Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Apr 2014, 06:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2nd Attempt - 780 (Q50, V46) 3/1/07 up from 710

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2nd Attempt - 780 (Q50, V46) 3/1/07 up from 710 [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2007, 19:01
rakesh.id wrote:

What are Green and Purple materials? Are these very good? For which sections?

He's referring to the supplemental OG. It's a must have.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: 2nd Attempt - 780 (Q50, V46) 3/1/07 up from 710 [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2007, 21:10
kidderek wrote:
rakesh.id wrote:

Thanks Kidderek for clarifying! Someone in this forum mentioned that supplemental OG questions are 100% from OG 10. Do you know if it's true?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 2nd Attempt - 780 (Q50, V46) 3/1/07 up from 710 [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2007, 22:39
rakesh.id wrote:
kidderek wrote:
rakesh.id wrote:

Thanks Kidderek for clarifying! Someone in this forum mentioned that supplemental OG questions are 100% from OG 10. Do you know if it's true?

There may be some overlap between OG10 and Green, Purple, but I don't think it's 100%. If you don't have OG10, don't even worry about it b/c there is no overlap with OG 11. Also, all the new OGs have problems arranged in order of increasing difficulty in the practice, a format that is extremely helpful and necessary. OG10 doesn't have that.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2007, 23:30
well done! You have the heart!

I think I could score this high too if I needed to. :P :lol: :lol:
Intern
Intern

Congrats [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2007, 18:08
Excellent score dude!! I will appreciate if you let me know the price of the complete materials you have...Thanks and congrats once again.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2nd Attempt - 780 (Q50, V46) 3/1/07 up from 710 [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2007, 07:12
farseer wrote:
I just took my GMAT again and scored 780. I am very happy with the results. I want to thank all the people who posted advice on how to increase scores already in the 700's (HongHu, artshep, ashaker, pelihu, etc.)

I am not going to do a lengthy post simply because everything I have to say has already been said by one of the above mentioned members. Those are simply get the right study materials- OG11, Green, Purple, GMATPrep, Manhattan SC, some extra math practice (either Gmatclub challenges or Manhattan CATs will do; however, they are harder than the actual GMAT, and in the case of Manhattan math problems, much much harder), dedicate time everyday, don't ever lose hope, and get good rest (I couldn't sleep well a couple of days before the test, and I think, albeit a little greediy, that I may have had a shot at 790 if I slept well.).

My only useful additions (things people have not stressed that much) are a couple of DONT's:

1) Don't waste your time trying to get too many resources and over complicating things. Spend your time on the materials guaranteed to help you on the GMAT. I see a lot of posts from people trying to get every single possible practice set. One extremely funny, or sad, example involved a person sending the other a Korean practice set, and neither was Korean. There's some debate among various people whether the SC1000's and other 1000's are indeed real. I don't know. I didn't practice with them because I didn't like some, actually many, of the answer choices, as compared to the OG, where all the answer choices were clearly correct. If you want to use them, make sure you read advice (3). I never finished my Princeton Review CATs or 800score ones b/c I thought they did not represent actual harder bin questions well.

2) Don't do odd SC's; make sure they are official GMAT ones. The awkward and odd SC's and their explanations are worse than not doing them at all. There are so many crappy SC practice out there that will hurt your SC skills rather than help them. Manhattan SC is good b/c its main work problems are from directly from OG. In other words, you need to have OG to go through the Manhattan SC lessons.

3) Don't worry too much about one single problem in practice if you're stressed for time. In math, if you do a lot if problems, sooner or later you will understand it when you come back to it. Again, this is truer for SC. English has so many rules and exceptions on top of those rules. You don't have to know the exact reason for a sentence being "awkward" (OG's favorite reason for wrong answer choices); just do more practice to learn patterns. This is only for people who have a limited time for studying. I know that many people study close to a year. I studied one month, so I didn't get a chance to post questions on this forum regarding any specific problems. I mainly studied directly from the books I mentioned above, doing 70-100 problems per day (the only exception being the 3 days I went through Manhattan SC and those that I took practice CATs).

4) Don't practice with just pen and paper. I actually bought testdayscratch's pad for $25. It was a little pricey, but well worth it for me. If you don't want to buy it, that's fine too. At least experience the pad or something similar before you take the test. To me it was a huge difference.

5) Don't despair. Know that GMAT doesn't have a brick wall. Any studying, using the right resources, gets you closer to your goal.

I hope that helps, even if only a bit. This will most likely be my final post. I just wanted to give a little back to this site, which has given me a lot of good direction. If anything in this post helps a future Gmat-taker get a few more points or even one point, this post would have fulfilled its purpose. Good luck everyone!

Update (3/14/07): I am SELLING almost all my Gmat study materials. I don't think that I will be needing them anymore =). Hopefully they will be of good use to the next person. I want to let them go for relatively low prices, preferably all together so I don't have to make multiple mailings. Please note that they all have writings and answers in them, mainly the hard problems, but they are in excellent condition and still helpful as a starting point. Please PM me if you are interested.

1. Official Gmat Review - 11th Ed. Orange
2. Official Gmat Quantitative Review - (latest ed.) Green
3. Official Gmat Verbal Review - (latest ed.) Purple
4. Kaplan Gmat Course Book (w/ Practice CD) - My starting book; got it from the actual Kaplan Gmat course. Great for concept learning for people scoring under 700.
5. Princeton Review - Cracking the Gmat 2007 (w/ 2 online CATs; I never use these 2 CATs) - A great starting book. Some nifty tricks for scores under 700.
6. Replica Gmat eraseable notepad from Testdayscratch - this one is mint condition. I can easily sell this one separately.
7. In case you were wondering, I am keeping: Manhattan SC, Strunk and White's Elements of Style.

Again, PM me if you are interested, especially in all the books together. Good luck!

Congrats dude
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2007, 05:20
A late congratulation from me as well! And thanks for the great advices. They are very practical and helpful.

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

VP
VP
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: 2nd Attempt - 780 (Q50, V46) 3/1/07 up from 710 [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2007, 06:07
rakesh.id wrote:
farseer wrote:
Those are simply get the right study materials- OG11, Green, Purple, GMATPrep, Manhattan SC, some extra math practice (either Gmatclub challenges or Manhattan CATs will do; however, they are harder than the actual GMAT, and in the case of Manhattan math problems, much much harder

Green is the OG for quant, and purple is the OG for verbal.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2007, 02:03
Congrats on the super score! Also gives me inspiration for being willing to put in a second attempt if need be. I take my first exam in 7 days and I've followed a similar path with the study material (except I'm regretting that I don't have the Manhattan SC book).

Question for you though. I have 2 PPrep exams left and i have the Purple/Green OG guides as well. I will be completely finished with the OG11 in 2 days. So my question is this... since I'm running late on time (another reason that I may take the exam a 2nd time), are the last 50 questions in the Purple/Green guides the only ones worth doing? Or do you remember? It's a total of 600 questions and I'm not sure if I can get through all those, plus the two PPrep exams all in 5-6 days...I'd really like to just chill and review old mistakes on the last day before the exam.

Any suggestions/comments appreciated! I've taken the GMATPrep and scored 680 (Q47, V37) - SC's suprisingly kicked my butt!
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2007, 17:10
raconteur wrote:
Question for you though. I have 2 PPrep exams left and i have the Purple/Green OG guides as well. I will be completely finished with the OG11 in 2 days. So my question is this... since I'm running late on time (another reason that I may take the exam a 2nd time), are the last 50 questions in the Purple/Green guides the only ones worth doing? Or do you remember? It's a total of 600 questions and I'm not sure if I can get through all those, plus the two PPrep exams all in 5-6 days...I'd really like to just chill and review old mistakes on the last day before the exam.

Since you're in the 680's, I would definitely do the last 100 (last 1/3) of Green/Purple. I did every single verbal since I couldn't judge verbal difficulty very well, but only the last 1/3 of math (Green and Orange). Yeah, chilling is definitely what I did the day before the actual test. Good luck.
  [#permalink] 08 Apr 2007, 17:10