Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 04:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

3.2gpa / 660gmat / no business experience

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: HKUST, MBS, USC, Hawaii, UCSD
WE 1: Education
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

3.2gpa / 660gmat / no business experience [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2010, 20:59
Age - 28 at matriculation
Gender - Caucasian Male
Nationality - United States

Undergrad - CUNY - City College of New York
Major - Economics
GPA - 3.2 (with 2.7 community college transfer)

Work Experience : For three years I have been teaching English in rural Japan on an international exchange program run by the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs ... For the last two years I've managed to work my way up to being the regional adviser on the same program. In the same time I've gone from zero to moderately fluent Japanese. I've passed the highest level of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test.

Extracurriculars: My whole life here in Japan feels like an extracurricular activity. Been heavily involved in the community and promoting international exchange. Everything from Japanese archery to speaking at the local rotary club.

Career goals : Either finance or general international business. Either way focused on Asia, particularly Japan.

International Business

Short - Supply chain or some sort of global strategy analyst in fortune 100 company.
Long - Global Strategy Manager

Finance

Short - Corporate finance analyst
Long - Associate, Manager

Schools :

Safe-
CUNY Baruch
University of Hawaii

Stretches-
HKUST
TEXAS

Dreams-
NYU
Columbia

So I'm wondering what you think of my chances here. I have a 660 on the GMAT, 3.2 GPA, and no business experience. However, I think I have interesting work experience and have a proven ability to adapt to a foreign environment.. I want to get into international business so I am hoping that side of my experience stands out the most in my application. I also have strong letters of recommendation lined up. So tell me what you think. What other range of schools should I consider?

Thanks
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: 3.2gpa / 660gmat / no business experience [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2010, 21:17
I can only comment on a couple of things.

With a 3.2 and 660, you're probably going to be facing a very steep hill against Columbia, which is a school that's very focused in applicant's number. NYU has a bigger range in terms of accepted students, but know that both of your numbers are on the lower end, which will be harder as well. So ultimately, NYU and Columbia are going to be super stretches (also given the fact that your little WE).

Another suggestion: if you're gearing for international business, check out Thunderbird.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: HKUST, MBS, USC, Hawaii, UCSD
WE 1: Education
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: 3.2gpa / 660gmat / no business experience [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2010, 23:16
Thanks for the suggestion on Thunderbird. Looks like it might be a good fit for me.

What do you think about HKUST?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: 3.2gpa / 660gmat / no business experience [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2010, 06:19
I personally think HKUST is a good fit for you. It beats all the schools in the US (at least the ones on your list) simply because your focus post-MBA is in Asia. With HKUST, you'll be immersed in and around the Asian economy already.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: 3.2gpa / 660gmat / no business experience   [#permalink] 24 Oct 2010, 06:19