Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:56 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
Re: 3.19 UG GPA: Legitimate concern or am I overworrying? [#permalink]
Kudos
Given (a) that you had multiple failing grades on your record and (b) that your overall GPA is ~3.2, my guess is that you did pretty well in all of your other classes. So, despite your overall GPA, there might be some hope here. Here are some basic rules to how MBA admissions interprets situations like yours:

- They will look at your overall GPA and will expect you to provide an explanation as to why you failed these classes. Please do not go into intense details about what went wrong; keep your discussion focused and direct. These are people reading your application so they understand that all lives do not happen in perfect harmony.
- Admissions will look at your performance during the last two years of college as these grades are more reflective of the person that you are today rather than the person who you were when you were a freshman in college (remember that you were most probably a very distracted 18 year old at the time). So, if your grades do show improving trends, then this is actually a good scenario (it would be much worse if your grades started off high and then got worse over time).
- You are correct about your GMAT score being important and that you have to perform well on it; if you are shooting for the schools listed in your posting - I would say a minimum of 700 would be acceptable. Also try to make sure that you score above the 75th percent in both verbal and quant as this is the way that you can further demonstrate that you will be able to handle the academic demands of this program.

As for what you need to do in your application:
- Explain what happened with your academics; however, do not write a dissertation about it. Keep it focused and direct.
- Do not dwell too much on this matter on your application -- business school applications are much more about what you want to do than what you did.
- Make sure that you mention what you learned from your academic experiences (specifically the less than stellar ones) and how you have used this information to your advantage in both school and work.
- Do not make apologies about your performance - nothing is less attractive than an application full of excuses and apologies

I work with candidates every year who face similar problems and from my experience, the following schools seemed most receptive last year.
- Ross, Fuqua, Johnson, Booth and Anderson (although a bit less receptive last year than in the past)
- Schools that seem to have no tolerance to people in your situation include: HBS, Stanford, Columbia, Berkeley, Yale and Darden.
- Schools with mixed records on such candidates include; Wharton, MIT, Tuck, NYU and Kellogg

Good luck.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
ManhattanReview wrote:

I work with candidates every year who face similar problems and from my experience, the following schools seemed most receptive last year.
- Ross, Fuqua, Johnson, Booth and Anderson (although a bit less receptive last year than in the past)
- Schools that seem to have no tolerance to people in your situation include: HBS, Stanford, Columbia, Berkeley, Yale and Darden.
- Schools with mixed records on such candidates include; Wharton, MIT, Tuck, NYU and Kellogg

I am in a similar boat. I have a low undergrad GPA (3.0) but I did pursue grad school after that to focus on my area of interest and graduated with 3.75 (and a thesis/published paper)....not that it is an apples to apples comparison but does that help my case? GMAT was decent but not spectacular, 88th percentile. I do address my undergrad GPA in the essays.... Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [2]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
I have a 3.03 GPA and a few F's on my transcript. Granted it is in engineering at a top engineering school so that might have helped. Either way, I got accepted to Columbia and an interview invite to Booth today. Knock the GMAT out of the park and it will really help. Anything is possible with a good explanation you just need a strong GMAT score to help them overlook the GPA.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Thank you guys so much for your informative responses. As a matter of pure curiosity, is undergrad GPA used in MBA ranking systems the way GMAT scores are? I'm interested because if not, adcoms could look at GPA purely holistically, whereas if it is used in rankings, they would have to be more conscious of making sure they don't let the median or mean fall too low.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Kudos
Your undergraduate GPA is something you can't change, so at this point is does you no good to worry about it. As stated above, the GMAT can help compensate for a low undergrad GPA. If you do well on other aspects of the application it will hopefully make up for GPA mishaps.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
kdog28 wrote:
Thank you guys so much for your informative responses. As a matter of pure curiosity, is undergrad GPA used in MBA ranking systems the way GMAT scores are? I'm interested because if not, adcoms could look at GPA purely holistically, whereas if it is used in rankings, they would have to be more conscious of making sure they don't let the median or mean fall too low.

Yes, undergraduate GPA is used as a mathematical factor in (arguably) the largest business school ranking: US News.

Source: https://www.usnews.com/education/best-gr ... l-rankings
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
If the Fs were in quant classes like stats or calculus then it's a good idea to retake those classes at either a community college or reputable online extension program.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
3.19 gpa is certainly not a deal breaker by any means. I know people who have done far worse in undergraduate than you did. Like others have said, there will be greater emphasis on your GMAT score and you should be targetting a 700 plus there. With your finance background, I would expect you to score well on the quant section as well.
GMAT Club Bot