Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 19:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2nd Manhattan GMAT CAT - Score went down

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
2nd Manhattan GMAT CAT - Score went down [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2008, 20:20
I must say that I'm devastated. I took my first Manhattan GMAT CAT on 3/23 and I got a Q36/V35 for a Total Score of 600. I took this test without any preparation whatsoever and I thought I was pretty much slacking for the most part.

Today, I took my 2nd Manhattan GMAT CAT and I received Q39/V33 for a total score of 590. This is after 3 weeks of studying. I am also enrolled in Manhattan GMAT's 9-week prep course.

So far, the class has focused primarily on Quant and perhaps that may be the reason for the score imbalance. I just couldn't believe that my verbal went down, and that for the most part I am still scoring in the same range.

Has anyone else taken Manhattan GMAT's prep class? What has been your experience? I have 6 weeks of the class left, and an additional 3 weeks set aside for self-study before my test date of June 27th. I really need to get my scores into the 720+ range for the schools that I am targetting and I just feel so discouraged right now.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 434 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2nd Manhattan GMAT CAT - Score went down [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2008, 02:07
Hey terp - dont be discouraged. Those MGMAT tests are tougher than the real thing. I've seen you work hard and participate in the forums. Keep doing that. I am sure you're scores will go up.

Good luck.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: R1:Cornell, Yale, NYU. R2: Haas, MIT, Ross
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2nd Manhattan GMAT CAT - Score went down [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2008, 03:11
Hey, dontg be discouraged, I took the MGMAT first time scored 600 as well, second time my score dropped to 570. I am also enrolled in the MGMAT class , dont worry, it happens because u are applying new techniques taught during the program and you are a tad slower. Basically its like typing, you do it one way and become proficient in that technique, then you enroll at typing school and they teach you another technique so you become slower and less proficient. Your score will go up dont worry once you go through more practice questions and get used to the material. Mine went up to 650 on my third try!
Trust me you are on the right path.
Good Luck!!!!
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2nd Manhattan GMAT CAT - Score went down [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2008, 06:55
ventivish wrote:
Hey, dontg be discouraged, I took the MGMAT first time scored 600 as well, second time my score dropped to 570. I am also enrolled in the MGMAT class , dont worry, it happens because u are applying new techniques taught during the program and you are a tad slower. Basically its like typing, you do it one way and become proficient in that technique, then you enroll at typing school and they teach you another technique so you become slower and less proficient. Your score will go up dont worry once you go through more practice questions and get used to the material. Mine went up to 650 on my third try!
Trust me you are on the right path.
Good Luck!!!!

This was encouraging. Would you mind sharing what the timeline was for these tests? Did you take the first one prior to the start of the class? Around which class session did you take the 2nd and 3rd?

I'm just gonna hit the books the whole day today and keep at it through next week. It was a downer to see the score yesterday, but also a motivator. I think I can crack this if I really want to and I am going to pump in enormous amounts of time to accomplish it.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: R1:Cornell, Yale, NYU. R2: Haas, MIT, Ross
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2nd Manhattan GMAT CAT - Score went down [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2008, 08:03
Hey I took my first test during the second week of the mgmat class. I took the second exam around my 6th class.I then did the third one at the end of the 9 week class. I did not have time to review my concepts or anything it was more to gauge my level at each point. Yeah I have 4 weeks to my exam and am finding it pretty hard to motivate my self considering ive been at this for 2.5 mnths now. Well u know what they say if you dont believe in yourself then who will? Just try figuring out your weakness and improving these, also implement milestones that you can meet. Right now I know my verbal scores are weak so i practice these alot, i also simultaneously do the gmatclub tests which kick my butt each time so I dont become complacent in quants. Good luck I am sure you can crack the GMAT!!!
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2nd Manhattan GMAT CAT - Score went down [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2008, 08:39
yes terp dont feel discouraged...i have seen the effort you are putting in...specially in verbal.....jus chill dude....700 is following you!!!
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2nd Manhattan GMAT CAT - Score went down [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2008, 10:52
I'm spending the whole day today focusing on Reading Comprehension and Sentence Correction. RC is my biggest weak spot at the present time, whereas Critical Reasoning is my strongest area.

Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2nd Manhattan GMAT CAT - Score went down [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2008, 16:41
terp, my scores on MGMAT were significantly lower than what I scored on the Powerprep and GMATpreps, as well as my actual exam. Don't use the MGMAT CATs as a true indicator of your progress. They are useful for learning concepts, and that's what you have to keep in mind, for both the quant and the verbal. Keep working through them and the books in the course, and then when you're ready, graduate to the Powerpreps and GMATpreps for true score indicators.

...there ain't no such thing as a free lunch...

Re: 2nd Manhattan GMAT CAT - Score went down   [#permalink] 19 Apr 2008, 16:41