Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 04:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Columbia 2012 - admitted students

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.73
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Columbia 2012 - admitted students [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2012, 07:57
ftw2011 wrote:
Anyone know of or going to Columbia Challenge on 2/11?

I know about the connect event on the 10th, but what's the Challenge? I'll be in town that weekend...
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q V
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 7

Re: Columbia 2012 - admitted students [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2012, 08:07
I never turn down a challenge.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 7

Re: Columbia 2012 - admitted students [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2012, 09:49
This post received
KUDOS
ksk80 wrote:
Hello! Glad to join you guys on this thread. I was wondering if any of you have information on the scholarship options at CBS. I know there is no additional application for the merit scholarship consideration but has any of you heard about the criteria or how much is usually awarded to what %age of students?

According to Princeton Review, 55% get financial aid of some kind. Merit scholarships are just a component of that, but I don't think many people qualify for need based aid so I think it's a major component. That's worse than other elite programs, but bear in mind that J-termers (about 30% of the class) are not eligible and people who apply before the priority deadline have better odds of getting something. I'm thinking it's fair to say 50/50 as a baseline for merit scholarships for August starters who applied before Jan, which you can adjust based on your GMAT/GPA, leadership experiences and whether or not you meet the criteria for any of the named awards. But admittedly that's just a guess.

I read an article (Forbes I think) that said the average merit award at Columbia is $10,000. According to the Columbia website, they start announcing awards in mid February and will continue through mid April.

As far as criteria, each award has a different list. The basic ones are based on academic achievement and "leadership potential". Many awards are endowed specifically for a certain type of student based on ethnicity, nationality, career focus, etc. All the awards are detailed on their financial aid webpage.

Last edited by pearljam on 23 Jan 2012, 14:14, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2012 - admitted students [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2012, 08:43
pearljam wrote:
ksk80 wrote:
Hello! Glad to join you guys on this thread. I was wondering if any of you have information on the scholarship options at CBS. I know there is no additional application for the merit scholarship consideration but has any of you heard about the criteria or how much is usually awarded to what %age of students?

According to Princeton Review, 55% get financial aid of some kind. Merit scholarships are just a component of that. It's worse than other elite programs, but bear in mind that J-termers (about 30% of the class) are not eligible and people who apply before the priority deadline have better odds of getting something. I'm thinking it's fair to say 50/50 as a baseline for merit scholarships for August starters who applied before Jan, but admittedly that's just a guess. Then you can adjust based on your GMAT/GPA, leadership experiences and whether or not you meet the criteria for any of the named awards.

I read an article (Forbes I think) that said the average merit award at Columbia is $10,000. According to the Columbia website, they start announcing awards in mid February and will continue through mid April.

As far as criteria, each award has a different list. The basic ones are based on academic achievement and "leadership potential". Many awards are endowed specifically for a certain type of student based on ethnicity, nationality, career focus, etc. All the awards are detailed on their financial aid webpage.

That's very helpful. Thanks pearljam!
Manager
Manager

Re: Columbia 2012 - admitted students [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2012, 12:23
Does mailing the original university transcript appear in the To-Do list? I didn't find it there and was wondering if CBS requires it...
Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q V

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia 2012 - admitted students [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 12:05
ksk80 wrote:
Does mailing the original university transcript appear in the To-Do list? I didn't find it there and was wondering if CBS requires it...

Yea, it should be there if you paid the deposit. Initially I only had 14 things on my to-do list, trasncripts not being one of them. Once I paid the 6k deposit though, my list shot up to 30+ items which then included transcripts. This was the case for a few other members on this thread as well.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

Re: Columbia 2012 - admitted students [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 18:16
How long did it take everyone to receive their admissions packet in the mail? I was admitted on 1/23 and still have not received anything.
Intern
Intern
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Re: Columbia 2012 - admitted students [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 20:55
ls413 wrote:
How long did it take everyone to receive their admissions packet in the mail? I was admitted on 1/23 and still have not received anything.

1/23?! Give it some time, lol. I was admitted last Wednesday 1/18 and still haven't received anything in the mail.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

Re: Columbia 2012 - admitted students [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 21:23
Jack_Silver wrote:
ls413 wrote:

1/23?! Give it some time, lol. I was admitted last Wednesday 1/18 and still haven't received anything in the mail.

Sorry, that was a typo. I was admitted on 1/13. I only live across town, though, so I thought I might have received it by now. NYU had theirs to me the day after I received my acceptance.
Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q V

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia 2012 - admitted students [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2012, 09:55
ls413 wrote:
Jack_Silver wrote:
ls413 wrote:

Sorry, that was a typo. I was admitted on 1/13. I only live across town, though, so I thought I might have received it by now. NYU had theirs to me the day after I received my acceptance.

I got mine in about 2 weeks, but I was ED, so they only sent me an acceptance letter in the mail (the same one you can download from the application site). Not sure if RD applicants get a different packet though.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2012 - admitted students [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2012, 12:07
I just got the call! I'm in! And I'm going to attend the 2/10 Columbia Connect and the 2/11 Columbia Challenge. Excited to meet all of you!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Columbia 2012 - admitted students [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2012, 12:54
Is the challenge something that everyone is invited too? And does anyone know the amount of that fellowship specifically? Thanks!
Manager
Manager

Re: Columbia 2012 - admitted students [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2012, 02:26
Has any of you completed the Kroll verification process? I'm having issues logging into the site just now but was wondering what this is all about. Thanks in advance...
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
GPA: 3.6

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Columbia 2012 - admitted students [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2012, 19:09
any news on $$? i thought it's supposed to come out mid-feb
Manager
Manager

Re: Columbia 2012 - admitted students [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2012, 09:54
svalik wrote:
any news on $$? i thought it's supposed to come out mid-feb

Three people have reported receiving scholarships already on the applicant tracker in the other forum.

At the Columbia Connect event, they explained that scholarships are awarded on a rolling basis, and they will begin making announcements in mid-Feb but they will continue through April.

They also gave an additional piece of info- average merit award amounts are between $24 and $25k. They didn't give any information about dispersion, or about the percentage of students who are awarded merit scholarships. They said the scholarship budget is based on endowment performance, which is good news because their endowment did outstanding last year- up 23.6%.

Last edited by pearljam on 16 Apr 2012, 12:03, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia 2012 - admitted students [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2012, 08:10
Has anyone heard today if they have been awarded a fellowship or scholarship? I was told that some people will be notified today and others down the road.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Columbia 2012 - admitted students [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2012, 08:53
jdlange01 wrote:
Has anyone heard today if they have been awarded a fellowship or scholarship? I was told that some people will be notified today and others down the road.

I haven't heard anything yet either...and this will be a deciding factor for which school I'll be sending my deposit to next week. Very down-to-the-wire...
Manager
Manager

Re: Columbia 2012 - admitted students [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2012, 09:00
jdlange01 wrote:

I wouldn't sweat it. The admissions office is probably closed for the holiday today.
Manager
Manager

Re: Columbia 2012 - admitted students [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2012, 09:09
brooklynite123 wrote:
I haven't heard anything yet either...and this will be a deciding factor for which school I'll be sending my deposit to next week. Very down-to-the-wire...

I'm in the exact same situation.

Last edited by pearljam on 16 Apr 2012, 12:02, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 8

Re: Columbia 2012 - admitted students [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2012, 09:31
I'm waiting very anxiously as well. At the Columbia Challenge, which was on 11 February, they told us 1 to 2 weeks (meaning, likely, this week). We'll definitely hear before the first deposit deadline, but with other schools' deadlines coming due (Booth's is Friday), hopefully we'll here before 27 February.
Re: Columbia 2012 - admitted students   [#permalink] 20 Feb 2012, 09:31