Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 07:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2012 MAcc Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [3] , given: 1

2012 MAcc Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 20:59
This post received
KUDOS
Hey all!

I have probably lurked on and off for about the past year as I have prepared for the GMAT and appraised the MAcc admissions process. I was hoping to come out of the woodwork when the "2012 Unite!" thread came out but, sadly, that never happened. This forum has been dead, which is a shame since there aren't many outlets for people to share first-hand experiences regarding their MAcc/MSA application process. So, I hope fellow lurkers (I know you're out there) sign up and dormant posters come back as we get into the busiest time in the process. I'll start us off!

MAcc - Audit or Audit Systems track

Schools:
Arkansas - admitted with graduate assistantship
Georgia - admitted (still waiting to hear about assistantship)

Profile:
3.9 GPA undergrad - accounting major
710 GMAT
Big4 audit internship

So. . . Let's hear it!

PS: I know a lot of you on here do not have an accounting background, so if you have any questions regarding Big4 audit internships, the recruiting/interview process, etc., please start a thread and I will jump in and do my best to answer any questions. Let's keep this thread just for applications, profiles, and admissions decisions though.

Last edited by pettycash on 30 Jan 2012, 20:47, edited 2 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 3

Re: 2012 MAcc Applicants - Let's Get This Going! [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 21:04
This post received
KUDOS
Was wondering when this would get started.

I only applied to one program and got into today! Was getting a little nervous.

GPA: 3.48
Major: Sociology (I can't tell you how glad I am to get to go to a program without prereqs... I tried the job market for several months after graduation and with a Soc degree there was almost nothing out there)
GMAT: 680

School: UNC

I applied for the Dec. 1 deadline but had a prof blow off my recommendation so I didn't get everything in until the 17th of Dec. I interviewed on January 9th and got my acceptance email today (the 25th).

I applied to about 15 schools for undergrad and the whole process was incredibly more stressful. Can't wait to start in May.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: 2012 MAcc Applicants - Let's Get This Going! [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2012, 07:09
I submitted my applications not too long ago, so I haven't heard anything back, but I'll still post with my background/schools and update when I hear more information.

PROFILE:
GPA: 4.0
Major: Graphic Design; Minors: Business Admin, Econ
GMAT: 700
Exp: 3 years working for a communications firm; no relevant accounting
Ambition: Work for Big 4 in Audit/Assurance

SCHOOLS:
UNC: Applied mid-jan; waiting to hear back
Bentley: Applied second round (mid-jan); waiting to hear back
U of Pittsburgh: Applied second round (late-jan); waiting to hear back

Pettycash: Thank you for starting this topic. I was waiting for it as well!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 2012 MAcc Applicants - Let's Get This Going! [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2012, 17:46
Profile:
GPA 3.53
GMAT: 660
Major: Accounting
Experience: 1 year interning at manufacturing company in accounting department, currently interning at small CPA firm since May.

Schools:
Baruch, Texas A&M, SUNY Binghamton, SUNY Buffalo

Good luck to you all! There are a lot of bright people here. I'm sure everyone will do fine.
Intern
Intern

Re: 2012 MAcc Applicants - Let's Get This Going! [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2012, 16:15
Yay! Was hoping to see one of these pop up.

Profile:
GPA: 3.7 - Finance major
GMAT: 740
Experience: Zilch, just took a year off in between undergrad and now and worked typical crappy retail job.

Schools (all applied to in mid-November):

Univ of Texas @ Austin: Accepted, with OOS tuition waiver and small scholarship
USC: Accepted, 40% scholarship
William and Mary: Accepted, small scholarship

Obviously I'm very happy with this cycle, and am 99.999% sure I'll be in Austin this summer. Tough choice between them and USC, but in the end, LA is extremely unappealing to me and the cost of living differences make it much more expensive than UT. Would love to meet others who will be attending Texas!
Intern
Intern
Schools: UT-Austin

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: 2012 MAcc Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2012, 13:34
Profile:
GPA: 3.8 - History
GMAT: 710
Experience: Nada, pretty much the exact same situation as popcorn88.

Schools (applied in october):
UT-Austin: accepted with OOS tuition waiver and partial scholarship
UNC: Accepted, No scholly though.

I love Chapel Hill and the program at UNC, but the financial aid offer is probably going to sway my decision to UT. I'm about 95% sure that I'll end in Austin. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear back!
Intern
Intern

Re: 2012 MAcc Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2012, 14:32
Profile:
GPA: 3.8 - music major
GMAT: 760
Work Experience: nothing immediately relevant, just a bunch of music jobs

Schools:
UNC: accepted w/ scholarship
USC: accepted w/ scholarship
Boston College: accepted w/ scholarship
UT-Austin: accepted w/ scholarship
Wake Forest: accepted w/ scholarship
UNC-Charlotte: still waiting for a decision

I'll be attending Wake Forest, starting in the summer. I'm really looking forward to it! Good luck to everyone!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V45
GPA: 3.1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: 2012 MAcc Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2012, 15:00
Profile:
GPA: 3.2 - math major
GMAT: 770
Work Experience: 4 months, partially relevant

Schools:
UNC: accepted w/ no scholarship
UT-Austin: waiting for a decision

if I get into UT, I'll almost definitely go there. it's cheaper (even without a scholarship), comparable academically, and the program starts later, which means I won't have to leave my company during our busy season. I'm not too confident I'll get in though.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2012, 13:18
e

Last edited by waterwater on 08 Apr 2012, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: 2012 MAcc Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2012, 09:18
Calpoly, Congratulation. Do you mind tell me how much scholarship you got from BC? probably I will hear back from BC in a week. I need to get an offer from BC. Finger crossed.
Intern
Intern

Re: 2012 MAcc Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2012, 14:20
wow

Last edited by waterwater on 08 Apr 2012, 11:21, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: 2012 MAcc Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2012, 18:27
I have heard back from Binghamton and Texas A&M and have been accepted at both schools. However, my top choice is Baruch but cannot hear back from them until May since they need my final transcript to make a decision (which I think is unnecessary).

Anyway, does anyone know how binding it is if I were to put down the deposit at Texas A&M until I hear back from Baruch in May? If I were to get into Baruch, I would like to go there, otherwise Texas A&M will be the choice. I just don't want to be stuck with nowhere to go if I were to be rejected from Baruch. Thanks for any advice.
Intern
Intern

Re: 2012 MAcc Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2012, 12:32
Hi, Anyone heard back from BC or UVA?
CPA2141, I am at the second semester of my senior year. If I apply to Baruch, you mean I won't get admission from them until I submit my final transcript of my last semester of the college?
Intern
Intern

Re: 2012 MAcc Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2012, 14:28
waterwater wrote:
CPA2141, I am at the second semester of my senior year. If I apply to Baruch, you mean I won't get admission from them until I submit my final transcript of my last semester of the college?

I'm in the same boat waterwater. Yes, for some strange reason they cannot and will not make an admissions decision until they have your final transcript. This is the only MS Accounting program that I came across that does this. Best of luck to you even through this inconvenience.
Intern
Intern

Re: 2012 MAcc Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2012, 19:41
anyone heard back from UVA?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.83
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: 2012 MAcc Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2012, 23:44

Last edited by badini0891 on 25 Feb 2014, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: 2012 MAcc Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2012, 19:01
I figured I would post my stats for others to look at in the future:

GPA: 3.68
GMAT: 680 (42Q, 40V, 6.0 AWA)

Schools: (applied for Financial Reporting/Assurance concentration)
University of Texas- Austin: Accepted w/ OOS tuition waiver and merit scholarship
Notre Dame: Accepted w/ $$
University of Virginia: Accepted

I am really having a hard time choosing between Texas and Notre Dame!

Last edited by FutureCPA1585 on 25 Apr 2012, 05:38, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: 2012 MAcc Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2012, 19:13
yo future, when did you apply those school and when did you hear back from them? I applied same school with yours, but all rejected except of UVA. I havent heard back from UVa and that is my only hope. Thank you.
Intern
Intern

Re: 2012 MAcc Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2012, 19:17
I applied mid-january and heard back from UVA at the beginning of feb. but they don't release scholarships until the end of this month...hope that helps, good luck!
Intern
Intern

Re: 2012 MAcc Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2012, 04:07
waterwater wrote:
yo future, when did you apply those school and when did you hear back from them? I applied same school with yours, but all rejected except of UVA. I havent heard back from UVa and that is my only hope. Thank you.

Were you rejected from BC too? I only ask because UVA, although the program is on par with Boston College, has more stringent application stats.
Re: 2012 MAcc Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants!   [#permalink] 25 Feb 2012, 04:07