Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 06:42

Starting Soon:

Live Q&A Session with Cambridge Admissions Team   ||    Join Chat Room to Attend the Session

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2012/2013 Chem Engineer Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
2012/2013 Chem Engineer Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 21:45
If you get a moment, could you please share your input on my profile and provide any feedback, I would greatly appreciate the help.

1. Experience 3-on years and an internship:
    • Internship at a top 10 private US engineering firm
    • 3 - On yrs at a F500 chemical manufacturing/process company (operations):
      o First two years of my experience here has been a wide range of tasks. Essentially, allocated to a set of chemical plants performing daily process optimizations and cost savings projects (totaling >$1M). Also, any day to day technical support for operations to maintain on-stream of plants.
      o Next two years have a lot of the first two years tasks but with the addition of multiple capital projects (totaling >$1M), from concept development through scope definition, detailed engineering, construction, and startup. This includes, managing projects with engineering, vendors, contractors, and other counterparts. Also, I have mentored handful of university students and now full time engineer.

2. GMAT - 700

26 (at time of matriculation), Male, Asian-American
    English (Main language), Korean (Proficient)
    B.S. Chemical Engineering at University of MO – Cum Laude, 3.33/4.0
    (Not sure if my gpa is low enough to have an explanation, but if it is, as a second generation Asian American, I worked every weekend at our family business, round trip from school to work and back roughly 300 miles. Worked every weekend for the first 2 years, then every other weekend last 2 years due to heavier school work load)

4. Extracurricular activities:
    • I am involved in a chemical safety group that plans a chemical safety seminar for the chemical we produce.
    • Volunteer programs to mentor elementary students, Habitat for Humanity, Member/volunteer at Presbyterian Church
    • Competitive soccer player/referee/coach in the NTSSA/GLSA
    • Formed team & placed first in the Industrial Basketball League
    • Formed team & competed in the Trap & Skeet League
    • Lived and worked on west coast states and mid-west states with international travels

5. Passed Fundamentals Engineering Exam
    Six Sigma Greenbelt Trained

6. Target programs:
    • Wharton or MIT – I really like Wharton, but the Boston area appeals to me more. Not sure being an engineer makes it harder for me at MIT. However, I am researching the two programs more in detail to see if I see a fit into the program.
    • Booth GSB or NW – I prefer Booth, biased because of the great visit, and I really like the Chicago area. Plus closer to family makes me want to apply to both Chicago programs. However, I enjoyed the Booth GSB visit more than the NW visit. I feel I can relate to the Booth GSB mentality of academic difficulty through what I experienced with my undergrad, but I like the collaborative culture at NW as well.
    • UC Berk. Haas – Technology entrepreneurial is of interest
    • Columbia – Finance powerhouse and the NYC plug in

Please feel free to inform me if my profile is not strong enough for the above listed programs. I want to apply with a realistic goals and possible acceptance into a program. If the above list is too much of a reach, then I will research other programs such as Stern, UCLA, and UT Austin-McCombs.

7. When I first sought interest in business school, it was due to the entrepreneurial route; however, in the past 3 years I have been heavily involved with certain aspect of retail trading which sparked my interest in trading.

I want to narrow it down to 4 realistic programs before I apply based on my profile. Do you recommend this approach and do you recommend any other programs? If my profile in it’s entirely is not possible for the beforehand mentioned schools, please feel free to comment and if you would provide any further input. Thank you in advance for reading this long post.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2012/2013 Chem Engineer Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2011, 04:02
Expert's post
89nk wrote:
If you get a moment, could you please share your input on my profile and provide any feedback, I would greatly appreciate the help.

1. Experience 3-on years and an internship:
    • Internship at a top 10 private US engineering firm
    • 3 - On yrs at a F500 chemical manufacturing/process company (operations):
      o First two years of my experience here has been a wide range of tasks. Essentially, allocated to a set of chemical plants performing daily process optimizations and cost savings projects (totaling >$1M). Also, any day to day technical support for operations to maintain on-stream of plants.
      o Next two years have a lot of the first two years tasks but with the addition of multiple capital projects (totaling >$1M), from concept development through scope definition, detailed engineering, construction, and startup. This includes, managing projects with engineering, vendors, contractors, and other counterparts. Also, I have mentored handful of university students and now full time engineer.

2. GMAT - 700

26 (at time of matriculation), Male, Asian-American
    English (Main language), Korean (Proficient)
    B.S. Chemical Engineering at University of MO – Cum Laude, 3.33/4.0
    (Not sure if my gpa is low enough to have an explanation, but if it is, as a second generation Asian American, I worked every weekend at our family business, round trip from school to work and back roughly 300 miles. Worked every weekend for the first 2 years, then every other weekend last 2 years due to heavier school work load)

4. Extracurricular activities:
    • I am involved in a chemical safety group that plans a chemical safety seminar for the chemical we produce.
    • Volunteer programs to mentor elementary students, Habitat for Humanity, Member/volunteer at Presbyterian Church
    • Competitive soccer player/referee/coach in the NTSSA/GLSA
    • Formed team & placed first in the Industrial Basketball League
    • Formed team & competed in the Trap & Skeet League
    • Lived and worked on west coast states and mid-west states with international travels

5. Passed Fundamentals Engineering Exam
    Six Sigma Greenbelt Trained

6. Target programs:
    • Wharton or MIT – I really like Wharton, but the Boston area appeals to me more. Not sure being an engineer makes it harder for me at MIT. However, I am researching the two programs more in detail to see if I see a fit into the program.
    • Booth GSB or NW – I prefer Booth, biased because of the great visit, and I really like the Chicago area. Plus closer to family makes me want to apply to both Chicago programs. However, I enjoyed the Booth GSB visit more than the NW visit. I feel I can relate to the Booth GSB mentality of academic difficulty through what I experienced with my undergrad, but I like the collaborative culture at NW as well.
    • UC Berk. Haas – Technology entrepreneurial is of interest
    • Columbia – Finance powerhouse and the NYC plug in

Please feel free to inform me if my profile is not strong enough for the above listed programs. I want to apply with a realistic goals and possible acceptance into a program. If the above list is too much of a reach, then I will research other programs such as Stern, UCLA, and UT Austin-McCombs.

7. When I first sought interest in business school, it was due to the entrepreneurial route; however, in the past 3 years I have been heavily involved with certain aspect of retail trading which sparked my interest in trading.

I want to narrow it down to 4 realistic programs before I apply based on my profile. Do you recommend this approach and do you recommend any other programs? If my profile in it’s entirely is not possible for the beforehand mentioned schools, please feel free to comment and if you would provide any further input. Thank you in advance for reading this long post.

Your GPA and GMAT are middle of the road, so you're going to need to have very impressive leadership and impact examples to impress the likes of the top programs you are targeting. Being a chemical engineer is somewhat differentiating though, so be sure to highlight how this insight and experience will be essential to your career goals and the recruiters who will hire you. I would definitely recommend applying to the broader list of programs and not just those top 4.

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog