Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 01:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

21 days to go. 660 in my first GMAC Test

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: IIMA
WE 1: IT - 10 years
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

21 days to go. 660 in my first GMAC Test [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2011, 19:12
I took my first GMAT practice test today (GMAC CD) and scored 660 (Q49,V31).
I will be creating my error log later tonight.
Areas of Improvement:
a. Time management (Lots of Q questions incorrect towards end)
b. The incorrect questions were the ones I spent most time on.
c. Verbal needs more practice.
I will be appearing for the exam on May 23rd. I have gone through different posts on the site and my plan for next 2 weeks is as follows:
Week 1: Kaplan Verbal Foundations revision
Power CR
MGMAT RC
MGMAT SC
MGMAT CR
OG Verbal
Kaplan 800 - Verbal - Practice
Princeton GMAT Verbal - Practice
Quant revision
Kaplan 800
Practice 5 - 10 essays
MGMAT CAT Test 1
Error Log:
MGMAT CAT Test 2
Error Log
Week 2:
MGMAT Quant Books
McGraw GMAT Math
Math Workout for GMAT
REA GMAT Math Tests
Essays 5 - 10
Kaplan Premier
OG Math Guide
OG 12
MGMAT CAT Test 3
2 - 3 Free exams from various sites (mentioned in one of the other posts)
After 2 weeks, I will check my progress and work on the weaknesses for the 4 days. For last three days, I plan to revise my notes, practice 5 - 10 essays and full-length exams ( 3 MGMAT and second GMAC Cd test).

I am planning to prepare Quant and Verbal from MGMAT, and formulas posted in GMAT forum.
Is OG 12 helpful in understanding the concepts or should I use it for practice and list of Awa?
Please advise.
Your comments and suggestions to improve or criticize my plan are most welcome.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 84

Kudos [?]: 470 [0], given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: 21 days to go. 660 in my first GMAC Test [#permalink] New post 01 May 2011, 00:20
Expert's post
Part C of your areas of improvement is incomplete. It's not just a matter of practice for verbal. You truly need to put forth a great deal of effort in order to cover and fully understand all of the concepts for verbal. But it seems that you already know this, given the books that you included in your preparation. The Powerscore CR Bible and Manhattan SC guide are essential. There are mixed reviews on the Manhattan RC guide, but it's still acceptable. I wouldn't bother purchasing another CR or SC book. If the concepts still trouble you, then re-read the books just mentioned. There is no need to spend more money on another book on the same topic.

For problem practice with verbal, start with the OG material. After that, some LSAT RC passages are pretty reliable. And make sure to fully read all of the explanations, even for the ones that you answer correctly. But most important of all: DON'T UNDERESTIMATE THE VERBAL SECTION! Many simply assume that a few weeks of reasonable effort will do the trick. Unfortunately, that's not the case. Verbal is your weak spot, so treat it seriously. The verbal section is where you will make (or not make) your target score.

Your quant is quite strong, so while further preparation is encouraged, don't let it take over the time needed for verbal. For quant, the best sources include the Manhattan math series, the OG books, and the GMATClub tests.

For AWA, read Chineseburned's post. That's the best place to start.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 84

Kudos [?]: 470 [1] , given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: 21 days to go. 660 in my first GMAC Test [#permalink] New post 01 May 2011, 07:05
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Another issue deals with the schedule itself. Your overall plan is a bit extreme. If you can handle all of this in such a short period, then that's impressive (as long as it helps). I myself adopted a super hardcore approach for math, and that helped me quite a bit.

However, don't sacrifice performance just to finish the study plan above. The study materials and overall approach should be designed for the highest GMAT score possible. All of us know this, but many lose themselves in the details and forget this. Take more time and use less material if necessary.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: IIMA
WE 1: IT - 10 years
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: 21 days to go. 660 in my first GMAC Test [#permalink] New post 02 May 2011, 06:59
Thank you for your comments.
I have already completed Kaplan Verbal, Powerscore CR (didn't complete the exercises) and MGMAT RC. I need to revise these three so that should take couple of days.
MGMAT RC was more helpful than Princeton GRE RC. Those are the only two I have so I decided to follow MGMAT.
For both MGMAT CR and MGMAT SC, I need 6 hours and 12 hours respectively.
I work from home so I am aiming at 6 - 8 hours a day of study time on weekdays.
I am not able to apply the steps in Powerscore and MGMAT. I want to practice whatever is available and get comfortable with the process.
Re: 21 days to go. 660 in my first GMAC Test   [#permalink] 02 May 2011, 06:59