Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 16:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

3 - Exercise Sentence 2 - Quality of Teaching

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1238

Kudos [?]: 3421 [1] , given: 183

3 - Exercise Sentence 2 - Quality of Teaching [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2011, 11:28
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

46% (01:54) correct 54% (01:21) wrong based on 139 sessions
This question is the second practice problem in the 3rd series of Meaning based problem. Correct and best explanation will get a Kudos from us and a free subscription for 1 month to ourOG Verbal 2 solutions for Sentence Correction. OG Verbal 2 solutions contain solutions to all SC questions using e-GMAT 3 step process- amounting to 14 hrs of audio visual content. Currently 60 solutions are uploaded. The set will be completed by the end of the month.

The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development in Finland requires that all teachers have master’s degree and funds the same to ensure that its teachers impart high quality of teaching.
    A. degree and funds the same to ensure
    B. degree, funds the same, and ensures
    C. degree and fund the same to ensure
    D. degree, funds the same, ensuring
    E. degree, funding the same to ensure

We will provide the official answer in a couple of hrs.

Also Check out 5 strategies that GMAT uses to distort the meaning of the original sentence
5-strategies-that-gmat-uses-to-distort-meaning-124296.html
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Free Webinar: August 24, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Last edited by egmat on 06 May 2013, 20:55, edited 3 times in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: 3 - Exercise Sentence 2 - Quality of Teaching [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2011, 22:05
The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development in Finland requires that all teachers have master’s degree and funds the same to ensure that its teachers impart high quality of teaching.

The organization requires that all teachers have masters' degree and fund the same [to ensure that its teachers impart high quality of teaching]

Since there is a subjunctive 'requires', we need to use base form of verb i.e. 'have', & 'fund'
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 3 - Exercise Sentence 2 - Quality of Teaching [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2011, 01:59
egmat wrote:
[list]

This is subjunctive mood, and "fund" should be paralleled with "have". If "fund" is the noun, the correct form should be "the same fund", not "fund the same". So, easily we can eliminate A, B, and D.

In choice E, funding will make sense that the action of having master's degree will fund the same. I don't feel any sense in this case.

In choice C, this make more sense to me. All teachers fund the same to ensure that its teachers impart high quality of teaching.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Last edited by tuanquang269 on 17 Dec 2011, 06:59, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.01
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 32

Re: 3 - Exercise Sentence 2 - Quality of Teaching [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2011, 18:22

A. degree and funds the same to ensure -- not clear whether funding the teachers or Masters degree.
B. degree, funds the same, and ensures-- Organization cannot insure for sure. It can just try.
C. degree and fund the same to ensure -- singular funds is required here
D. degree, funds the same, ensuring-- funding the same to ensure-action to ensure something not automatically getting ensured.
E. degree, funding the same to ensure -- Present participle "funding" modifies the sentence before the comma." Same" here refers to the policy of the organization to have all the teachers with masters degree only. & it funds this policy.

I will go with E.
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative

Kudos [?]: 3421 [0], given: 183

Re: 3 - Exercise Sentence 2 - Quality of Teaching [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 07:27
Expert's post
I have just posted the official answer. I will post the solution soon. But before I do that, I want to see a few more responses with correct answer and explanation. Think little hard about the meaning of the sentence. Read the sentence and focus on the what the author is trying to say. A hint - what are the two things that the organization does?

Disclaimer:
This question probably takes meaning thing further than usual. The choices hardly have any grammatical errors. This was done on purpose to "force" the thought process in the direction of meaning and logic...

Looking forward to some more responses...

Free Webinar: August 24, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 1552 [0], given: 248

Re: 3 - Exercise Sentence 2 - Quality of Teaching [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 08:43
Expert's post
Before the meaning issue, A has a modification problem IMHO.
Meaning wise too, I do not think A conveys a logical correlation by equating requirement and funding.
More on this after the OE is out.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 3 - Exercise Sentence 2 - Quality of Teaching [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2011, 07:00
Quote:

OMG, I found my problem. The subject of "funds" is The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development in Finland.

The teachers "fund" mean something illogical. It should let the organization rather than teacher "fund".

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative

Kudos [?]: 3421 [0], given: 183

Re: 3 - Exercise Sentence 2 - Quality of Teaching [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 16:12
Expert's post
Quote:
egmat wrote:

Here is the official explanation for this question:

Understand the Meaning of the Original Sentence

The sentence presents two facts about an organization in Finland - Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. This organization does two things with an aim to ensure that its teachers impart high quality of teaching.
1. It requires that all teachers have masters’ degree
2. It funds the same – i.e. it funds the masters’ degree education of teachers.

Find the Errors in the Original Sentence

1. The Organization [/color]for Economic Cooperation and Development in Finland requires
a. that all teachers have master’s degree
2. and funds the same to ensure that its teachers impart high quality of teaching.

In this sentence the two verbs – requires and funds – make sense and agree in number with the subject - organization. Per the context of the modifier “to ensure that its teachers…”, it is clear that it provides the purpose of both the actions of the organization. This sentence is correct as is.

Review Answer Choices to do POE

Choice B – This choice no longer provides the purpose of the actions. By changing “to ensure” to “and ensures”, the sentence implies that the organization somehow (probably with some other measures) ensures that its teachers impart high quality of teachers. This is not the intended meaning of the sentence.

Choice C – This choice is also grammatically correct but it changes the intended meaning of the sentence. Per this choice, the organization requires two things from the teachers.
1. Teachers have master’s degree
2. Teachers fund the master’s degree

This is clearly not the intended meaning. Per the intended meaning, the organization requires that teachers have master’s degree and in fact the organization itself funds the same (obviously for the teachers who do not have master’s degree). The organization implements this requirement and funds the education with a single aim – high quality of teaching.

Choice D – This choice does not use correct punctuation to connect the two verbs – requires and funds.

Choice E – Use of “funding the same…” is incorrect here. Neither of the two interpretations of the verb-ing modifier is correct:
1. Organization requires that teachers have master’s degree – this results in the organization funding the education. –Illogical.
2. Organization requires that teachers have master’s degree by funding the same. - Illogical

TAKE AWAYS

1. Understand the meaning of the original sentence. Note the relationships among each part of the sentence – both from grammatical standpoint and from logical standpoint.
2. Make sure that these relationships are maintained in the correct choice as well.

Last edited by egmat on 01 Aug 2012, 07:04, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 1552 [0], given: 248

Re: 3 - Exercise Sentence 2 - Quality of Teaching [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 20:02
Expert's post
e-GMAT

You are perfectly entitled to hold your views

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.78
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: 3 - Exercise Sentence 2 - Quality of Teaching [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 02:01
Organization ... 'requires that' ... should be followed by infinitive "to ensure"
so, B,D out.

fund is a verb used for subject Organization so it should be parallel to requires. so it should be 'funds'.

In this sentence main clause ends before 'and'.
"Organization requires that Teachers have master's degree and funds ..."

the Battle continues ..

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: 3 - Exercise Sentence 2 - Quality of Teaching [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2011, 02:44
OECD requires ....... and funds. Make sense. A.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 3 - Exercise Sentence 2 - Quality of Teaching [#permalink] New post 06 May 2013, 06:29
Why is "degree" not plural?

"all teachers have degrees...."
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 27

CAT Tests
Re: 3 - Exercise Sentence 2 - Quality of Teaching [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2013, 14:09
I choose A because I was able to figure out the problems with B, C, D, and E.
Till now, I was of the opinion that a clause in "Subjunctive Mood" could only be made parallel with another clause in "Subjunctive Mood".

I had a wrong concept is another "Take Away" for me. Thanks again e-GMAT!

Is it possible to have some more examples from OG in which this kind of parallel construction have been used?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 3 - Exercise Sentence 2 - Quality of Teaching [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2013, 17:17
tuanquang269 wrote:
Quote:

OMG, I found my problem. The subject of "funds" is The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development in Finland.

The teachers "fund" mean something illogical. It should let the organization rather than teacher "fund".

How did you figure out that the subject of funds is OEC and not teachers?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-17-2013
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 22

Re: 3 - Exercise Sentence 2 - Quality of Teaching [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2014, 04:34
egmat wrote:
Quote:
egmat wrote:

Choice C – This choice is also grammatically correct but it changes the intended meaning of the sentence. Per this choice, the organization requires two things from the teachers.
1. Teachers have master’s degree
2. Teachers fund the master’s degree

This is clearly not the intended meaning. Per the intended meaning, the organization requires that teachers have master’s degree and in fact the organization itself funds the same (obviously for the teachers who do not have master’s degree). The organization implements this requirement and funds the education with a single aim – high quality of teaching.

Hi E-Gmat,

Please explain how did you figure out that the Subject of 'Fund' is Organization and not Teachers?

This is a case of ambiguity.

Thanks & Regards
Yodee

‘A good plan violently executed now is better than a
perfect plan executed next week.’

- General Georg S. Patton

Re: 3 - Exercise Sentence 2 - Quality of Teaching   [#permalink] 16 Jan 2014, 04:34