Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 06:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

3.49 GPA, 3 years WE, bad math grad, no GMAT...Advice??

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

3.49 GPA, 3 years WE, bad math grad, no GMAT...Advice?? [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2011, 15:24
OK, so I'm in at a top 10 law school deferred. However, I would rather attend a business school. I have not taken the GMAT but think I can study to a good score as I got 99% on the LSAT and SAT. I could be wrong on that, and that's not the real point. Here's the deal: basically, law school admissions is all about numbers, whereas B-school is not. My problem is that my math grades in college were a D in Calc 2 (decided to take it due to some misguided notion to "challenge myself" after not taking any math sourses since AP Calc three years before) and a B+ in Accounting. I did pretty well in my econ courses (I was an Econ/English double major), but I'm worried that those two math grades will hold me back even if I do well on the GMAT. What do you guys think about this? I have 1 year good volunteer work with a business angle, and two solid years of managerial work experience (nothing prestigious like consulting or anything, though). What sort of GMAT do I need to get to get into a school like Northwestern, Duke, Michigan, Virginia, Dartmouth, UNC, NYU, Texas, Berkeley, Columbia - the schools I'm particularly interested in. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 3.49 GPA, 3 years WE, bad math grad, no GMAT...Advice?? [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2011, 18:48
Trying to figure out if it's worth spending the next couple months studying for the GMAT. Give me some thoughts here folks. Thanks. Also, I know I posted something previously with different stats and WE, but that was for someone else. I was doing research on his behalf. This is the real deal now.
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 37

Re: 3.49 GPA, 3 years WE, bad math grad, no GMAT...Advice?? [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2011, 05:24
It's really hard to say. As you mentioned, law school is pretty much all about number, while b-school isn't. With that said, one factor can't (such as a D in calculus) can't really determine your possibility. From what I can see, you obviously have the mental horsepower to do well in college, otherwise you wouldn't have gotten a 3.49 at the end. For the schools you listed, you want to see a 700+ GMAT score, with a strong math portion, simply to mitigate your college math grade. Definitely doable.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: 3.49 GPA, 3 years WE, bad math grad, no GMAT...Advice??   [#permalink] 04 Sep 2011, 05:24