Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 06:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2014-2015 Laptop Discussion

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2013
Posts: 77
Location: United States
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 640 Q38 V39
GPA: 3.31
WE: Human Resources (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 3

2014-2015 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 06 May 2014, 08:00
It is that time again! I am wondering if I should continue my trend of being an Apple Mac user (especially now that the MacBook Air has more storage space), or if it is time to look through all the PC options. I have to return my work computer next month, so I am starting my laptop search.

What is everyone looking at, and why?
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 20 May 2013
Posts: 539
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 53

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 2014-2015 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 06 May 2014, 11:06
Expert's post
Definitely a windows laptop.

More value for your buck than apple, and less having to worry about compatibility issues. Plenty of people have Macs at business school, but you have to either 1) re-learn excel shortcuts for Mac or 2) dual-boot and use windows on a mac, which seems complicated.

Plus in general macs are just over priced for what they offer, and since I'll be broke again soon, I want the most value for my dollar, instead of a luxury brand.
BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
Status: Hoping to get off the waitlist!
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 344
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 740 Q52 V38
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 122

Premium Member
Re: 2014-2015 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 06 May 2014, 11:24
speedyb09 wrote:
It is that time again! I am wondering if I should continue my trend of being an Apple Mac user (especially now that the MacBook Air has more storage space), or if it is time to look through all the PC options. I have to return my work computer next month, so I am starting my laptop search.

What is everyone looking at, and why?


Doesn't Yale give you a standard issue laptop (Dell)?
_________________

My review of some of the CAT practice exams
List of all 2014 Admit Weekends
You can usually find me on gmatclub's chat.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2013
Posts: 77
Location: United States
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 640 Q38 V39
GPA: 3.31
WE: Human Resources (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 3

Re: 2014-2015 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 06 May 2014, 11:28
farful wrote:
speedyb09 wrote:
It is that time again! I am wondering if I should continue my trend of being an Apple Mac user (especially now that the MacBook Air has more storage space), or if it is time to look through all the PC options. I have to return my work computer next month, so I am starting my laptop search.

What is everyone looking at, and why?


Doesn't Yale give you a standard issue laptop (Dell)?


As of this year, not anymore. They are stopping with this incoming class... which is why I am so clueless because I didn't even know I needed to think about it until now. :(
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Feb 2013
Posts: 19
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 2.77
WE: General Management (Journalism and Publishing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 5

Re: 2014-2015 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 08 May 2014, 07:31
I picked up a Lenovo Y510p about a month ago and have been loving it. It's an all-purpose beast with an i7 processor, 8 gigs of RAM, a 1 TB hard drive plus a 24-gig SSD for caching, a dedicated graphics card, great speakers and webcam, etc. Honestly, I bought that particular model because I needed something suitable for b-school that would also allow me to play games between classes. :)

Here's a link: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/le ... ies/y510p/

Also, it looks like you're a fellow Consortium student. The Consortium recently announced it's struck a deal with Lenovo to offer discounts on its products. More details here: http://www.cgsm.org/special-savings-on- ... m-members/

If you don't need the gaming horsepower, I guess you could use the discount on one of the other models Lenovo offers; there are plenty.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 30 Jan 2010
Posts: 236
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 66

Re: 2014-2015 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 08 May 2014, 08:43
Don't forget to check your school's tech/bookstore prices. Most universities get far better deals than what you can find online. Office, Acrobat, and loads of other software tends to be free as well.
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 20 May 2013
Posts: 539
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 53

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 2014-2015 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 08 May 2014, 19:40
Expert's post
I just bought the "Lenovo Y50 Laptop - 59416755 - Black" for $1050 (got $100 off with corporate discount). The non-touch screen version (which I bought) was just released today. Seems like the biggest bang for your buck in regards to graphic card, processor, and hard drive space in that price range. I don't know much about computers anymore, but this is what my google research showed me haha. It's pretty much the slightly newer version of what the above poster bought.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/cont ... 3A&redir=y

Intel Core i7-4700HQ Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
Windows 8.1 64
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB
8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
15.6" FHD LED AntiGlare Backlight (1920x1080)
Hybrid 1TB 5400 RPM+8GB SSHD
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Posts: 1088
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 450

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 2014-2015 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 09 May 2014, 11:20
mgg234 wrote:
I just bought the "Lenovo Y50 Laptop - 59416755 - Black" for $1050 (got $100 off with corporate discount). The non-touch screen version (which I bought) was just released today. Seems like the biggest bang for your buck in regards to graphic card, processor, and hard drive space in that price range. I don't know much about computers anymore, but this is what my google research showed me haha. It's pretty much the slightly newer version of what the above poster bought.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/cont ... 3A&redir=y

Intel Core i7-4700HQ Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
Windows 8.1 64
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB
8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
15.6" FHD LED AntiGlare Backlight (1920x1080)
Hybrid 1TB 5400 RPM+8GB SSHD



How is it different from http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/le ... ies/y510p/ ? Don't they have the same specs (except y510p having a 6 cell battery vis-a-vis a 4 cell battery for y50)?
_________________

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 20 May 2013
Posts: 539
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 53

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 2014-2015 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 09 May 2014, 11:32
Expert's post
jumsumtak wrote:
mgg234 wrote:
I just bought the "Lenovo Y50 Laptop - 59416755 - Black" for $1050 (got $100 off with corporate discount). The non-touch screen version (which I bought) was just released today. Seems like the biggest bang for your buck in regards to graphic card, processor, and hard drive space in that price range. I don't know much about computers anymore, but this is what my google research showed me haha. It's pretty much the slightly newer version of what the above poster bought.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/cont ... 3A&redir=y

Intel Core i7-4700HQ Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
Windows 8.1 64
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB
8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
15.6" FHD LED AntiGlare Backlight (1920x1080)
Hybrid 1TB 5400 RPM+8GB SSHD



How is it different from http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/le ... ies/y510p/ ? Don't they have the same specs (except y510p having a 6 cell battery vis-a-vis a 4 cell battery for y50)?


y50 is higher resolution (1920x1080 versus 1366x768), and better video card (Geforce 860M versus 755M), and also has a 8GB SSD. Both have same intel processors and memory. Looks like I get worse battery and no optical drive though.
BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
Status: Hoping to get off the waitlist!
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 344
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 740 Q52 V38
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 122

Premium Member
Re: 2014-2015 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 09 May 2014, 11:34
My recommendation is that you get a 1080p laptop. This isn't the standard display and you'll have to dish out a bit more $$, but having the larger resolution when you're doing Excel and having many different windows open is immensely useful.

Also, try to skip out on all software and even the OS. This will cut costs and you can obtain most (if not all - Office is probably the exception) for free at school.
_________________

My review of some of the CAT practice exams
List of all 2014 Admit Weekends
You can usually find me on gmatclub's chat.

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Posts: 1088
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 450

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 2014-2015 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 09 May 2014, 11:37
mgg234 wrote:
jumsumtak wrote:
mgg234 wrote:
I just bought the "Lenovo Y50 Laptop - 59416755 - Black" for $1050 (got $100 off with corporate discount). The non-touch screen version (which I bought) was just released today. Seems like the biggest bang for your buck in regards to graphic card, processor, and hard drive space in that price range. I don't know much about computers anymore, but this is what my google research showed me haha. It's pretty much the slightly newer version of what the above poster bought.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/cont ... 3A&redir=y

Intel Core i7-4700HQ Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
Windows 8.1 64
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB
8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
15.6" FHD LED AntiGlare Backlight (1920x1080)
Hybrid 1TB 5400 RPM+8GB SSHD


How is it different from http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/le ... ies/y510p/ ? Don't they have the same specs (except y510p having a 6 cell battery vis-a-vis a 4 cell battery for y50)?


y50 is higher resolution (1920x1080 versus 1366x768), and better video card (Geforce 860M versus 755M), and also has a 8GB SSD. Both have same intel processors and memory. Looks like I get worse battery and no optical drive though.


Ah yes. Missed the video card aspect. But, I was looking at the upgraded thing. That has the same resolution and 8GB SSD.

Just a quick check - Should I expect some discounts on/near July 4?
_________________

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 20 May 2013
Posts: 539
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 53

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 2014-2015 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 09 May 2014, 12:46
Expert's post
I heard if you wait Late august early September you can start getting the christmas discounts, July 4 might be a bit too soon. I bought now so I'd have access to corporate discounts before I leave/my current laptop is on its last legs.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Jan 2014
Posts: 10
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.53
WE: Project Management (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: 2014-2015 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 29 May 2014, 12:04
Is the Thinkpad Carbon X1 still a good way to go? A lot of people on here have raved about it previously. I definitely want some Thinkpad variety - Stern pushes its Dell partnership a lot, but I'm not falling for that!
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jun 2012
Posts: 393
Concentration: General Management
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 13

Premium Member
Re: 2014-2015 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 31 May 2014, 06:38
I just purchased the Lenovo X1 Carbon.

Posted from my mobile device Image
_________________

Advice, Musings, and Experiences from a member of the HBS Class of 2016
- What questions to ask admissions officers
- 5 Things to do Now to Prepare for Round 1 applications
http://DefyingGravityMBA.blogspot.com/

BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
Status: Hoping to get off the waitlist!
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 344
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 740 Q52 V38
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 122

Premium Member
Re: 2014-2015 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2014, 11:28
Anyone have any opinions on these new touchscreen laptops?

Examples:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D4AX780/
The Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon comes in a touch variety as well.
_________________

My review of some of the CAT practice exams
List of all 2014 Admit Weekends
You can usually find me on gmatclub's chat.

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Posts: 1088
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 450

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 2014-2015 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2014, 11:36
farful wrote:
Anyone have any opinions on these new touchscreen laptops?

Example:
http://www.amazon.com/Acer-S7-391-6818- ... 00H7WF54K/



I like S7. It looks really sleek and packs okay specs for a decent price.

On touch screen laptops - I have one and I hardly use the touch screen. It's a luxury, really. You tend to use it when you're lazy or want to try some jazzy stuff/show off. Also, if you're buying for B-school, I don't picture you using that feature a lot. I'd say not worth the extra $$, but that's me.
_________________

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Apr 2009
Posts: 56
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: 2014-2015 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2014, 10:51
If you like Mac you can still use windows on it. I worked part-time in my b-school's computer lab and we would create a separate memory partition in a Mac and install Windows operating system in that. So you Mac would have both your Mac OS and Windows OS. Not sure if this is a standard thing in other schools but it was pretty useful for those who wanted to have a Mac for their personal use but for school they wanted Windows. Worth checking it out from your school.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2013
Posts: 84
Location: Australia
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: HEC Jan'16 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 29

Reviews Badge
Re: 2014-2015 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2014, 16:40
I have a mac and was planning to use the same for my studies. Just curious ...apart from doing work on excel , PPT and word , where else would you need a windows OS ? Do B schools have applications that can only be accessed on windows ?
_________________

Take care to get what you like or you will be forced to like what you get!!

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Apr 2009
Posts: 56
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: 2014-2015 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2014, 16:53
ashkul123 wrote:
I have a mac and was planning to use the same for my studies. Just curious ...apart from doing work on excel , PPT and word , where else would you need a windows OS ? Do B schools have applications that can only be accessed on windows ?


We used tools such as Crystal Ball, SPSS, and some other for data analysis. These might vary by school, so it would be a good idea to check with your school about what all tools you would need on your laptop. Your school may not have the license for the required tools for both Windows and Mac or a tool may not be available for Mac.

Schools generally have this information up on their websites, but it is better to call them and get a complete list of what is available and what is not.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2013
Posts: 3
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.55
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: 2014-2015 Laptop Discussion [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2014, 13:59
So how necessary is a dedicated graphics card? I was thinking about the Thinkpad Yoga since there's the option for a Wacom digitizer so I can take notes right on the screen. However, there's a new Asus that's coming out soon that looks a lot nicer and has all the specs I need plus the dedicated graphics card:

http://www.amazon.com/Zenbook-UX303LN-D ... B00KTL21RA

I definitely want to keep it at 3.5 lbs max and I have a desktop at home so this would just be to get work done in class. Also, how does a 12.5" screen do with excel files? Would it be too uncomfortable?
Re: 2014-2015 Laptop Discussion   [#permalink] 09 Jul 2014, 13:59
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 2013-14 Laptop discussion Agentfish36 15 24 Jun 2013, 07:28
14 Experts publish their posts in the topic 2012-13 Laptop Discussion GMATLA 114 25 Jul 2012, 19:51
5 Experts publish their posts in the topic 2011 Laptop discussion malbec 37 11 May 2011, 05:50
16 Experts publish their posts in the topic 2010 Laptop discussion 2012dreams 173 15 Mar 2010, 11:59
19 Experts publish their posts in the topic The great Laptop discussion forum westsider 591 19 Mar 2008, 12:42
Display posts from previous: Sort by

2014-2015 Laptop Discussion

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 31 posts ] 

Moderator: threestripes



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.