Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Aug 2014, 01:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

3 days til the exam! Any help would be greatly appreciated

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

3 days til the exam! Any help would be greatly appreciated [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 19:42
Hi all,
I am taking my test this Friday at 4:30pm. So the story is, I've done all 6 MGMAT test during the last 2 weeks and the score are as follow 670-640-670-680-700-730 with my Quant consistently around 49-51. However when I took the GMATPrep today I got 640 (Q50V30). Any advice to bring my performance up to par will be appreciated.

Thanks from New York
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 5

Re: 3 days til the exam! Any help would be greatly appreciated [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 20:45
Unfortunately with only 3 days left you really don't have time to learn any new material. Based on your quant score, you're all set in this department. As for your verbal score, the manhattangmat verbal section inflates your score considerably higher than the actual gmat. For instance, I missed 14 problems in the verbal section with manhattangmat and scored a 44 yet I missed 9 with gmatprep and only scored a 39. Clearly there is a disconnect with manhattangmat's verbal scoring algorithm. Their quant section however can be considered more challenging than the actual gmat and the score is very accurate.

The best advice I can give is to relax during the test and get a good night's sleep the night before. The most efficient use of your time right now is to focus your efforts on the verbal section you did poorly on. Unfortunately there is not much time left to master each area.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: 3 days til the exam! Any help would be greatly appreciated [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 01:38
Get yourself some good food and avoid drinking too much caffeine before the test.

Staying positive and having fun with the GMAT.

<<====[ If you like my post, press +1 on the left]

Intern
Intern

Re: 3 days til the exam! Any help would be greatly appreciated [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 09:57
Thank you for the advices, I will keep them in mind. Trying to as many SC questions as I can + go over MGMAT SC again.'Will update you guys on the score... *crossed fingers*
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 17

Re: 3 days til the exam! Any help would be greatly appreciated [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 14:38
If you can, pick up a copy of the Economist. I have found their articles to be pretty gmat like, which might be because the magazine is half owned by pearson.

Staying positive and having fun with the GMAT.

<<====[ If you like my post, press +1 on the left]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 17

Re: 3 days til the exam! Any help would be greatly appreciated [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 19:56
Frozenace wrote:
If you can, pick up a copy of the Economist. I have found their articles to be pretty gmat like, which might be because the magazine is half owned by pearson.

Can't agree more. All the articles are GMAT like. I try to ready 2-4 articles during my lunch time at work and while eating. I have segregated myself from my lunch buddies at work :(. That reminds me - I don't remember when I had fun the last time. Just a poker night in past 3 months :(. What am I becoming? It's just the beginning and the whole application process is lines up - I guess, I better not whine this early :p
Intern
Intern

Re: 3 days til the exam! Any help would be greatly appreciated [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 20:21
Oh my... Actually I usually get 2-3 wrong on RC :( My problem is actually RC. Today I did another GMATprep today, got 690 with Verbal 33 and got like 7 SC wrong. OMG!! I understand most of the grammar but in the tests, the questions are just... different. Can someone give me a quick tip on SC?!!
Thanks so much
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 17

Re: 3 days til the exam! Any help would be greatly appreciated [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 20:37
danchoihaiphong wrote:
Oh my... Actually I usually get 2-3 wrong on RC :( My problem is actually RC. Today I did another GMATprep today, got 690 with Verbal 33 and got like 7 SC wrong. OMG!! I understand most of the grammar but in the tests, the questions are just... different. Can someone give me a quick tip on SC?!!
Thanks so much

Since you have very little time left, I would not recommend any video or course, rather I would like to recommend a quick 3 step process. I had the same problem - I knew ALL rules but could not apply in the test. My SC accuracy was < 50% till 3 weeks ago, now it is close to 100% - you give me an SC and I am confident to solve it. So the 3 step process is
1) Understand the meaning of the sentence (20-40 secs)
2) Pre-phrase the errors in the sentence (10-20 secs)
3) Process of elimination (10-30 secs)

Hope this helps.
Re: 3 days til the exam! Any help would be greatly appreciated   [#permalink] 24 Aug 2011, 20:37