Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 21:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2nd deadline Fall '14 or Spring '15 or Fall '15? 700-GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

2nd deadline Fall '14 or Spring '15 or Fall '15? 700-GMAT [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2013, 05:57
***Removed***

Last edited by michelangelo88 on 25 Mar 2014, 13:44, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Schools: HBS '16, Fuqua
GMAT 1: 510 Q25 V36
GMAT 2: 510 Q29 V31
WE: Research (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: 2nd deadline Fall '14 or Spring '15 or Fall '15? 700-GMAT [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2013, 11:00
If you a GMAT score and your recommenders lined up don't see why you can't apply to one or two schools in January.

In terms of visas can you apply for round three and get your visas sorted in time to start the uk school year. If so, don't see why you can't apply for round three.

Would shorten your list down as quickly as possible.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Re: 2nd deadline Fall '14 or Spring '15 or Fall '15? 700-GMAT [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2013, 03:11
I would prefer not to apply for round 3, as the schools have already filled up to near 80% by then.
Application work is going at full steam, as I work on the common questions.
My Recommenders are ready, LORs, not so much.

Working on shortening down the list, but I feel like applying to most of them.
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 456 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2nd deadline Fall '14 or Spring '15 or Fall '15? 700-GMAT [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2013, 01:02
Expert's post
mjumrani wrote:
Hi

I understand this question might have been asked multiple times, but I have to ask it again nonetheless.

I gave my GMAT very recently and got a 700 (48Q, 38V, 6.0 AWA).
I am from the IT sector in India, working as a developer with a major IT services MNC.
Besides coding, my work involves a lot interaction with the clients. Up until now they have been 3 of the Top 25 companies (worldwide), and my interaction have been with the US/UK/Swiss offices. (This is where my international professional experience ends)
I also, unofficially, have had 2-3 juniors to mentor during the work period, this has mostly happened in the last 1.5 year.
I will have 4.75 years of work experience at Matriculation for Fall '14 or 5 years of work experience at Matriculation for Spring '15.
My extra curricular is average and my undergrad score isn't that brilliant, with only a first division and no distinction.

My primary targets are UK and Europe closely followed by US.

Now I know the deadlines are approaching really fast, and should be here for the schools I am targeting.
I have started work in my application for those, though the schedule is very tight.

One problem, which I have been told, is that I do not want to settle for anything less than a premier school, while I should also be looking at mid level schools as my score isnt that brilliant.

The situation in my head is simple, I need to do my MBA and now is the right time. And if I am about to spend 60000GBP on an education, I will not settle for anything less than a royalty/premier institute. It is not important that how many people from the country or industry have applied. The only thing that is important is that the admissions council opens my application and then sees if it has any merits instead of just downright rejecting it.
(Note: Royalty is relative to the host country and is based also on worldwide reputation and not on the rankings)

So my questions are simple,

1. Should I apply for the premier schools during the second deadline? (assuming I apply before the deadline)
2. Are there premier schools which have a spring '15 batch? Is it worth applying for?
3. Should I wait till Fall '15 and apply before the 1st deadline for the schools? (Frankly, I do not think I would be willing to wait that long)
4. What should be my realistic expectations from my applications to the schools?
5. Based on my profile, which schools would be best suited for a highly probable and successful application? (Only schools with at least 1 internship)
6. Any comments, positive or negative, are welcome.

(Note: I have gone through the profiles of most of the major schools one can think of, and I am satisfied with what all of them are offering, especially the electives)

Some of the schools I'm looking at in no particular order, (Yes, they are mostly dream schools)
  • LBS
  • Oxford
  • Cambridge
  • Imperial
  • INSEAD
  • IMD
  • HEC
  • St. Gallens
  • IE
  • IESE
  • ESADE
  • Mannheim
  • Cass
  • Cranfield
  • Manchester
  • Warwick
  • NY Stern
  • CMU Tepper
  • Duke
  • Yale
  • Darden
  • Kellogg
  • Maryland
  • Cornell
  • Anderson
  • Tulane
  • Wharton
  • Chicago Booth
  • Baruch
  • Brown
  • Dartmouth

Well, you have some European schools which are going to have their deadlines right now for next year, so I'd say start with those and work your way forward with the idea of eventually applying to US schools in R1 of 2014 (it's too late now for the US schools otherwise). You have a lot of schools on your list and it seems pretty open-minded ultimately (although I guess you won't be able to apply to ALL the schools). The thing you need to think about though is your OVERALL strategy. Meaning let's say you apply to HEC now and it's your first school and you get in, and you haven't had the chance to apply to any US schools, do you go? Or do you prefer US schools, and only start applying in summer, and do the Euro schools after? It's really just a matter of personal (and professional) preference, but this is something you definitely want to be thinking about before you come up with any final decisions on your schools.

Since you seem to prefer Euro schools, I guess you might as well start with them now… but let me know your thoughts…

Best,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | The Team | Get a Free Consultation | 2013-2014 Essay Analyses

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Re: 2nd deadline Fall '14 or Spring '15 or Fall '15? 700-GMAT [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2013, 06:50
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Well, you have some European schools which are going to have their deadlines right now for next year, so I'd say start with those and work your way forward with the idea of eventually applying to US schools in R1 of 2014 (it's too late now for the US schools otherwise). You have a lot of schools on your list and it seems pretty open-minded ultimately (although I guess you won't be able to apply to ALL the schools). The thing you need to think about though is your OVERALL strategy. Meaning let's say you apply to HEC now and it's your first school and you get in, and you haven't had the chance to apply to any US schools, do you go? Or do you prefer US schools, and only start applying in summer, and do the Euro schools after? It's really just a matter of personal (and professional) preference, but this is something you definitely want to be thinking about before you come up with any final decisions on your schools.

Since you seem to prefer Euro schools, I guess you might as well start with them now… but let me know your thoughts…

Best,
JF

Thank you for your response.

I have shortened down the list significantly and I am applying to every school in the new list. I would have preferred to apply to US schools as well but I feel I'm quite late in that regard and sadly most premier schools dont have spring '15 intake, in fact I don't know of any one which does.
It is very hard to ignore any premier school, where the course and culture matches with my personality and ambitions, courtesy my GMAT score.
With my current speed I am finishing 3-4 essays (250-500 words each) a day. Proof-reading and refinement takes a while.

Many European schools as well as a lot of US schools have their second deadline in the next 15 days. The information I am getting is that 2nd deadline in Europe is still doable, but unlike in Europe, the acceptance rate reduces drastically in US during the second deadline as most of the seats have already been filled (Unless cohort size is quite big). Plus I do not, and will probably not wait beyond Spring '15 to start my MBA.
So is it even worth applying to? If yes then which US schools?

I couldn't get a list of good to great schools which have a Spring '15 intake for MBA. Where can I get this list?

My current strategy is to apply and continue applying until I get an offer letter, and even after that continue applying till I am near the deadline to accept the offer from a good school and make a deposit.
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 456 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2nd deadline Fall '14 or Spring '15 or Fall '15? 700-GMAT [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2013, 09:12
Expert's post
mjumrani wrote:

I have shortened down the list significantly and I am applying to every school in the new list. I would have preferred to apply to US schools as well but I feel I'm quite late in that regard and sadly most premier schools dont have spring '15 intake, in fact I don't know of any one which does.
It is very hard to ignore any premier school, where the course and culture matches with my personality and ambitions, courtesy my GMAT score.
With my current speed I am finishing 3-4 essays (250-500 words each) a day. Proof-reading and refinement takes a while.

Many European schools as well as a lot of US schools have their second deadline in the next 15 days. The information I am getting is that 2nd deadline in Europe is still doable, but unlike in Europe, the acceptance rate reduces drastically in US during the second deadline as most of the seats have already been filled (Unless cohort size is quite big). Plus I do not, and will probably not wait beyond Spring '15 to start my MBA.

I couldn't get a list of good to great schools which have a Spring '15 intake for MBA. Where can I get this list?

My current strategy is to apply and continue applying until I get an offer letter, and even after that continue applying till I am near the deadline to accept the offer from a good school and make a deposit.

Hello there good sir,
A few things I'd like to comment on in your post. First of all, the information you have been getting regarding last round deadlines in the US is totally true. The majority of the places are filled, and its suicide especially as an international applicant to apply R3, so you are probably better off holding on to those schools for R1 next year.

You wrote also in your post that "With my current speed I am finishing 3-4 essays (250-500 words each) a day." Now I don't want to overstep what I know, but in all likelihood if you are FINISHING your essays that quick, they probably aren't coming out that polished or precise. Rather than apply to EVERY single school you like if you are stressed for time, it will probably be far better to apply to LESS schools but with better applications. Soooooo, see how that fits into your goals and your schedule. Of course it could also be the case that you are a totally fantastic writer and you only need a draft and a half to get to a perfect essay, but in my experience it's pretty rare. And even for the best writer, it takes time to properly compose and introspect.

Also keep in mind that it's not THIRD round that is disastrous but LAST round (some schools have 4, 5, even 7 rounds), so you can still apply to schools like Babson, Kelly, Broad, Madison, Jones, Rotman, Judge in less than last rounds.

For January programs there are a bunch (you can google all of them) but the most prestigious are HEC and INSEAD.

I think that should be enough to keep you busy for a while…

:)

Best,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | The Team | Get a Free Consultation | 2013-2014 Essay Analyses

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Re: 2nd deadline Fall '14 or Spring '15 or Fall '15? 700-GMAT [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2014, 16:25
JonAdmissionado wrote:
mjumrani wrote:

Hello there good sir,
A few things I'd like to comment on in your post. First of all, the information you have been getting regarding last round deadlines in the US is totally true. The majority of the places are filled, and its suicide especially as an international applicant to apply R3, so you are probably better off holding on to those schools for R1 next year.

You wrote also in your post that "With my current speed I am finishing 3-4 essays (250-500 words each) a day." Now I don't want to overstep what I know, but in all likelihood if you are FINISHING your essays that quick, they probably aren't coming out that polished or precise. Rather than apply to EVERY single school you like if you are stressed for time, it will probably be far better to apply to LESS schools but with better applications. Soooooo, see how that fits into your goals and your schedule. Of course it could also be the case that you are a totally fantastic writer and you only need a draft and a half to get to a perfect essay, but in my experience it's pretty rare. And even for the best writer, it takes time to properly compose and introspect.

Also keep in mind that it's not THIRD round that is disastrous but LAST round (some schools have 4, 5, even 7 rounds), so you can still apply to schools like Babson, Kelly, Broad, Madison, Jones, Rotman, Judge in less than last rounds.

For January programs there are a bunch (you can google all of them) but the most prestigious are HEC and INSEAD.

I think that should be enough to keep you busy for a while…

:)

Best,
JF

Applied to a couple of schools already as deadlines come think and fast.

My essay speed is due to limited of sleep, so more time to work on the essays. Its easier for me to write an essay when I know which topics to touch in that essay and they come out pretty well. If I do not know how to approach an essay, then it becomes a serious problem, so that takes a while.

I was not able to find the schools which start a batch in spring '15 in US.

Some essays really screw up with my head. Drawing a blank on 2 essays at the moment. But this will pass
Re: 2nd deadline Fall '14 or Spring '15 or Fall '15? 700-GMAT   [#permalink] 05 Jan 2014, 16:25