Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 04:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

3 Questions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
3 Questions [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2005, 13:13
First:
Is it true that business school does not do much for you unless you go to a top 15?

I know this question has been posed many times and I have heard from some that it is true, from others that it isn't and yet others that it all depends on me. I personally went to Santa Clara University, a relatively unknown school (except the Bay Area) and have been able to be relatively sucessful, so you would think that that itself would answer my question but I'm don't see the two connecting. I have a degree in chemistry and that regardless of school is more rare than a business degree. And because I have such a specific skill people can overlook my school because they need my specific skill. I don't think that is the case for business, so it seems to me that pedigree would matter more, but I really don't know.

Second:
How do I find other schools that have the same "personality" as UCLA?

I have gone to info sessions of some top b-schools, namely, UCLA, Stanford, Columbia and Michigan. From Columbia I got the vibe that everyone who goes there must have a type A personality. From Stanford I got the vibe that to be admitted you must be extremely unconvential, Michigan and UCLA were almost alike in their vibe although it seemed to me that the Michigan folk were a little more Type A then UCLA. Now I know my comments might sound a bit ridiculous but a school's personality is extremely important to me. I by no means am a type A personality. I am as willing to let people lead as I am willing to lead. If I don't know what I'm talking about, I shut my mouth and listen and although I am competitive, I compete mostly with myself. I know I couldn't fit in at a place like Harvard or Wharton because of what I have heard about the people who go there, but I got the sense (atleast from the info session) that I would fit into the culture at UCLA. But UCLA happens to also be a very difficult school to get into and no matter how hard I try there are no guarantees. So what other schools (that are good enough to give me good job prospects coming out) are like UCLA. Apart from the personality, I like their AMR (Applied Management Research) program which gives you hands on training while at Business school. As someone who did scientific research in college I understand and appreciate the importance of applying theory.

Third Question:
Should I talk about this in my apps?

This is more of a personal question that I have been struggling with for ages. I was going to graduate school in chemistry years ago and I quit. I quit because I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I suppose I have had it all my life but it came on in full swing after a near fatal car accident, when a drunk driver hit me and nearly killed me, himself and his passenger. That period of my life was tough, but I got through it and one of my biggest accomplishments in life was getting through it. Now I am stable with meds and therapy and for the last four years I have been able to build a pretty successful life. The thing about it is that no one knows. My fiance knows, my family knows but of course no one at my work or even some of my friends know. The only reason I have the courage to post this here is because no one here knows what I look like. Unlike most stories, it is messy, it is fraught with failures but in my mind it is one of the biggest accomplishments of my life. When it comes time to apply I want to talk about it, as one of my accomplishments because I cannot think of anything better than I have done with my life. But I'm afraid of sounding "crazy". And I'm afraid the adcom people will reject me because they'll think I can't handle the stress. So should I talk abou this?

"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2005, 21:15
1. I plan to provide extensive coverage of this issue over the next few months. Note, however, that many of the trans elite provide opportunities that resemble those of the elite schools (e.g. Carnegie Mellon and UNC).

2. The personality of a school tends to be highly subjective, ie my opinion might differ from someone else's. However, I can suggest some schools. For instance, UCB resembles UCLA in many ways (the are part of the same "University" after all) and I would also consider the other UC programs. USC has a similar Southern California feeling (although it would be difficult for most Bruins or Trojans to admit this). University of Washington and ASU are also worth considering.

3. This might help

http://www.ollusa.edu/_services/caa/ada-fr/content.htm
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2005, 00:30
Thank you Hjort for always being quick with your responses! I look forward to what you have to say about question 1. Where do you plan on posting your extensive coverage?

"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2005, 18:26
Please see the executive biographies and commentary accumulating on the following which is part of my answer to Question 1:

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 9d4898204a
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Re: 3 Questions [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2010, 00:34
thanks for sharing.
Re: 3 Questions   [#permalink] 17 Jun 2010, 00:34