Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 15:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2012-13 Laptop Discussion

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 614

Kudos [?]: 2415 [0], given: 738

Re: 2012-13 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2013, 00:11
Expert's post
Just my opinion but the MBA 2013 resolution is great. And honestly, if you configure it to contain a core i7 and 8 gigs of RAM and it will be better than the current MBPs with 13" display.
I am not a huge fan of retina. I would rather have a smaller footprint

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 4

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: 2012-13 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 15:50
In my experience, those with Apple computers generally had problems with Microsoft Office applications.

Just my opinion, but I think it's better to go with Windows for two years just to avoid those headaches.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 2012-13 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2013, 16:36
The best experience I can convey is that once I landed in London to find out my 5 year old Mac's HD had died. I was able to take it into an Apple store in London, and they fixed my American computer for free and rushed it as I had told them I had to leave by this date and was going to use it for a DJ set. My sister, who owned a Toshiba whose motherboard failed within 2 years (so it was under warranty) had to drop it off at a local computer repair office suggested by Toshiba, and then they had to mail it in over the course of weeks to fix. The best thing about Apple products is that it's all from one company, and thus potential troubleshooting is significantly simpler.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sauder '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 21

Re: 2012-13 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2013, 18:53
Anyone getting the new MacBook Pros (late-2013)?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 40

Re: 2012-13 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2013, 14:03
I don't know if should be considered a perfect substitute for a laptop, but I have a Microsoft Surface RT and absolutely love it.

Unlike most tablets, it is fully compatible with Microsoft Office, and its battery life is amazing. I recently took a financial statement analysis class and a financial risk management class as part of my alternative transcript, and I was able to successfully use the Surface throughout every step of the way, including some pretty beefy financial valuations.

Being able to just hand a tablet to someone else in a group project to show them your excel / ppt is pretty darn cool.

I don't think it's a perfect substitute for a laptop, but as far as tablets go, it's the best one for business school IMO.
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 5

Re: 2012-13 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2013, 18:32
The new Thinkpad T440s is pretty awesome if you're a Windows fan. Great bang for the buck as well.
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/th ... ies/t440s/

From Bench to Board: My transition from a non-traditional background into business

Follow @StevenMaBio on Twitter

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: 2012-13 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2013, 19:25
stevenfuqua wrote:
The new Thinkpad T440s is pretty awesome if you're a Windows fan. Great bang for the buck as well.

I second that! T440s is great!
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 550 Q30 V36
GMAT 2: 660 Q41 V40
GMAT 3: 670 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.27
WE: Corporate Finance (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 70

Reviews Badge
Re: 2012-13 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2013, 13:01
dave785 wrote:
I don't know if should be considered a perfect substitute for a laptop, but I have a Microsoft Surface RT and absolutely love it.

Unlike most tablets, it is fully compatible with Microsoft Office, and its battery life is amazing. I recently took a financial statement analysis class and a financial risk management class as part of my alternative transcript, and I was able to successfully use the Surface throughout every step of the way, including some pretty beefy financial valuations.

Being able to just hand a tablet to someone else in a group project to show them your excel / ppt is pretty darn cool.

I don't think it's a perfect substitute for a laptop, but as far as tablets go, it's the best one for business school IMO.

I'm planning on getting the Surface 2 Pro for grad school. The laptop/tablet aspect of it is very appealing to me. I'll be able to do all the stuff I'd do on my PC but also would have the option to just use it as a tablet. Seems that the battery life of the 2 pro is pretty good (as in good enough to go from 8a-5pm on one charge).

Have you run into any problems with your surface or things I should be aware of before making the purchase? The 2 Pro is pretty expensive but it really seems awesome.

"You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." - Walt Disney

VP
VP
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 441 [0], given: 449

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 2012-13 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2013, 14:15
RyanCJW wrote:
dave785 wrote:

I'm planning on getting the Surface 2 Pro for grad school. The laptop/tablet aspect of it is very appealing to me. I'll be able to do all the stuff I'd do on my PC but also would have the option to just use it as a tablet. Seems that the battery life of the 2 pro is pretty good (as in good enough to go from 8a-5pm on one charge). Have you run into any problems with your surface or things I should be aware of before making the purchase? The 2 Pro is pretty expensive but it really seems awesome.

I was about to buy Surface when its price was slashed to $199, recently. Couldn't get it because of some logistical issues. Pro can easily get you through the day on one charge.

The only thing that bothered me (even at that price point) was the Win app store. There are just not enough quality apps. But, again, if your purpose is to work on B-school stuff, that shouldn't be much of a problem.

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Intern
Intern

Re: 2012-13 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2013, 13:49
Just bought a Thinkpad Yoga. Not the cheapest, but it has an excellent keyboard and trackpad, a great screen and a solid metal case. Also, it's thin, light and converts into a tablet. I got the Core i7, 256 SSD, 8Gb build.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2012-13 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2013, 19:18
stevenfuqua wrote:

I actually bought a new Thinkpad T440p during black friday through an employee discount. Was able to get Intel Core i5-4330M with decent graphics card and 1600x900 resolution. Kept the harddrive and ram to the bare minimum and purchased 2 sticks of 8 GB laptop ram for $100 and 240 gb SSD drive for $110. Total with the after market upgrades came to $1300. Will weigh around 4.5 lbs, have 9 cell battery and have a decently slim form factor at 1.1inches thick according to specs.

I plan to do development work on the machine so I wanted it decently powerful. For MBA specific stuff its a bit much. I havn't used it yet, its still shipping (FYI, shipping from Lenovo takes forever).
Intern
Intern

Re: 2012-13 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2014, 06:54
Excel on Mac is exactly the same.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.85
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 2012-13 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 02:05
srangra wrote:
Excel on Mac is exactly the same.

I have been working on OS X for the past 5 years (Macbook Pro) and using Lenovo T430 from my office. I must say Excel for Windows is extremely superior interms of intuitiveness and features.

Mac may be having same features but things are very slow - and powerful addons such as PowerPivot (used for relational tables to be used for pivot table) are not available. I'm an apple fan but still when I need to use any Office tool, I start my VMware or use my office laptop.

Even I'm completely split about which laptop to buy. My current Macbook Pro had been upgraded to include one of the fastest SSDs and is still extremely fast, but its 3 years old. Not sure, if I should buy Macbook Air 13/Retina Macbook 13 or buy a Lenovo X1 to avoid any goof-up.

Hoping my confusion would be over once the haswell-powered X1 carbon is released this year. (And hoping the upcoming summer refresh of macbook air is not tempting)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GPA: 2.47
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 11

Re: 2012-13 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2014, 11:45
NR91, I have a 2011 macbook pro with an SSD and a bunch of RAM, not worth upgrading when you have a perfectly serviceable machine. Like you I run both win/osX but i use boot camp instead of VMware.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

2012-13 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2014, 23:55
I use a MacBook Air and in current it runs fine..
The 2012 MacBook Air no longer stands as the coolest Mac laptop: that crown has been temporarily stolen by the Retina Display MacBook Pro. Nor is it as unusual. However, it still remains the best example of an ultrathin laptop -- for its construction quality, performance, and ergonomics.
App Promotion Websites
2012-13 Laptop Discussion   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2014, 23:55