Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 12:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

25 year old with 4 years WE

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

25 year old with 4 years WE [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2009, 08:20
Alex,

Thank you for your time. I was a tremendous slacker in college graduated with a 2.6 and a Finance degree from Miami of Ohio. At the time I was not interested in my major I wanted something that would get me a job, and my grades suffered. Since then I have worked for three years as a consultant in real estate helping companies sell or negotiate out of distressed assets. I began learning about finance and its real world application and now I want to go back to school to right my wrongs. I decided last winter to take the GMAT and studied four months for the exam, I ended up getting a 570 and was extremely disappointed in the results. I also do volunteer work for a non profit, and belong to several real estate group. I travel and work far too many hours to try and go back and put more time into this so I guess my dreams of going to a top tier school are out the window. With that being said I live in Chicago but work a lot on the West coast as well, what are my chance of getting into a good part time program here in Chicago or somewhere in California.

Thank you
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: 25 year old with 4 years WE [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2009, 08:40
Honestly, your chances are not very good... your stats are too low. You usually need a high GMAT to balance out a lower GPA or vice versa.
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: 25 year old with 4 years WE [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2009, 15:39
Are you looking to get in for this fall?

I know you said that you don't have time to do the re-take, but between spending more time on the written application vs. a GMAT re-take, in your case it will make sense to make that tradeoff and focus on the GMAT.

With your score, you may be able to get into schools like DePaul, but the top part-time programs like Kellogg, Chicago are likely out of reach. Same with the CA schools -- places like Irvine, Claremont, LMU, Pepperdine, Santa Clara, San Jose State, etc. may be possible, but schools like USC, UCLA and Berkeley are out of reach.

If you can bump that score up to the mid-600s (and ideally close to 700), the top programs will be more within reach.

p.s. didn't Ben Roethlisberger go to Miami of Ohio?

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 25 year old with 4 years WE [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2009, 20:14
Alex,

I am looking to apply for fall of 2010, so I do have plenty of time. My problem is the amount of time that I need to put in to both applications and taking the GMAT again really is extremely difficult with my job. I am working 65-70 hour weeks, having dinner with clients on most nights, traveling almost every other week. I have some relationships with professors at schools on the west coast, mainly through their real estate background and I would hope that would help me. However, I know that when it comes to B-School applications it is not who you know. I have gotten to a point with my job where I have a significant amount of negotiating skills, and ability to finesse things, I am lacking the tools that a masters program could give me.

Miami is Big Ben's Alma Mater (though he technically never graduated) we went to school at the same time.

Thank you
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: 25 year old with 4 years WE [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2009, 15:01
You may not like to hear this, but you're just going to have to find a way to prep for a retake.

If what you're hoping to hear is "is it conceivable that someone with my profile as it stands can get into the top tier part-time programs?" -- the answer is yes. Just as a 60 yard field goal is conceivable -- it is possible but a long shot.

The thing is, there are lots of applicants that are hugely busy -- and they still manage to squeeze in time to do the GMAT, commit to doing a great job on the written applications, and so forth. You're just going to have to find a way.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: 25 year old with 4 years WE   [#permalink] 03 Mar 2009, 15:01