Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 03:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2012 Columbia Essays Analyzed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: 2012 Columbia Essays Analyzed [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 19:55
Expert's post
By the time you get to Essay 3, the answer is "it depends." It depends on what you write about in Essay 2, where you are weak in your application, how much you can afford to focus on building communities, and so on and so forth. Not to be evasive, but the answer to your question usually comes after a significant amount of time between consultant and client.

All of that said, I would NOT focus on showcasing an understanding of the cluster system. Make your speech about you.

Best,
-PL

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 2012 Columbia Essays Analyzed [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 21:29
Thanks Paul, I see your point. It helps~~

PaulLanzillotti wrote:
By the time you get to Essay 3, the answer is "it depends." It depends on what you write about in Essay 2, where you are weak in your application, how much you can afford to focus on building communities, and so on and so forth. Not to be evasive, but the answer to your question usually comes after a significant amount of time between consultant and client.

All of that said, I would NOT focus on showcasing an understanding of the cluster system. Make your speech about you.

Best,
-PL
Expert Post

Re: 2012 Columbia Essays Analyzed [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2011, 19:58
Expert's post
No problem. Good luck!
-PL

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: 2012 Columbia Essays Analyzed [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2011, 12:23
Paul,

I am a reapplicant and I am starting the process now. I understand that Columbia requires only one essay for reapplicants. However, I no longer like my second essay from last year (re-visiting it after several months made me realized I could have written it better). Do you know if the school would allow applicants to (1) rewrite one essay from the previous year or (2) complete the new sets of essays in its entirety? If allowed, would you even recommend it?

Thanks.
Expert Post

Re: 2012 Columbia Essays Analyzed [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2011, 23:55
Expert's post
I do not believe CBS allows you to start fresh unless your prior application was more than a year ago. Essay #2 was ditched, so they obviously didn't like their own question as much or maybe more than you didn't like your answer.

The best you can probably do here is go back to the spirit of the question - what makes you *you* and then work that into your reapp essay. Allow yourself a paragraph of personal growth and this will allow you to have a redo at that whole subject.

Part of the whole challenge to a reapp essay at Columbia is how well you can work within the confines of the assignment - can you update, reflect, promote, and showcase all at once? It's not terribly easy, but there is ample opportunity to get the job done. Eyes forward is my advice.

-PL

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 2012 Columbia Essays Analyzed [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 02:18
Hi Paul,

Which part of the application material do you suggest us highlighting the "back up" plan for career goals? Should I do it in the optional essay?
CBS asks for the short-term goal within 200 characters. I feel that there is not sufficient space to talk about back-up plan here and having two short-term goals complicate essay 1 as I need to address how CBS helps me achieve both of my short-term goals.

Thanks!
Cheers,
David
Re: 2012 Columbia Essays Analyzed   [#permalink] 16 Dec 2011, 02:18