Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 00:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2012-13 Laptop Discussion

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Booth-bound!
Joined: 12 Jul 2011
Posts: 128
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
GPA: 3.82
WE: Business Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 41

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 2012-13 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 13:28
DMNY31 wrote:
So I deperately need a new laptop, however I have yet to decide on a program for the fall.

Assuming I buy a new PC with good specs, is there any reason I should wait to hear from the programs on computing details? Do some schools offer discounts on certain progams (Office, adobe, etc) to save me some money?


You should check the computer situation for each school you're considering. All Tuckies use the same ThinkPad. I think the school gets a massive deal on it. If none of your prospective schools has a situation like that, you should be able to purchase hardware (the laptop itself) without worry. But I'd hold off on software, as others have suggested.
_________________

My GMAT debrief

Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1252
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 414 [0], given: 245

Premium Member
Re: 2012-13 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 14:22
Expert's post
NonYankee wrote:
DMNY31 wrote:
So I deperately need a new laptop, however I have yet to decide on a program for the fall.

Assuming I buy a new PC with good specs, is there any reason I should wait to hear from the programs on computing details? Do some schools offer discounts on certain progams (Office, adobe, etc) to save me some money?


You should check the computer situation for each school you're considering. All Tuckies use the same ThinkPad. I think the school gets a massive deal on it. If none of your prospective schools has a situation like that, you should be able to purchase hardware (the laptop itself) without worry. But I'd hold off on software, as others have suggested.


Everyone at Yale gets the same computer too. Agree with all of the above -- just adding on to the seemingly short list of schools that include computers with tuition
_________________

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2013
Posts: 28
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: 2012-13 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2013, 08:31
highwyre237 wrote:
RoyHalladay wrote:
I'm leaning towards an ultrabook (Lenovo/Asus/Sony). Really digging the portability and battery life. Only downside is the missing optical drive. Will this be a problem or should I suck it up and get a regular laptop?


Same here, but I agree with BB. You'll need an optical drive maybe once per semester. Maybe we can get some classmates to split the price of a usb dvd drive and share?

OR, maybe someone would be nice enough to rip the image and put it on a usb for us...

Either way, if its a hassle once a semester or not, I think its worth the portability and extra battery life.



Your school's computer/tech store/wherever you go to service your computer might also have one that you can borrow at the counter.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Posts: 145
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: 2012-13 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2013, 07:29
I played around with Windows 8 the other day. Seems a little too gimicky and looks like its better suited for tablets (it was on a touch screen laptop, though).

Anyone have arguments for W8 over W7?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2013
Posts: 28
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: 2012-13 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2013, 07:40
RoyHalladay wrote:
I played around with Windows 8 the other day. Seems a little too gimicky and looks like its better suited for tablets (it was on a touch screen laptop, though).

Anyone have arguments for W8 over W7?



Have you checked your school's tech requirements? Mine wants us to W7 professional, not W8, so that makes the decision easy for me.

But in my experience, it seems like the only thing W8 has going for it is that it's a quicker OS. Plus, there's a learning curve that goes along with it.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 May 2010
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: 2012-13 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2013, 00:27
A lot of people say MS office is fine on MAC but I have to say that I constantly run into small things that make all the difference... (ie excel doesnt work as well in MAC, compatibility issues)
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Posts: 27
Location: United Arab Emirates
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: 2012-13 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 02:04
For those of us who are considering using a Mac during the course, I have a suggestion. I use the Mac for my personal use, but my office has a Windows-only setup. What I've found is that while the Mac is a brilliant platform, and the hardware is simply top-tier, the MS Office suite on Windows is years ahead of the Mac version. Especially if you're an advanced user and would consider using VBA within the suite, then forget about it. I am planning to use an Air along with Parallels just to be able to use the Windows version of the Office suite.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 17 Mar 2011
Posts: 453
Location: United States (DC)
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 152 [1] , given: 5

Re: 2012-13 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 09:43
1
This post received
KUDOS
highwyre237 wrote:
RoyHalladay wrote:
I'm leaning towards an ultrabook (Lenovo/Asus/Sony). Really digging the portability and battery life. Only downside is the missing optical drive. Will this be a problem or should I suck it up and get a regular laptop?


Same here, but I agree with BB. You'll need an optical drive maybe once per semester. Maybe we can get some classmates to split the price of a usb dvd drive and share?

OR, maybe someone would be nice enough to rip the image and put it on a usb for us...

Either way, if its a hassle once a semester or not, I think its worth the portability and extra battery life.


Will your new laptop be your only computer at school? I know that I'll have a couple desktops and probably my old laptop, so I'll easily be able to manage using a primary laptop without an optical drive.

It's also astoundingly cheap to get a usb optical drive:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... ical+drive

I don't think you should limit your laptop choices based on whether they have an optical drive or not.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 26 May 2010
Posts: 694
Location: United States (MA)
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 628

Premium Member
Re: 2012-13 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 14:51
jko wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:
RoyHalladay wrote:
I'm leaning towards an ultrabook (Lenovo/Asus/Sony). Really digging the portability and battery life. Only downside is the missing optical drive. Will this be a problem or should I suck it up and get a regular laptop?


Same here, but I agree with BB. You'll need an optical drive maybe once per semester. Maybe we can get some classmates to split the price of a usb dvd drive and share?

OR, maybe someone would be nice enough to rip the image and put it on a usb for us...

Either way, if its a hassle once a semester or not, I think its worth the portability and extra battery life.


Will your new laptop be your only computer at school? I know that I'll have a couple desktops and probably my old laptop, so I'll easily be able to manage using a primary laptop without an optical drive.

It's also astoundingly cheap to get a usb optical drive:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... ical+drive

I don't think you should limit your laptop choices based on whether they have an optical drive or not.

Good tip. And, to everyone, I changed my mind and decided to get a Windows laptop after all rather than struggle with Boot Camp or Parallels. For what it's worth, I ordered a Lenovo X230. It should be here tomorrow, so I can post my thoughts after a few weeks if folks are interested.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Posts: 145
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: 2012-13 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 18:17
kingfalcon wrote:
Good tip. And, to everyone, I changed my mind and decided to get a Windows laptop after all rather than struggle with Boot Camp or Parallels. For what it's worth, I ordered a Lenovo X230. It should be here tomorrow, so I can post my thoughts after a few weeks if folks are interested.



Awesome, please do. Did you get W8 or W7? Seems like online reviews are weak for W8.

Also, that 12.5 inch IPS screen will be sweet. Getting a secondary display for home?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Jan 2012
Posts: 5
Location: Canada
Schools: University of Calgary - Haskayne - Class of 2014
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: 2012-13 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 19:09
1
This post received
KUDOS
Tip (I'm just finishing up first year, and went through this just last September): get a non-Mac that's light and portable. If you can, get one with the number pad on the side-especially if it's your primary computer. You'll be doing lots of computing and the number pad helps save time and frustration. Also get one that can be hooked up to a screen via the port on the side. You (and the groups you'll have to work with in breakout rooms with screens) will thank me later ;) The non-Mac recommendation was only due to one piece of software that we used for Decision Modeling that wasn't available on Mac. The entire course was based on the software (Risk Solver) and we were tested on it too, so the students with Macs had to spend a bunch of time in the computer lab learning/using the software for assignments. Not the end of the world, but less convenient.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 28
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 12

Re: 2012-13 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2013, 22:35
I read that many people here prefer to use the Thinkpad. Any particular reason why? To me personally, IBM's laptops or ultrabooks do not look attractive. Although I haven't tried using it.

I'm thinking more on the Samsung ultrabook Series 5 (or maybe if my budget allows, Series 9). Does anyone have a thought on this?

Thanks!
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Posts: 145
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: 2012-13 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2013, 05:59
stewartlife wrote:
I read that many people here prefer to use the Thinkpad. Any particular reason why? To me personally, IBM's laptops or ultrabooks do not look attractive. Although I haven't tried using it.

I'm thinking more on the Samsung ultrabook Series 5 (or maybe if my budget allows, Series 9). Does anyone have a thought on this?

Thanks!


In my opinion, Thinkpads are top of the line. I've been using them for a few years (work laptop) and they are reliable. many large companys and firms solely use Thinkpads partly for this reason. I agree that the level of esthetics isn't up to the level of the Samsung ultrabooks or Macbooks, but these are of the "I'm all business, no games" genre of laptop.

With that said, I'm seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on a Thinkpad X series this week.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 26 May 2010
Posts: 694
Location: United States (MA)
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 628

Premium Member
Re: 2012-13 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2013, 06:54
RoyHalladay wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:
Good tip. And, to everyone, I changed my mind and decided to get a Windows laptop after all rather than struggle with Boot Camp or Parallels. For what it's worth, I ordered a Lenovo X230. It should be here tomorrow, so I can post my thoughts after a few weeks if folks are interested.



Awesome, please do. Did you get W8 or W7? Seems like online reviews are weak for W8.

Also, that 12.5 inch IPS screen will be sweet. Getting a secondary display for home?

I'll definitely keep you posted. I decided to go with W7. Personally, I haven't been convinced of the utility of W8 for non-touch devices. Plus, I'd rather not have to deal with learning a new OS with everything else going on. Based on reviews online, I opted to pay the $50 extra for the IPS panel; it definitely sounds like it will be worth it!

Up until this point, I haven't thought too much about getting a secondary display for home. My initial thought is no since I've been using a 13" MBP for a few years now, but I suppose you're right... detailed Excel and Powerpoint work does get frustrating on a small display.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 26 May 2010
Posts: 694
Location: United States (MA)
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 628

Premium Member
Re: 2012-13 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2013, 07:02
stewartlife wrote:
I read that many people here prefer to use the Thinkpad. Any particular reason why? To me personally, IBM's laptops or ultrabooks do not look attractive. Although I haven't tried using it.

I'm thinking more on the Samsung ultrabook Series 5 (or maybe if my budget allows, Series 9). Does anyone have a thought on this?

Thanks!

I actually like the utilitarian look of the ThinkPad. That said, the most important factors for me in choosing a computer were performance, reliability, and battery life. ThinkPads always review well and, as RoyHalladay mentioned, are often the laptop of choice for most corporations.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 09 Nov 2012
Posts: 12
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
WE: Operations (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: 2012-13 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2013, 21:27
RoyHalladay wrote:
stewartlife wrote:
I read that many people here prefer to use the Thinkpad. Any particular reason why? To me personally, IBM's laptops or ultrabooks do not look attractive. Although I haven't tried using it.

I'm thinking more on the Samsung ultrabook Series 5 (or maybe if my budget allows, Series 9). Does anyone have a thought on this?

Thanks!


In my opinion, Thinkpads are top of the line. I've been using them for a few years (work laptop) and they are reliable. many large companys and firms solely use Thinkpads partly for this reason. I agree that the level of esthetics isn't up to the level of the Samsung ultrabooks or Macbooks, but these are of the "I'm all business, no games" genre of laptop.

With that said, I'm seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on a Thinkpad X series this week.


What do you think of the Lenovo Helix? I was initially planning on getting the x230t but now think I'm going to go with the Helix instead...
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Posts: 145
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: 2012-13 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 18:55
jbm2278 wrote:
RoyHalladay wrote:
stewartlife wrote:
I read that many people here prefer to use the Thinkpad. Any particular reason why? To me personally, IBM's laptops or ultrabooks do not look attractive. Although I haven't tried using it.

I'm thinking more on the Samsung ultrabook Series 5 (or maybe if my budget allows, Series 9). Does anyone have a thought on this?

Thanks!


In my opinion, Thinkpads are top of the line. I've been using them for a few years (work laptop) and they are reliable. many large companys and firms solely use Thinkpads partly for this reason. I agree that the level of esthetics isn't up to the level of the Samsung ultrabooks or Macbooks, but these are of the "I'm all business, no games" genre of laptop.

With that said, I'm seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on a Thinkpad X series this week.


What do you think of the Lenovo Helix? I was initially planning on getting the x230t but now think I'm going to go with the Helix instead...


Its definitely a sweet machine...but not worth the price IMO.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 28
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 12

Re: 2012-13 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 01:39
Can anyone comment on which processor would be enough: i5 or i7?

And how much disk space will be enough? For example, macbook air and many ultrabooks now use SSD. But the price for SSD is really high. Is 128GB enough? Or do we have to have at least 256GB?

Also, what about the screen size? Assuming that there will be no monitor to plug in to. I see that the IBM Thinkpad X series has 12.5" screen. Is that enough? I'm thinking of maybe getting a 13" screen. But I definitely don't want 14", as it seemed to big and will be too heavy.
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
User avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 1742
Location: India
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 691

Kudos [?]: 3037 [0], given: 890

Re: 2012-13 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 02:39
Expert's post
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Posts: 1101
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 448 [0], given: 454

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 2012-13 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 07:32
can someone come up with a 13" inch convertible decently priced ultrabook already!

btw, is it just me or anyone else feels Mac Pro's 13" is bigger than the rest of them :)
Re: 2012-13 Laptop Discussion   [#permalink] 24 Apr 2013, 07:32
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic 2014-2015 Laptop Discussion speedyb09 31 06 May 2014, 08:00
1 2013-14 Laptop discussion Agentfish36 16 24 Jun 2013, 07:28
5 Experts publish their posts in the topic 2011 Laptop discussion malbec 37 11 May 2011, 05:50
16 Experts publish their posts in the topic 2010 Laptop discussion 2012dreams 173 15 Mar 2010, 11:59
19 Experts publish their posts in the topic The great Laptop discussion forum westsider 591 19 Mar 2008, 12:42
Display posts from previous: Sort by

2012-13 Laptop Discussion

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6    Next  [ 115 posts ] 

Moderator: threestripes



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.