Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 00:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2nd Attempt - Failed. Need your advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
2nd Attempt - Failed. Need your advice [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2007, 18:03
I took the GMAT on Saturday and scored a very disappointing
Overall 630
Math 37
Verbal 39

I really don’t know what happened. My practice scores have all been at or above 700, I felt confident in my ability leading up to the test, I’m just so confused as to how I blew it. I took the GMAT last June and scored a 650 (M 44/V 35). Disappointed, I geared up and studied for 2 months to get the 700 I’m hoping for. I’m aiming for top 15 schools, but I wonder at this point if I even belong in these schools.

GMAT cyberfriends, I need your advice. What should I do? I am so friggin ticked off right now, I want to show this test it cannot defeat me. But I am doubting my ability to succeed on game day. I get so nervous, I can’t concentrate properly during the test. It doesn’t help that the entire week before the test, I was fighting a lot with my S.O. and it took an extreme emotional toll on me, I couldn’t sleep or eat, and finally had to knock myself out with an over the counter sleep medication the night before the test so salvage some sanity. I think this may have had an effect on my ability to perform during the test.

Anyway, enough about the drama. Here is a synopsis of my studies. Please let me know:
1. If you think I went wrong somewhere
2. If you think I should re-take
3. If yes to #2, then when?
4. If I suck and should just consider alternative options to top 15 schools

2+ months studying 20 hours a week.
I have gone through OG twice, carefully, reading all explanations and understanding my mistakes.
Continuously did problems from the 1000 sets in groups of 10-15 at a time, timed of course.
MGMAT SC and Word Problem books
I tried to focus on quality rather than quantity during my studies, understanding why the correct answer was correct EVERY TIME. I think this really helped me improve my test scores and hit rate on practice Q’s
One mistake I might have made was not focusing enough on Math. I would say my focus was 80/20 verbal/math. While, I am not quant superstar, I was comfortable with my math skills and how I was scoring on practice tests that I didn’t want to spend too much time on it, instead focusing on Verbal since it was such a weakness the first time I took the test.
Practice Test Scores (all within last 2 mos.):
GMATPrep #1
Overall: 720
Math: 46
Verbal: 42
GMATPrep #1 retake
Overall: 730
Math: 47
Verbal: 44

GMATPrep #2
Overall 750
Math 47
Verbal 47

MGMAT CAT
Overall: 700
Math 43
Verbal 42

In my GMAT prep tests I even scaled my score using ncprasad’s false positive adjustment – deducting 0.5 for each false positive, and my scores were still around 45/43 for both math/verbal.

WHAT HAPPENED??????????????
WHAT SHOULD I DO??????????

I’m so bummed right now. I would consider waiting a month and re-taking. I think it would be a mistake to wait too long, I’ve done so much studying already. Additionally, my schedule is about to get crazy busy. If I do re-take, I feel like I’m out of practice content, particularly tests. I’ve exhausted most practice tests. But is there a point in even trying given my two performances?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2007, 19:34
Hi there,
I can see a couple of potential problem spots in the prep model that you outlined above.

1. You solved the 1000 SC/CR/RC documents in sets of 10-15.
Quote:
Continuously did problems from the 1000 sets in groups of 10-15 at a time, timed of course.

10-15 questions in a set are simply too few to be effective. You should be solving questions in sets of 20 - 40 (timed of course). Practising with larger sets improves your stamina and gets you prepared for the 3 1/2 marathon that the GMAT is. Also, make sure that you are getting most of your questions right! There is no point in solving 30 questions in 30 minutes and getting 15 wrong. Your hit rate should ideally be 90+.

2. You spent a disproportionate amount of time on verbal.
Quote:
One mistake I might have made was not focusing enough on Math. I would say my focus was 80/20 verbal/math.

A verbal score of 39 while not stellar, is neverthless good. However, a quant score of 37 is simply below average. A good quant score would be in the range of 45+. So make sure that you do not neglect quant in the future. (On the other hand, don't spend too much time on quant and neglect verbal!). Balance out your studying and make sure that you don't leave a section untouched for more than 2 days in a row.

Hope that helps! All the best with your prep.

- Kripal
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2007, 21:53
I am very sorry to hear this news. I know for sure that your verbal score is closer to 45+ than 39. I do not think you should judge your candidacy for top 15 schools based on your GMAT score. There are many other soft skills that are more important for success in business school and beyond. One of those skills is the ability to bounce back from failures.

I am sure that with some honest introspection and sustained yet balanced preparation you would be able to secure a GMAT score consistent with your abilities. Dont give up!

Take a break from GMAT and this club for a couple of weeks. Have fun, recharge your batteries and then come back fresh with the attitude that you will do well the next time. May be this is a blessing in disguise. Your GMAT ordeal and how you overcame it can provide good fodder for your essays. You are not alone! Look through the GMAT experience threads, you will find enough inspiration.

Kripal made some good observations. Keep them in mind for next time. Please feel free to reach out to me if you need help planning for the next exam.

Hang tight!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Mental Game [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2007, 22:10
You have a 700-range verbal score (88%).
However, your quantative score is dragging you down this time (53%).

If you can keep your verbal performance (39+) and get a 45-48 Q score, you should be above 700.

To answer your questions:
1. If you think I went wrong somewhere
2. If you think I should re-take
3. If yes to #2, then when?
4. If I suck and should just consider alternative options to top 15 schools

For (1), from what I read the biggest problem for you is mental game (exam technique). Your GMATprep scores are very good, for some reason you cannot bring your prep CAT performance to the real test. You have done an excellent job to prepare for the test (went through OG twice, studied for two months intensively and focused studies on quality.

I only have one question for you: From your own analysis, is there anything addition that can make you feel better and more confident on the test date?

You should try avoid having medication before the night. Next time try to schedule a time that works best for you (maybe late in the afternoon?) so you don't have the pressure going to sleep the night before.

For (2), yes you should retake. You just need to perform in the real test.

For (3), up to you. From study perspective you are ready. Of course there is room for improvement, but that is not the biggest factor. You should pick a date and time that you feel most comfortable (i.e., less stress). Since you cannot take more than once a month, your closest date will be 4 weeks from now. I suggest before you schedule the next exam, write down exactly every small detail you want to do (prepare, study) before the exam, then estimate how much time you need for each activity. Hopefully this should help reduce your stress level as now you are well prepared.

For (4), if you have other things to demonstrate your acadamic capabilities, depends on program (EMBA for example) some top-15 schools may take scores from different exams. In your case, your best combination is Q44+V39, these two alone would be at least 680-690 or maybe 700. You can point this out in your applications. 650 is a mid-80% score for most scores already. I'd apply both top-15 schools and have some other schools for backup purpose.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2007, 00:20
Maybe my post will help:

It's topic 42852. I can't post urls since I have less than 10 posts.

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=42852 ... Here it is, Fig :)
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2007, 01:23
Hi buckkitty, good luck on your next attempt, I am sure you will do well if you sleep well the night before, as your MGMAT cat has shown, most people say the math is pretty tough, and you got a 700 on that. Not having enough sleep can seriously screw up math performance. I have had that happen to me before.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2007, 05:35
Sorry to hear about your experience. Now that you know what was wrong, you would do well the next time. All the best!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2007, 06:05
How did you go through the OG TWICE in two months, studying 20 hours a week? Are you saying you did every single problem in the OG twice? Maybe I'm just really slow but it took me two months to go through the OG once, and I didn't spend too much time figuring out why I missed problems either.

Based on your GMAT Prep scores, I would say that you just had a bad day, I'm sure you'll do great if you spend another month studying and retake. Don't underestimate the toll that was taken by the conflict in your personal life, I could imagine that would be very mentally draining.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2007, 07:15
Thanks all for the encouraging words.

Quote:
How did you go through the OG TWICE in two months, studying 20 hours a week? Are you saying you did every single problem in the OG twice? Maybe I'm just really slow but it took me two months to go through the OG once, and I didn't spend too much time figuring out why I missed problems either.

First, let me clarify, I went through OG completely the first time I took the exam. The second attempt I went through it again, and even re-visited highlighted problems. This didn’t take nearly as long as the first run through.

Quote:
From your own analysis, is there anything addition that can make you feel better and more confident on the test date?

This is a really good question, perhaps I have not asked myself this before. Other than the personal issues, assuming that would not be a factor again, I think I would feel more confident if I could improve at performing under pressure. I think I know the tested concepts pretty well. But GMAT does not test whether you know the concepts, it tests how well you know them and more importantly, how quickly you can identify and execute. I should probably have done more intense timed practicing to feel better about this. I’m just so surprised by my math score. I actually thought I did OK after the Math section! But I know that my mind was not in it, I was sleep deprived and stressed, making it difficult to evaluate the situation.

I should also clarify that I was doing 10-15 questions from each type of practice set(SC/CR/RC) for a total of 30-40 questions at a time. Perhaps I just did not do enough of this?? It was not with regularity that I did more than 50 questions in a day.

My question is, if I do re-take, what materials should I study from?

People have opinions whether the 1000 question sets are real or even appropriate to use. Some say that Manhattan GMAT material is unrealistic. I’m out of ETS paper tests, I’ve taken GMATPrep tests. The Math questions on the forum here only leave me more confused sometimes. I think the level of questions is fairly high, and I tend to get bogged down in complex concepts. What do you guys think?
  [#permalink] 05 Mar 2007, 07:15