Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Oct 2014, 21:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

24. Margaret Courtney-Clarke has traveled to remote

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

24. Margaret Courtney-Clarke has traveled to remote [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2003, 20:28
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
24. Margaret Courtney-Clarke has traveled to remote dwellings in the Transvaal to photograph the art of Ndebele women, whose murals are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries embellished with old and new iconography and in a style that varies from woman to woman and house to house.
(A) whose murals are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries embellished with old and new iconography and in a style that varies from woman to woman and house to house
(B) whose murals are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries are embellished with old and new iconography, and their style is varying among women and houses
(C) whose murals are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries are embellished with old and new iconography, and they are in styles that vary from woman to woman and house to house
(D) with murals brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries embellished with old and new iconography, and their style varies among women and houses
(E) with murals that are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries embellished with old and new iconography, and their styles vary among women and houses
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2003, 22:28
Really tough. I chose A, which imo the beest, providing for parallellizm and clarity.
I eliminated choices, beginning with <with> and ending with <among women and houses>. Having left A and C, I canceled C out since it's not clear what is really modified here - women or murals.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 674 [0], given: 781

Re: SC: Long one. [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2003, 12:49
Vicky wrote:
24. Margaret Courtney-Clarke has traveled to remote dwellings in the Transvaal to photograph the art of Ndebele women, whose murals are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries embellished with old and new iconography and in a style that varies from woman to woman and house to house.

(A) whose murals are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries embellished with old and new iconography and in a style that varies from woman to woman and house to house

(B) whose murals are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries are embellished with old and new iconography, and their style is varying among women and houses

(C) whose murals are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries are embellished with old and new iconography, and they are in styles that vary from woman to woman and house to house

(D) with murals brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries embellished with old and new iconography, and their style varies among women and houses

(E) with murals that are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries embellished with old and new iconography, and their styles vary among women and houses.

The second half of the sentence helps!

B..second half uses present progressive...but the first half is in simple past.."has traveled"..incorrect

D and E are wrong... Among women and houses.

A...I think the sentence is describing a plural subjects....

murals , symmetries and styles

So we need "styles" and so "vary" to accurately describe the plural subject

C corrects the problem with A... C is best
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2003, 10:30
I vote for B. A is clumsy: embellished with old and new iconography and in a style that varies from woman to woman and house to house.

Without this AND A would be fine.
Eternal Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2003, 13:24
its B, the ands in A are redunctant. And C has a pronoun problem "they"

the ones with with are sucky, non idiomatic?

My choice is B.
Eternal Intern

[#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2003, 13:25
its B, the ands in A are redunctant. And C has a pronoun problem "they"

the ones with with are sucky, non idiomatic?

My choice is B.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2003, 21:40
nike,
B sounds ridiculous, it implies variation among women and houses - incomparable subjucts. If not A then C imo.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2003, 06:25
My choice C:- parallelism of murals description 'their geometric symmetries' and 'they are in style'

What say everyone?

Jazzy bee

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2003, 12:54
Is there any rule around vary among?
Are you sure it is incorrect to use varies among women and houses?
If not I guess right answer is E.
Intern
Intern

sc. [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2003, 07:03
my ans a)
the options d) and e) which start ''with murals brightely coloured'' mean that mrs clarke visited these places wearing ''murals '' , which changes the meaning of the sentence itself.
b)''that is varying from woman to house '' .also does change the meaning from the original sentence which say ''vary from woman to woman and house to house''also the ''that is'' changes the parallel str
c)''the styles that are varying'' appears redundant.
any coments!
have fun!
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2006, 11:40
I was going through some old posts and found this interesting one.

I choose A.

Comments?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2006, 13:35
Quote:
(E) with murals that are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries embellished with old and new iconography, and their styles vary among women and houses

Quote:
A...I think the sentence is describing a plural subjects....
murals , symmetries and styles

I say A. I don't think "styles" is necessary b/c murals by different people can have a similar style. (i.e. All those goth kids have the same style of dress)
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2006, 17:55
A is the correct answer but can someone grammatically deconstruct the sentence with option A ? Construction of this sentence is worth studying so let's give it a shot. Please furnish details of roles played each of the phrase/fragments (subject, predicate, depedent/independent clause, participle, modifier etc). I'll add my 2 cents after you.

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2006, 18:06
Let me try

Margaret Courtney-Clarke has traveled to remote dwellings in the Transvaal to photograph the art of Ndebele women, whose murals are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries embellished with old and new iconography and [murals]in a style that varies from woman to woman and house to house.

their - posessive pronoun referring to murals
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2006, 19:09
Margaret Courtney-Clarke has traveled to remote dwellings in the Transvaal to photograph the art of Ndebele women, whose murals are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries embellished with old and new iconography and in a style that varies from woman to woman and house to house

subject:

noun:
"Margaret Courtney-Clarke"

predicate:

verb:
traveled
has traveled - present perfect tense

prepositional phrase:
"to remote dwellings"
"remote" functions as adjective to "dwellings"
"dwellings" functions as the d.o. of the main sentence and object of the preposition:
"to remote dwellings" functions as an adverb of "traveled"

prepositional phrase:
"in the Transvaal" functions as adverb of "traveled"

prepositional phrase:
"to photograph" functions as adverb of "traveled"

definite article:
"the"

predicate noun:
"art"

prepositional phrase:
"of Ndebele women" modifies art functioning as its adjective

relative clause:
"whose murals are brilliantly colored"
"whose" - relative pronoun
the antecedent of "whose" is "women"

subordinate clause:
"their geometrical symmetries embellished with old and new iconography"
modifies "art"
pronoun:
their
the antecedent of "their" is "women"
"symmetries" functions as a noun and "geometrical" is its adjective
"embellished" functions as a verb
"with old and new iconography" is the prepositional phrase
"with" is the preposition
"iconography" is the object of the preposition
"old and new" are the adjectives of "iconography"

prepositional phrase:
"in a style"

relative clause:
"that varies"
"that" is the relative pronoun functioning as the subject and "varies" functions as the verb of the relative clause

prepositional phrase:
"from woman to woman and house to house"

"in a style" and "from woman to woman and house to house" function as adverbs of "varies"

Last edited by ggarr on 08 Dec 2006, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2006, 19:20
Bravo ggarr !! Now that is called grammatical deconstruction.

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2006, 21:18
Quote:
Bravo ggarr !! Now that is called grammatical deconstruction.

Thanks Swagatalakshmi,
Now ..... am I 100% correct?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Long one. [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2006, 22:55
I would have used following method to eliminate choices.

Vicky wrote:

It is a style which varies, not 'styles. Otherwise we can't compare.
Re: SC: Long one.   [#permalink] 09 Dec 2006, 22:55