Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 16:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

3 weeks to go - Verbal Strat

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: HKUST
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

3 weeks to go - Verbal Strat [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 18:22
Hi,

My GMAT exam is in about 3 weeks time. I am currently scoring around 600 Q43-45 V23-28. I really need to improve my verbal skills. I make the maximum errors in SC. RC isn't too bad except for the last RC passage where I tend to guess due to time restrictions. I also tend to take longer to answer CR but the errors aren't as high as SC.

This is the breakdown of the most recent GMATPrep.

SC - 7-8 errors
CR - 3-4 errors
RC - 3-4 errors

My strategy from here on: I have heard that SC is the most scoring on the GMAT Verbal section. Therefore, I think investing more time in SC is a good idea. I have the MGMAT SC guide and plan to relearn the concepts and attempt all the SC qs from OG 12 and Verbal Review. For CR and RC I plan to invest less time but make sure I attempt 10 questions of each on a regular basis (books: OG12 and MGMAT guides)

Would love to get some feedback regarding the same. Since I have 3 weeks and also plan to work on my Quant I need to have a plan that will definitely work. I need to get a score in the late 600s. Is it too ambitious of me to think I can work my verbal score up to a 35?

Thanks
Aanchal
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 295

Kudos [?]: 695 [0], given: 6

Re: 3 weeks to go - Verbal Strat [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 13:52
Expert's post
My advice to you would be to really hone our your SC skills as time efficient as you can. If you can reduce your time and accuracy on SC--you'll open up extra time that you can use on the RC and CR questions. It sounds like you're doing well with RC/CR--but just don't want the added time pressure.

The solution here really is to focus in on SC and free up extra time on the other two. Try to find someone who really understands SC and watch them do it.

Hope that helps.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 62

Re: 3 weeks to go - Verbal Strat [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2011, 13:34
aanchalsinha wrote:
Hi,

My GMAT exam is in about 3 weeks time. I am currently scoring around 600 Q43-45 V23-28. I really need to improve my verbal skills. I make the maximum errors in SC. RC isn't too bad except for the last RC passage where I tend to guess due to time restrictions. I also tend to take longer to answer CR but the errors aren't as high as SC.

This is the breakdown of the most recent GMATPrep.

SC - 7-8 errors
CR - 3-4 errors
RC - 3-4 errors

The most important issue here is - are you scoring this on tougher RC/CR questions because you may be thrown easier RC/CR qn.s because of your poor SC scoring. Check your accuracy on tougher RC/CR questions (You will get this when you score well on SC;))

My strategy from here on: I have heard that SC is the most scoring on the GMAT Verbal section. Therefore, I think investing more time in SC is a good idea. I have the MGMAT SC guide and plan to relearn the concepts and attempt all the SC qs from OG 12 and Verbal Review. For CR and RC I plan to invest less time but make sure I attempt 10 questions of each on a regular basis (books: OG12 and MGMAT guides)

Do not solve OG just like that, rather try to check if your line of thinking is similar to OG's.
Also go through the solution for all the 5 choices because you may have eliminated answers due to wrong reasons.
Try to identify patterns and you will see SC is so simple. That is the key here.

Would love to get some feedback regarding the same. Since I have 3 weeks and also plan to work on my Quant I need to have a plan that will definitely work. I need to get a score in the late 600s. Is it too ambitious of me to think I can work my verbal score up to a 35?

Thanks
Aanchal

Labor cost for typing this post >= Labor cost for pushing the Kudos Button
kudos-what-are-they-and-why-we-have-them-94812.html

Intern
Intern
Schools: HKUST

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: 3 weeks to go - Verbal Strat [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2011, 14:18
Thanks a lot Krishp84 and gmatpill. Both your inputs are very valuable.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: 3 weeks to go - Verbal Strat [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2011, 14:25
thanks for sharing . good tips
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: 3 weeks to go - Verbal Strat [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2011, 14:28
Get in habit to complete in 70 minutes, time pressure can screw up the whole exam. I experience my one practice test getting screwed up because of not managing time well.
Re: 3 weeks to go - Verbal Strat   [#permalink] 14 Jul 2011, 14:28