Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation - Career Changer [#permalink]
Expert Reply
maverick2011,

No, I wasn't implying that your profile is more of a fit for Stern than for Columbia. As a general rule, I just consider NYU Stern to be more of a doable school than Columbia. But maybe we should consider it a "reach/target."

Good luck,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
How much affect does being in-state affect admissions for MBA? I have read before (regarding law schools) that public universities alot a certain number to instate residents. Similar situation for b-school? I have noticed before that schools ranked highly with low average GPAs are typically public (Michigan, UVA, UNC), I wondered if those pulling the numbers down were typically instate.

Guess i could have started an individual topic, but the question is targeted at Paul, and this guys profile provided a good example (whether he has a disadvantage at U Michigan and an advantage at UNC, and to what extent). Attempted a search, but "in state" returns tons of tuition related posts.

Thanks in advance.
Send PM
Expert Reply
GoPanthers,

I have no hard proof to base the following on, but I suspect that at the very highly ranked public schools, like those you listed, the "in-state set-aside" is relatively small. In fact, I would consider being an in-state applicant a negative when evaluating applicants, because you can count on the top public schools being inundated with local applicants, for the lower cost factor if nothing else. It's probably true that public schools set aside a small percentage of their class for deserving underrepresented in-state applicants. Unless you are one of those applicants I would tell an in-state applicant that his odds are better at a top out-of-state (and out of region) school, because he is more likely to be adding something different to the class.
GMAT Club Bot