get most of the required classes out of the way early on. After that you should be able to customize your course load to match your specific interests.

Hope that helps!

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 5

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2010, 15:06
This post received
KUDOS
warrak2000 wrote:
LGOstudent wrote:
warrak2000 wrote:
LGOstudent,

Would you plz confirm LGO tuition fees for 2 years? I can't believe that it's just 30k!!! check below:
http://lgo.mit.edu/program_costs.html

Thanks,

It should be somewhat close to that figure. I know for our class it will be about $34k, but it is always changing depending on what actual MIT tuition is. For example, we have no way of knowing the exact tuition for the 2011-2012 school year yet.

We receive a lot of financial support from partner companies and you can even get some of that tuition back if you end up working for one of those partners.

So why would someone pay 100k for Sloan MBA if he can get dual degree (MBA + MS) with 34k? Am I missing something here!!

Thanks,

I would agree that it is quite a good deal. However:
1. The program is very specialized. They are looking for people that are truly passionate about operations. The partner companies who invest in the program want to hire people to lead their organization in operations. Thus, the program looks exclusively for people that want to go into that space.
2. You need an engineering undergrad background or similar technical background that will enable you to take some of the more advanced engineering focused courses. For example, this summer we are taking a prob/stat and systems optimization class specifically designed for people with a strong engineering/technical background. This means on day one you need to have a pretty strong grasp of differentials, integrals etc...
3. Some people would rather go deeper into the other "tracks" that Sloan offers such as finance, entrepreneurship, marketing etc... Although you can explore these courses as an LGO, your options are not as flexible.

If this sounds up your alley, I hope you apply and good luck!

My LGO Student Blog

Last edited by LGOstudent on 25 Jul 2010, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: MIT
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2010, 15:07
This post received
KUDOS
warrak2000 wrote:
So why would someone pay 100k for Sloan MBA if he can get dual degree (MBA + MS) with 34k? Am I missing something here!!

Thanks,

I would recommend doing a fair amount of research here. I would say that LGO is definitely not for some people that are classic MBA applicants (or rather, I would say it's not for the majority of classic MBA applicants). In my understanding, LGO is for a very specific subset of MBA students. Just my thoughts - but I defer to any of the current students that, of course, know more about the program.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT Sloan Fellows (Admit)
WE 1: 5 Yrs - Global Outsoucing Operations
WE 2: 5.5 Yrs - Hospitality
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 6

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2010, 07:28
This post received
KUDOS
I had the same query and contacted the Adm Office at MIT. This is the response that i got from Leah who is the Admissions Coordinator for LGO. Hope this helps.
--------

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in the MIT Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) program. Leaders for Global Operations students learn to solve challenging operations problems by developing knowledge at the intersection of engineering and management. Our dual-degree program awards an MBA or a Master of Science from MIT Sloan School of Management and a Master of Science from MIT School of Engineering. The two-year LGO experience features a cross-disciplinary curriculum, a global orientation, significant internship opportunities, and an emphasis on leadership and teamwork. Our partner companies play a critical role in all facets of the program and provide generous fellowships for LGO students. ‘

In response to your question, the reason why the most competitive candidates for the LGO program have an undergraduate or graduate degree in engineering or science is because applicants need to satisfy admissions requirements of the MIT Sloan School of Management and a participating MIT engineering department. It is important that a student's academic history shows an ability to keep up with the rigorous requirements of the MIT engineering curriculum. Without a bachelor's degree or a master’s degree in engineering or science, chances of admission may be lower. If you feel that your transcripts reflect a strong record in math, science and/or engineering courses without an engineering or science degree, we encourage you to complete an application. With that being said, we do admit students with very diverse background. Each successful applicant clearly explains both why LGO would be the best next step toward furthering his or her educational and career goals, as well as how his or her current background (particularly in regard to technical ability and leadership experience) would contribute to the cohort's group dynamic. If you feel that the LGO program is right for you, we encourage you to complete an application.

To see an electronic copy of our brochure, visit: http://lgo.mit.edu/docs/lgo_brochure_12.pdf. To connect with current LGO students, I encourage you to visit our student blogs: http://lgo-blog.mit.edu/. You can also join us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, or find us LinkedIn.

I hope this helps you clarify. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Best regards,

Leah

smjank826 wrote:
Hello,

Thank you for starting this thread. My question is regarding Operations outside of the LGO program. I understand MIT has a strong reputation in Ops (ranked #1 in US News), but is this because of LGO? I would like to study Operations (specifically in manufacturing and supply chain) at MIT, but cannot do so at LGO because I do not have an engineering undergrad degree. Would I still get a quality education in Operations Management from the regular Sloan program?

Thank you.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2010, 21:23
This post received
KUDOS
RallyNY-

I honestly don't know whether the majority of people got academic recommendations or not, or how these are viewed versus non-academic recommendations. I ended up reaching out to a former professor, but mainly because I worked in finance so it was the only option. It seems to me like you'd be better off getting one from a colleague.

That said, a couple of things I learned while going through the whole business school application process, both from my experience and talking to others- one, professors have really good memories; two, professors are usually pretty open to writing recommendations even if you haven't kept in touch. I think it's pretty normal to approach a professor for something like this, especially if you have the chance to talk to him or her about why you're applying and how your prior academic background (including maybe their class) fits in.

Not sure if that is helpful or not.

-Amil

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 5

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 15:14
This post received
KUDOS
hbsalias wrote:
Is it just me, or is apply-yourself lacking a cover letter/essay/resume upload link?

I believe you are on the introduce yourself to MIT LGO page. Please find the appropriate link here:
http://lgo.mit.edu/mba-admissions.html#eng

You will either be applying through an engineering program or through Sloan, so pick the correct link.

My LGO Student Blog

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT LGO

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 10:39
This post received
KUDOS
zult1 wrote:
GTGal7 wrote:
I'm glad I'm not alone in my inability to concentrate at work today, the obsessive email/blackberry checking every 5 minutes and my stomach dropping every time someone replies to this thread and I get an email with LGO in the subject line. Glad to know there are others just as crazy and nervous as I am! hahaha

Seriously... I can't stand it anymore, ahhhhhh :shock:

Sorry, that probably just sent another e-mail to your inbox...

btw, would the GT happen to stand for Georgia Tech? If so, Go Jackets! :-D

It does! My husband (also a GT grad) jokes that if I end up getting in/going to school at MIT he will make and wear a shirt saying "MIT - the Georgia Tech of the North". hahaha- so terrible!

Are you a Tech grad as well?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations
WE: Operations (Transportation)

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 9

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 04:27
This post received
KUDOS
SK84, it seems that the number of international applicants has been increasing in the past years. This year there were about 5 internationals while the year before that only about 3. While you can morally sink yourself by reading and reading statistics, you have to realize that someone will actually get one of those spots and it could be you. If every international applicant simply put off applying to the program because of their international status, then it would be way easier for the rest to get in, but there are some smart applicants who understand that if you dont apply, then for sure you will not get in. You did the right thing in applying for LGO regardless of your status and who knows, it seems that Jane Deutsh is changing the rules of the game, its already friday and no invites have gone out, and she also answered this question in an email sent around Dec 1 specifying that "all applications are carefully reviewed regardless of wether they are international or not." She did not say that internationals had less chance, while her predecessor did say that internationals had less chance.

Dont be discouraged, if your application was strong, you answered all the questions thoughtgully, carefully and you show that you have something to contribute to the LGO program, you will get in. Dont worry too much about that detail. The rebranding of the LGO program from LFM was only last year and the program saw an increased number of internationals. Perhaphs increasing the number of internationals is part of the rebranding.

Best of luck SK84, and you made the right choice in submitting your application if this program is what you want and desire.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 19:19
This post received
KUDOS
Hey, yes I am an international. My horrible english gives me up I guess haha. I know this info because current international students at the LGO explained it to me. It is normal not to get a call for interviewfest if you are an international. Instead you may get a call for interview on the day after interviewfest is done. Don't worry too much about not getting the invite today. Last year, I believe that only a girl from Israel received an invitation on the day equivalent to today from last year. She also received the invitation by post mail not email. Check the LGO thread from last year as well. You will see that internationals got calls on late january. Its perfectly normal, don't worry about it too much if you are an international. Get some sleep and wait for it because it will come late in january. Cheers and good luck guys. Also I think that even though you are invited late in january they also give you the option of interviewing on interviewfest if you can make it there.

1 KUDOS received
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 51 [1] , given: 74998

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 01:46
This post received
KUDOS
By my count there was just 1 international student (not a US citizen or permanent resident) who flew in from London who was there on Friday. I do not know about Monday. Best of luck.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2011, 09:09
This post received
KUDOS
she said the following:

"Thank you for your email. Many of the interviews have been held already, including interviews with international candidates, however invitations may be extended up until our notification date of March 7th. At this time, I cannot say how many more invitations will be extended to either domestic or international applicants. All official decisions will go out by March 7th, 2011. We appreciate your patience."
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 15:19
This post received
KUDOS
To all international applicants... I have news!!! First of all, thank you all for all your comments and support. I love you all guys!!! I have been looking for information in this post since my boyfriend applied to the LGO on december 14th, he is an international candidate (without green card, he doesn´t live in United States) and with the same background as yours. Anyway I have followed all your posts and let me tell you that I have suffered the same as you in this admission process. My future also depends on the LGO decision because if my boyfriend gets accepted to the program, we are going to get married :-) Anyway here is the good new: he received an invitation three or four hours ago. So don´t loose your faith. Remember deadline is March 7th, so don´t worry because everything is going to be fine. Invitations are coming to internationals :-)

PS. To Fsaq, If I were in the admissions committee I would choose because you have demonstrated so much interest in LGO :-)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2011, 08:25
This post received
KUDOS
Kevin07 wrote:
Thrive wrote:
Gurakshun, sorry to hear about the applyweb email :(

I have gotten no word yet either from LGO or applyweb so am still waiting in limbo.

Guys, I applied through the School of Engineering to the LGO Program. Based on Gurakshan's message, I checked the ApplyWeb (Review Activity) status and it simply states: Payment accepted, data sent, received, and confirmed.

The interesting part for folks who have applied through the School of Engineering is that if not accepted by LGO, some Engineering departments will consider them for the SM program but others may not. Jane Deutsch mentioned that in one of her articles dated November 16, 2010 on the LGO Blogs.

Wishing everyone the very best as the next few days unfold!

Best of luck to everyone!!!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2011, 10:32
This post received
KUDOS
anyone got a call?

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT LGO or bust
WE 1: Energy

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2011, 11:18
This post received
KUDOS
lula, what e-mail are you referring to? Did it come from LGO directly? It's stange that they send waitlists out this early...., especially since we haven't even heard of a call either?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 2

Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2011, 11:26
This post received
KUDOS
Lula - Was it something that came via snail mail?
Re: 2011 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) thread   [#permalink] 05 Mar 2011, 11:26