Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 21:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2nd recommender choice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

2nd recommender choice [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2009, 20:53
I have a good rec from my direct supervisor, and now for the second rec I have a choice between:
1) another supervisor whom I barely worked with
2) coworker who worked with me extensively in a team setting
I've only had one job so I don't have previous bosses to ask for recs.

The problem with 1) is that it won't add much content, and the problem with 2) is that it's--from what I've heard a couple people say--not 'professional' and it's going to be frowned upon by adcoms.

what do you guys think??
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: 2nd recommender choice [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2009, 21:40
are you a recent grad? if so, do you have a professor or someone from your university who can write one for you? i was 2 years out, and i actually used 2 professors from my undergrad for LORs (one was a professor i had, and one was a professor i worked for).

if you can't do this (or if you're too far removed from undergrad), then i would say do the other supervisor. normally you'd want the person who knows you best to write your LORs. However, you also don't want a peer writing your LOR. it should generally be someone who is your superior (either a direct supervisor or indirect supervisor). there may be exceptions, but a coworker/teammate is not a good idea IMO.

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 2nd recommender choice [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2009, 21:54
I am a recent grad and thought of getting a prof to write a rec for me. However, I looked at the recommendation questions and don't think they'll be able to answer the questions since there were no team projects in my classes and I didn't work with the professors closely so they didn't get to know me well.

I have done some tutoring and admissions counseling over the years, but not through a company (I found my students through referrals)... do you think one of these "clients" could be a possibility?
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: 2nd recommender choice [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2009, 05:31
If you are a recent grad, didn't you do any internships while in school? If so, why not reach out to one of the supervisors that you worked directly during one of these internships. I would probably use that rather than getting one from a supervisor that you don't have much working relationship with.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas, Booth, Kellogg, Stanford
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

Re: 2nd recommender choice [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2009, 08:48
I would be wary to have one of your peers write you a LOR, especially since you are a recent grad. I would agree with nink and try to get one from a past internship. What about your extraccurriculars? Could you ask a supervisor or someone who you worked closely with there? I would say your best option would be #1 from the two, but I would definitely sit down with the supervisor and clearly state your goals and admission points so he/she can articulate that in the LOR.

Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.
- Norman Cousins

Re: 2nd recommender choice   [#permalink] 24 Nov 2009, 08:48