Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 19:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

3. In the context of the author's discussion of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
3. In the context of the author's discussion of  [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2006, 23:42
3. In the context of the author’s discussion of
regulating change, which of the following could be
most probably regarded as a “strong refereeâ€
Attachments

Passage 2.doc [22 KiB]
Downloaded 109 times

To download please login or register as a user

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2006, 00:39
I think that the answer is A.
The author states two opposing theories of stability and nonstability. So there are two opposing school, the one (stability) has the referee which decides whether to allow a change or not, so i think that this referee is a principal of school of statianary view of development.
Start read from line 20 till 30 it explains who decides what.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2006, 03:16
cute_smiley wrote:
I think that the answer is A.
The author states two opposing theories of stability and nonstability. So there are two opposing school, the one (stability) has the referee which decides whether to allow a change or not, so i think that this referee is a principal of school of statianary view of development.
Start read from line 20 till 30 it explains who decides what.

I also thout on similar lines...........but the OA is C...........................Dunno why though............
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2006, 04:49
may be because of word strong - "strong referee" mean that whenever he says is true, because like in court the last word is always after the judge. But i would anyway choose A. Is there any explanation?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2006, 05:06
cute_smiley wrote:
may be because of word strong - "strong referee" mean that whenever he says is true, because like in court the last word is always after the judge. But i would anyway choose A. Is there any explanation?

unfortunately there isn't any explanation, but like u said.........that the judge's word is d final word , and a judge can give a sense of direction , maybe in that case C sounds gud(the word "athourity" in the passage attached below gives an inkling).

Courtesy: "The nonstarters were
considered the ones who wanted stability, a
(30) strong referee to give them some position in the
race, a regulative hand to calm manic specula-
tion; an authority that can call things to a halt,"
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2006, 05:11
yes right, the judge has more power given by law than the school principal. So their actions (stability party) will have more effect because they will be defended by law.

I think that this is the question for one minute and like i did when i started to think too much on it and complicate everything i got the wrong answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2006, 05:55
cute_smiley wrote:
yes right, the judge has more power given by law than the school principal. So their actions (stability party) will have more effect because they will be defended by law.

I think that this is the question for one minute and like i did when i started to think too much on it and complicate everything i got the wrong answer.

exactly..........which is why i think it is important to read thruh the paragraph thoroughly.......................
  [#permalink] 11 Nov 2006, 05:55