Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:33 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [8]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Awesome Level: 10++
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [6]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Re: 2014 US News Business School Ranking [#permalink]
updated with detailed stats of top 105 schools in excel file.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Thanks for the heads up!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
Schools: Foster '15
GMAT Date: 04-13-2013
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Education)
Send PM
Just a clarification.... Foster is not 24th... it's tied for 23rd.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
MacNick wrote:
Just a clarification.... Foster is not 24th... it's tied for 23rd.

That's a crazy jump from foster. I was strongly considering applying, and was around half way through the app when my wife changed her mind about living on the west coast. I'm a big fan of their program, and thinks its a great way into the big name companies in Seattle.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [6]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Darden - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE:Marketing (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
After reading about how these ranks are calculated, I've come to the conclusion that US News is borderline trash. 25%, the largest single chunk, on peer assessment? That just guarantees a certain level of stability, as the ranks reinforce deans' perceptions, which reinforce ranks, which reinforces.....you get the idea.

And GMAT weighs more than recruiter assessment score? You mean, some test which has dubious predictive ability beyond the 1st year of b-school is more important than getting those job opportunities that could shape our entire career? Add in GPA, and almost a quarter of the score is based on academics - this just sounds too high. Basically, too much is made of the kinds of students come into a program (gmat, gpa) and not enough on what kinds of students come out of a program (recruiter assessment, starting salary).

You would think b-school is a bastion of free market capitalists, and the ratio of demand to supply - i.e the acceptance rate - would tell us a lot about how each school is perceived in the marketplace. Surely Harvard gets a lot of apps because it is perceived to be the best, which is what a ranking is all about? But lo, US News only thinks this is worth 1%! Crazy.

Plus, I wonder about the "starting salary" metric - it rewards a school for being finance or consulting heavy. I'm not sure if this is right or wrong, but it's something to think about.

Lastly, I have to wonder about response rates - 43% of those surveyed responded to peer assessment, while a dismal 16% of corporate recruiters responded to their piece of the survey? I don't think you need a stats class to tell you that the confidence intervals on this stuff must be huge.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
Schools: Foster '15
GMAT Date: 04-13-2013
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
The rating system definitely is flawed, but what other system do we have to measure? Maybe a student satisfaction survey one year out of the program, or five years out of the program? Maybe GMATclub should develop its own rankings!

Edit: scratch that: the-all-new-gmatclub-business-school-rankings-58341.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3
WE:Marketing (Computer Software)
Send PM
+1

Nice write-up.

Completely agree that the survey results are a "self-fulfilling prophecy." All they do is ask both b-school administrators and recruiters "to rate programs on a scale of 1 (marginal) to 5 (outstanding)." My guess is that these results are heavily influenced by prior year(s) rankings for the top 20 (or so) schools. For lower ranked schools, a lack of program awareness and questionable response rates yield big fluctuations in the data (and hence the overall ranking). The fact that these results represent 40% of the overall score makes no sense to me.

Regarding the starting salary metric, they also don't take into account geographic differences...

huntzman wrote:
After reading about how these ranks are calculated, I've come to the conclusion that US News is borderline trash. 25%, the largest single chunk, on peer assessment? That just guarantees a certain level of stability, as the ranks reinforce deans' perceptions, which reinforce ranks, which reinforces.....you get the idea.

And GMAT weighs more than recruiter assessment score? You mean, some test which has dubious predictive ability beyond the 1st year of b-school is more important than getting those job opportunities that could shape our entire career? Add in GPA, and almost a quarter of the score is based on academics - this just sounds too high. Basically, too much is made of the kinds of students come into a program (gmat, gpa) and not enough on what kinds of students come out of a program (recruiter assessment, starting salary).

You would think b-school is a bastion of free market capitalists, and the ratio of demand to supply - i.e the acceptance rate - would tell us a lot about how each school is perceived in the marketplace. Surely Harvard gets a lot of apps because it is perceived to be the best, which is what a ranking is all about? But lo, US News only thinks this is worth 1%! Crazy.

Plus, I wonder about the "starting salary" metric - it rewards a school for being finance or consulting heavy. I'm not sure if this is right or wrong, but it's something to think about.

Lastly, I have to wonder about response rates - 43% of those surveyed responded to peer assessment, while a dismal 16% of corporate recruiters responded to their piece of the survey? I don't think you need a stats class to tell you that the confidence intervals on this stuff must be huge.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Send PM
This is why I prefer the Poets and Quants ranking. It takes into consideration multiple publications.

That said, the raw data is flawed anyway, and rankings should only serve as a guideline.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I think these rankings didn't tell us anything new. Very predictable. The top 10 is pretty much the same, the 10-20 the same with very small changes.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
french16 wrote:
I think these rankings didn't tell us anything new. Very predictable. The top 10 is pretty much the same, the 10-20 the same with very small changes.

Exactly. And keep in mind that rankings have to change a little bit from year to year in order to sell magazines - it wouldn't be news if the rankings were the same as last year.

In reality, I don't think there is significant change from year to year...i.e. schools don't break into a higher tier or drop down into a lower one. For example, the big news this time was how Yale dropped 3 spots, but it's still in that 10-16 tier. Booth dropped a bit, but is still a locked into the 4-9 tier, and of course, the HSW holy trinity remains intact.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
out of curiosity. anyone have details on the numerical "overall scores" didnt notice that in the excel file?
GMAT Club Bot