Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 06:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

22 DAYS LEFT -- PLEASE HELP!!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

22 DAYS LEFT -- PLEASE HELP!!!! [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2005, 07:20
For reasons that I won't go into, I've been on and off GMAT studying for the past 9 months.

For multiple reasons out of my control, i MUST take the GMAT on November 29th.. about 22 days from now!!!!

Over the past few months, I've done about half the Kaplan Math book and a diagnostic here and there, but have not undergone a systematic study program.

Please HELP!!

I have 22 days left and my issues seem to be more in the math arena..

I am shooting for 700+ scores and my diagostics from way back were about 640 / 650 or so (Kaplan).

What are my crucial few take aways.. Here is my plan:

1) Finish most of OG

2) Finish Kaplan 2005 Practice Sections (DS, PS, etc..) from CD

3) Finish Key Kaplan GMAT 800 questions

4) PowerPrep

Is this enough?

Your advice would be so greatly appreciated.

Oooh, as an FYI, I am an American currently living abroad, so my math is definitely my key focal area on this test.

THANKS SO MUCH!!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

hi! tips for you [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2005, 18:03
I wil take the test on same day as you.
It is interesting to note that my problem lies in just the opposite as you are. i will share some tips on math and hopely you can give me some tips on verbal section. will you?

GMAT math is actually not too difficult. I received 48 twice in the past two exams. all the concepts are pretty basic. what makes gmat math hard it that smart ETS designed the question in a way that the questions are just damn time consuming and tricky.

i would not bother with kaplan or any other books other than OG and powerprep. use only materials published by ETS . They are very similiar to what you will see on an actual exam. that being said,

there are several mathematical concepts which showed up on the test very frequently. they are namely: inequality, probabaility , speed/distance problem, simple geometry problems(square, triangle etc). YOu must know the formular inside and out. second, aformentioned concepts are key determiner of how high you will score on the test. if you see questions related to , for example, probability, then you are doing very well. and you must get this question right.

moreover, try to get used to computer screen. do several powerprep sessions and learn your mistakes. it is very important for your eyes to feel comfortable with computer screen. for myself, i have done several practice test using powerprep. that is all i have done for the math part and i got 48.

lastly, you want to spend extra minutes on first 10 questions. they are very very very important. i can not stress this enough. if you messed up on first few questions, it is hard to recover,though not impossible.

hope this helps a bit. Again, stick with powerprep adn learn basic formulars and as alwayson the lookout for shortcut and traps/tricks.

If question is damn long, then there must be a shortcut. once you notice this, your score will go up in no time.
Intern
Intern

Thanks [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2005, 07:03
Hey Buddy:

Thanks for the reply and sorry for taking sooo long to get back on here.. (my internet was shut down for quite a while at home).

Here are my key takeaways around verbal - QUANTITY, QUANTITY AND QUANTITY.

The reason why this is important is that it is necessary to see all of the various nuances that the GMAT may bring up.

I've tried various strategies... from taking practice tests to 40-80 question timed sets in the various GMAT books, but what I've found to be absolutely a killer approach is to simply crack open the OG and go through the questions ONE AT A TIME by doing a question and immediately looking at the answer.

The reason why is because I find myself quickly forgeting the proper grammatical structures / reasons much quicker for verbal than for math...

The more and more I see the "right grammar" ... the more and more I am looking out for this one question after another.

While I am not saying don't time yourself on practice sets, this is really important..

How are you doing out there? I am still dying over here with 6 days to go!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Startegy [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2005, 08:27
Hey Guys,

I took the GMAT and from what I've gathered, the verbal section is definetly from the OG, the math can get more complicated depending on what score you're shooting for.

I've taken 4 Kaplan CATs 530, 580, 570, 560. I am going to start using some of ETS paper & pencil tests under time conditions and see if I can work on my timing. My suggestion, if you're working towards taking the test at the end of the month, with a week to go, paper tests are the way to go.

Oh of course, keep hitting the OG.

thx,

wiseguy
Startegy   [#permalink] 22 Nov 2005, 08:27